Free State Project Forum
271223 Posts in 22215 Topics by 36620 Members / Latest Member: Joshualest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 09:26:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP Community
| |-+  Porcupine Festival
| | |-+  Old PorcFests (Moderator: Sovereign Curtis)
| | | |-+  Long Shot Help Needed
« previous next »
Pages: [1]  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Long Shot Help Needed  (Read 6201 times)
Evenstar
FSP Participant

FSP Participant

Ignore
Long Shot Help Needed
« on: May 26, 2007, 12:15:04 am »

I know this is an extreme long shot, but I figured I'd post our needs and see what, if anything, can be done to help get me (and possibly my family) to PorcFest this year.

My family consists of me, my husband, and our son who'll be three years old by the time of this year's PorcFest.  My hubby is a bit particular and doesn't feel comfortable being the passenger in a vehicle unless he's completely incompacitated (he wouldn't let me drive him to the ER with a kidney stone, as an example), so ride sharing is rather difficult unless someone wants to join us in our ride (a five passenger car, so might be a bit tight).

Besides transport, there's food and lodging.  I think we could work out tent camping, though my hubby is leary (he was raised "camping" in hotels or an RV).  I'm not sure if my parents have an acceptable tent or if we'd need to borrow one elsewhere.

Financially, I think we could maybe pull together $500 or so towards the costs of the trip but even that would be difficult and any more than that is probably not possible.  My husband isn't sure that would even be enough to get us there with gas prices being what they are.

Finally, my husband has very broad shoulders and minor claustophobia... this is really only a problem when it comes to bathroom facilities.  If there's a public bath with a handicap stall with the toilet fairly centrally placed that can work, but he can't manage standard public stalls and has issues with most modern construction bathrooms because of the "privacy" walls that tend to be placed right next to the commode.  The bathroom thing is pretty critical.  He needs about a foot from the edge of the john to the nearest obstruction (incl. paper dispensers) on each side.  He also would need access to the bathroom 24 hours a day as he frequently needs to get up at night.

I'd really like to be able to go, and would consider (with much regret) going by myself (without hubby and son) if that's the only way we can do it.  If it's just me I can share a ride with anyone, bunk anywhere with anyone, though if camping I'd need an air mattress as my weight won't allow anything approximating decent sleep on the ground. Our whole family tends towards night owls, so late night parties aren't a problem, even less so if it's just me.

My family is signed up as First 1000 movers and we would kind of like the chance to look at some land rurally in the approximate vacinity of Keene (where we plan to end up).  It's been very up and down for me with this whole wanting to go but not having the money.  I'd love to find a way to go, but if not there's always next year, I guess.

Searching for my place in "Life, the Universe, and Everything" one day at a time.
Maybe I've finally found it... in NH! (www.FreeStateProject.org)
Visit my blog.
Russell Kanning
FSP Participant

Ignore
Re: Long Shot Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 10:22:09 am »

I don't see how any of us can help. Should we recommend a good shrink for your husband? Tongue

If he doesn't like tenting and shared restrooms then you need an rv or a hotel room nearby.
If he can't ride, then I guess he needs to drive.

I recommend looking at land .... after you live here. It is hard to make those decisions from long distance.
Since you are committed to moving, maybe saving your pennies for the move is a good idea. Smiley

I know sometimes I am not helpful, but those were the thoughts that popped into my head.

NHArticleTen
FSP Participant

Join The Ron Paul Write-In Revolution Today!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 09:55:11 pm »

Thanks Russell,
Any ideas are better than no ideas...

Bald Eagle

Is it time yet?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 05:28:32 pm »

Valium or Xanax?  Propranolol (Inderal)?
A 5th of scotch might take the edge off as well.

Maybe if you bring a big mirror it will give the illusion of the space being bigger.

I dunno.  Just winging it here.
Evenstar
FSP Participant

FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 05:30:57 pm »

Thanks for your consideration and your humor.  Smiley  It turns out that (no big surprise) we're going to have to wait for next year when, hopefully, our finances will be in better order.  Have a great time and see you soon in the Free State!

Searching for my place in "Life, the Universe, and Everything" one day at a time.
Visit my blog.
Mrbrobones

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 08:08:55 pm »

I don't know where your comming from. I'm crossing on I-80 and have plenty of room but I'm not comming back. If that would help let me know.
lloydbob1

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 07:05:04 am »

Those post are a year old
NHArticleTen
FSP Participant

Join The Ron Paul Write-In Revolution Today!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 07:21:38 am »

Those post are a year old

even in the time cube?

Evenstar
FSP Participant

FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 11:01:45 am »

It looks like we're going to have to miss this year as well.  Sad  But I do finally have a "drop dead" date for our move to NH.  Hubby promises we'll be on the ground in New Hampshire no later than July 1, 2009.  It's longer than I wanted, but at least the light at the end of the tunnel is brightening.  Smiley

Visit my blog.
Free_Marketeer

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 11:10:11 pm »

It looks like we're going to have to miss this year as well.  Sad  But I do finally have a "drop dead" date for our move to NH.  Hubby promises we'll be on the ground in New Hampshire no later than July 1, 2009.  It's longer than I wanted, but at least the light at the end of the tunnel is brightening.  Smiley

Have you signed up for the Next1000 pledge, yet?
Evenstar
FSP Participant

FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 07:07:19 am »

Actually, we signed up for the First 1000, but we're going to be a smidge late.

Visit my blog.
Pages: [1]  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: