Free State Project Forum
270516 Posts in 22080 Topics by 36319 Members / Latest Member: Kara MarĂ­
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 09:22:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP Community
| |-+  Porcupine Festival (Moderator: MengerFan)
| | |-+  Top things to do for foreigners
« previous next »
Pages: [1]  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top things to do for foreigners  (Read 2473 times)
teemuv

Ignore
Top things to do for foreigners
« on: May 07, 2009, 03:37:10 am »

Me and my wife are coming to the porcfest (we are both from Finland), but I'd like to have some sort of idea what we definitely should see and do. When and where. So I hope I could get some help Smiley I'm very much into moving to NH but she's not. So in that regard I guess the festival could give us both some real idea about moving to the area.

There's the bus tour(s) that I'm looking forward and the things listed on http://www.freestateproject.org/news/festival. But is there something in the festival that is a must for us or should we aim also for something outside of the festival? We currently have an open schedule when to arrive and leave.
lloydbob1

Email
Re: Top things to do for foreigners
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 05:17:36 am »

Porcfest is the people. The area is beautiful, but, the hanging out with other Porcs is what you will bring back from your trip. We only have one Fjord and it is in a neighboring state.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:19:31 am by Lloyd Danforth » Logged
Porcupine Realtor
FSP Participant

Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 05:40:20 am »

There is a Finn who moved here over a year ago to join the FSP.   I'll send him a link to this thread. 
Besides the PorcFest tours, if you have enough time you may want to visit the Keene area one day and meet some of the folks there.  Another nice day trip or overnight stay is in Boston (if you like large cities).  It's crowded and bustling, but there is a lot of interesting history there to see while visiting. 
Check out this website for other possible itineraries and things to do:  www.visitnh.com

www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064
Dreepa
First 1000
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 09:59:22 am »

My wife speaks Finnish.. but she is not coming to Porcfest...
Simon Jester
First 1000
FSP Participant

Peas: Don't hate them because they're round

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 09:59:53 am »

Moi! My husband's the Finn who moved here over a year ago. Great to know there are more and more Finns signing up with the FSP---we thought we knew all the Finns in it Cheesy. We'll be at Porcfest Friday through Sunday. I definitely recommend the bus tours as a great way to see the state an if you want touristy stuff, Boston's Freedom trail is good as is Portsmouth's Strawberry Banke (these are historical touristy things). As for nature, Franconia national park is pretty and worth a visit, as is Mt Washington.

We only have one Fjord and it is in a neighboring state.

They'll be relieved, since the same is true of Finland Wink

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
teemuv

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:08:40 pm »

Moi! My husband's the Finn who moved here over a year ago. Great to know there are more and more Finns signing up with the FSP---we thought we knew all the Finns in it Cheesy. We'll be at Porcfest Friday through Sunday. I definitely recommend the bus tours as a great way to see the state an if you want touristy stuff, Boston's Freedom trail is good as is Portsmouth's Strawberry Banke (these are historical touristy things). As for nature, Franconia national park is pretty and worth a visit, as is Mt Washington.
Moi! Smiley It'd be nice to meet you guys. I think I've read your story from these boards or something.

Mt. Washington seems like a must see and the others you mentioned too. So now we need a car to get us around Tongue

Thank you so much for these.
CurtHowland
FSP Participant

Mover #902. If not for the deer, maybe #901!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 10:19:51 am »

As a Linux user, I have a soft spot for Finns.

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Tech blog fun: http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/
MK

AKA Markus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 11:27:07 pm »

Welcome Teemuv!

That's so great that you guys will be able to attend this movement's biggest social event of the year, PorcFest!  I think it will be a trip of a lifetime for you guys!

If possible, I would do my touring before or after PF because you don't want to be away from the site during the fest as there are too many people to meet at this unique once a year chance,  a number of whom you may likely never meet otherwise, as the people who have moved to NH, have moved all over the state, each following their own compass. Smiley

NH is not that big if you have a car a little time to drive.  You'll definately have time to visit every major area (Concord, Manchester, Portsmouth/Seacoast, Keene, and even Grafton and beyond).  Youl'll also be on the doorstep of the beautiful Lakes Region (just south PF) that has a whole world that comes alive on the water, during the summer months. 

Look forward to meeting you and I"ll see you at PF!

Markus

The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.
TEBON

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 05:11:27 am »

I really dig Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth. . . it's worth checking out.
seamas
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 09:29:17 pm »

Wow, there are a number of Finns amongst us.  My girlfriend is Estonian-American - please come by our camp site and say hi (it's site 56 and will have an old BMW motorcycle parked there).  If nothing else we can point you to a great sauna builder (he said that Estonians build the saun before they build the house).

As far as things to do, it depends on if this is your first trip to NH.  New Hampshire is very diverse and one can live by the ocean, in a suburb of Boston, in a Ivy League college town, on a large lake, in the mountains, or in the northern wilderness.  Rogers is above the mountains and below the northern woods and not typical of where most people in NH live so you might want to look at Nashua, Manchester, the lakes region, etc.  Talking to people will probably be very informative and that you are considering moving from abroad will thrill many people.

Me and my wife are coming to the porcfest (we are both from Finland), but I'd like to have some sort of idea what we definitely should see and do. When and where. So I hope I could get some help Smiley I'm very much into moving to NH but she's not. So in that regard I guess the festival could give us both some real idea about moving to the area.

There's the bus tour(s) that I'm looking forward and the things listed on http://www.freestateproject.org/news/festival. But is there something in the festival that is a must for us or should we aim also for something outside of the festival? We currently have an open schedule when to arrive and leave.
teemuv

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 12:26:58 am »

Wow, there are a number of Finns amongst us.  My girlfriend is Estonian-American - please come by our camp site and say hi (it's site 56 and will have an old BMW motorcycle parked there).  If nothing else we can point you to a great sauna builder (he said that Estonians build the saun before they build the house).
We'll do that Smiley And yes, sauna should be built before anything else Tongue

There's a reason to meet people originating from same place. The reason is that these people, like your girlfriend for example, can give very valuable information how the moving went, what mistakes she did, how radically everything seemed to change and what's the best compared between the two (or so) places.

As far as things to do, it depends on if this is your first trip to NH.  New Hampshire is very diverse and one can live by the ocean, in a suburb of Boston, in a Ivy League college town, on a large lake, in the mountains, or in the northern wilderness.  Rogers is above the mountains and below the northern woods and not typical of where most people in NH live so you might want to look at Nashua, Manchester, the lakes region, etc.  Talking to people will probably be very informative and that you are considering moving from abroad will thrill many people.
We'll well definitely see Manchester, but I hope to see something else too. Perhaps Keene, as some have pointed out.
Cat Herder

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 03:53:36 pm »

Wow, there are a number of Finns amongst us.  My girlfriend is Estonian-American [...]

I'm glad that Northern Europe (and especially Baltics) is well represented here (I'm from Latvia myself).  Wink
Pages: [1]  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: