Free State Project Forum
271230 Posts in 22216 Topics by 36621 Members / Latest Member: opiniomfoge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 01:16:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP Community
| |-+  Just for Under 21
| | |-+  The FSP in simple terms for kids
« previous next »
Pages: [1]  Go Down Print
Author Topic: The FSP in simple terms for kids  (Read 5194 times)
Harrypotter

Founder of the Midukon Challengers

Ignore
The FSP in simple terms for kids
« on: August 05, 2002, 04:58:42 pm »

Can someone please explain what FSP is all about, in simple terms that kids can understand.  For example,  how will this effect us in terms of education, rights and freedoms in the new state, parents rights to make more choices for us, and eventually issues like getting a drivers lic., voting, etc?

Harry Potter
JasonPSorens
Administrator

Neohantonum liberissimum erit.

Re:The FSP in simple terms for kids
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2002, 06:15:56 pm »

Probably the biggest immediate impact the FSP will have on kids will be with respect to the need to adjust to new surroundings, make new friends, and so on.  When I was young my family moved around a great deal, and it was difficult to make friends.  There will be some adjustment when the Free State happens, to be sure.  But in the long run, I think the Free State will be a great place for kids.  It will be a place with real communities, where families lay down roots and have a real purpose in staying for the long haul.  Who knows, maybe kids will be playing baseball in cul-de-sacs again.  When I was little kids still did that (just 15 years ago), but it's been a long time since I've seen that.  Maybe video games are at fault, but I think a loss of community is also to blame.  The Free State will have community, for sure.

The Free State will also have better, private schools and universities, better, private parks, safer neighborhoods, and better, responsible families.  The overall impact on kids should be overwhelmingly positive, in my view.  I wish I could grow up in a Free State! Smiley

"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Neo-Jeffersonian

Life Boy Scout and NRA Sharpshooter.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2002, 08:59:35 pm »

What is FSP all about?  What is the objective of creating a Free State?  

Gandalf

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"--Patrick Henry, 1776

"It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked." --Unknown.
Elizabeth
Former FSP Vice President

Someone has to ask the tough questions...

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2002, 09:53:33 pm »

Hi new people!  Welcome to the discussion.  Cool names, let me know if you want me to host a pic for your profiles.

The purpose of the FSP is to make a place to live and work where people are allowed to take responsibility for themselves, and keep interference in their lives to a minimum.

This means that families should be allowed to raise their children as they see fit (without hurting anyone, of course), kids should be able to go to any school their parents want them to -- or no school, for that matter (although don't tell your parents I said that  Wink), and people should be able to start businesses without lots of regulations and rules and taxes bogging them down.

The best way to do this, as far as we can figure out, is to get a lot of people who feel the same way to move to the same place and spend several years voting to eliminate government interference.

Does that help?
Neo-Jeffersonian

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2002, 06:50:25 pm »

Indeed, that does help.  It is much clearer.

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"--Patrick Henry, 1776

"It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked." --Unknown.
Charno

I'm a llama!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2002, 10:59:31 pm »

I dunno, you can't simplify too much.
Neo-Jeffersonian

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2002, 10:09:04 pm »

Quote from: Charno I dunno, you can't simplify too much.
[/quote

But Charno, such people as Elizabeth, Jason, Mega Joule, and Dex Sinister have simplified it quite a lot, therefore proving that you are wrong.

THE WHITE RIDER

Mega Joule

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2002, 11:10:46 pm »

Quote from: Gandalf the White

Quote from: Charno I dunno, you can't simplify too much.
[/quote

But Charno, such people as Elizabeth, Jason, Mega Joule, and Dex Sinister have simplified it quite a lot, therefore proving that you are wrong.

Well that's direct.  Maybe Charno just did not know how to express it simple terms.
Meg

"One essential of a free government is that it rest wholly on voluntary support.  And one certain proof that a goverment is not free, is that it coerces more or less persons to support it, against their will."  (Lysander Spooner, 1867)
Neo-Jeffersonian

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2002, 02:18:46 pm »

Maybe Charno just did not know how to express it simple terms.

I think you are right, Meg.  If Charno didn't know how to express it in simple terms then perhaps he shouldn’t have replied to this specific topic.

Margot Keyes (SUNSHINE)
Greeter Coordinator
FSP Participant

Mama of a prickle of four porcupine pups

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 12:24:46 pm »

:DHi there folks!!

I realize no one has been to this thread in some time, but perhaps it will be revived.

Speaking as a parent of four, I would LOVE to see my children grow up and learn in communities that care about one another's freedoms and not in public schools that suck the life out of children.  No school?? That is the best idea I have heard in a long time!!!  My husband had the great idea that "school" should be a non-formal process perhaps located in a library where adults and children alike learn various subjects based on what is interesting to them - not something that some teacher had been dictating as important- which may turn out to be useless.  Right now my older two children are being taught in a Montessori school of which my husband and I approve greatly.  My other ones are too little to start and are being taught by me- the first teacher is the parent.  

Anyway, there is so much benefit to children and teens in the FS that I hope their parents see it and sign up.  It is not a quick and easy decision for families, hence we are still on the fence, but overall somebody has to do something to turn around the world, a little piece at a time.

Read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.  We may not be at that point yet, but the world may get there and we will need people like you to do what they did, if necessary.

Hope one day to meet you all -- maybe I will be the one organizing a youth and teen center to help begin that "community feeling" again!

Peace!

Any alleged 'right' of one man, which necessitates the violation of the rights of another, is not and cannot be a right.
-- Ayn Rand
ShrineGuard

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2003, 09:58:26 pm »

Atlas Shrugged is quite a difficult challange for many readers.  I believe the paperback is a hefty 1077 pages long.  Every page is worth it, that's for sure, but I wouldn't say it's something for the youngest among us don't want to climb the mountain before you can appreciate it.

I can't think of any younger-reader libertarianish literature off the top of my head, but I'm sure it has to exist.

Very nice how you resurrected this thread on the anniversary of its creation, heh.
Margot Keyes (SUNSHINE)
Greeter Coordinator
FSP Participant

Mama of a prickle of four porcupine pups

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2003, 09:13:14 pm »

8)Hey down there is sunny New Orleans (where my hubby was born by the way...) yes, you are right that Atlas Shrugged is a challenge- even to those of us nearly twice your age  Grin...but perhaps reading some of Thomas Jefferson's writings or simply some of our founding father's documents that molded this country's beginnings (which this movement is trying to get back to) which are unfortunately NOT taught in many public schools--those would be good starts.   Anyway, keep thinking and being a part of this forum and the FSP.  Thanks! Have a great day!

Any alleged 'right' of one man, which necessitates the violation of the rights of another, is not and cannot be a right.
-- Ayn Rand
arclight
FSP Participant

Constitutionalist!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2003, 09:43:23 pm »

Have kids at least read and understand the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Federalist etc. Then maybe they will come to some logical conclusiuons of their own? Maybe they will be the next Antonin Scalia? That would be nice!   I also believe that the FSP would revive the community setting, and the values that made this country so many years ago and that so many have foresaken.
I can't wait!

" The harder I work, the more luck I seem to have"   Thomas Jefferson
Ceol Mhor
FSP Participant

I'm a porcupine!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2003, 10:06:34 pm »

A lot of Heillein's writing is both very pro-freedom and great reading for youths. Heck, my library stocks a lot of in tthe 'Young Adult' section.
Jaytina

why is everyone automatically a llama?

Ignore
Re: for kids
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2003, 08:54:10 am »

I thought I might offer this to younger people (and a lot of older peolple too) as a way to clarify issues as well as to get thinking in a liberty-oriented way: question the necessity of the rule.
 Boil everything down as basic as you can, and ask yourself why this is necessary.

For example, driver's licenses. In my state, the government is soon going to enact a fee on driver's licenses. But this jarred me; why does the state have the ability to sell me the right to drive my car? What business is it of theirs to grant me driving priveleges?

The conclusions are twofold: Firstly, the practice of driving was originally a right (for those who had cars), and the government unnecessarily turned it into a privelege they could grant to those they wanted to. Secondly, a common answer is that the state mandates licenses in order to make the roads safer for everybody. However, when you think about it, this is not true. Young drivers who want to drive will simply do so without a license. They do this for the same reasons older people whose licenses have been revoked will still drive; because the license is not the reason people drive, and drive safely.   Another comment to make proving the license is not the motivating factor is that plenty of people have their licenses, and get in accidents nonetheless.
 Hopefully, when asked if driver's licenses are necessary, with a little thought the answer is No, driver's licenses were unnecessarily put into use and have little to no effect on the safety of driving.

Phew! Looks longer when I write it out!
 -Justina
Pages: [1]  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: