Good ol' Antarctica!
A land of little to no laws or no regulations. You could almost do anything you want there. There is an international treaty called the "Antarctic Treaty System", but it doesn't prohibit much. It only prohibits "military activity, such as weapons testing". But this treaty is far from enforced. In any case we libertarians would only do peaceful activities. But yea, I am sure that is perfectly legal to move yourself and your family to some region in Antarctica, build a very insulated house with TONS of heating, and live there totally free from ANY cost obligation (except stuff linked to your true well-being).
Perhaps we libertarians can move to the warmest parts of Antarctica and start a libertarian civilization with an eternal libertarian constitution. It will be a place where you can do anything you want with yourself and your property as long as you don't infringe on the rights of others. We can create a government that can NEVER be changed and will forever be a government that protects everyone from force, fraud, and theft as well as the enforcement of contracts. After the forever libertarian government is established we may be able to expand to the entire continent so liberty will be universal.
Or we can have a forever anarcho-capitalist system, depending on what we find as best. Perhaps we can make one half of the continent a minarchist system and the other half an anarcho capitalist system.
Of course there is only one major problem. Antarctica is a cold dry desert. It is so cold, dry, and windy that it has never had an indigenous human population.
But I think you all know that. So how do we get around this major climate problem? Well there are many ways we can do this. Perhaps with the help of some geologists we can lower the temperature or something. Or create huge structures where we can put towns (like a big bubble, glass cover, or something like that
If we get really good and can melt the entire continent, this is how it will look;
Now if we can achieve this then a free libertarian nation state(s) is very possible! I don't think we have the technology to melt all the ice right now, but one thing is for sure. We need to build this civilization above dry land!
What are your thoughts?
Nice idea, but I have numerous issues with it.
1) First of all, Antarctica is not free land for the taking. Last time I checked, much/all of it was claimed by existing nation-states. It's divided up like a pie, with several different nations each owning a slice. So you may very well be able to move down there and build yourself a house, and it's entirely possible that nobody would notice or care for some time. But technically you'd be squatting on someone's property. And they would have the legal right to show up at any time and evict you.
Just double-checked, here's a graphic of the Antarctic pie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Antarctica.jpg
This graphic raises interesting questions. If the continent ever *is* populated, what will be the dominant language?? Spanish? French? 'Strain/Kiwi? Norwegian?!
2) In addition to the ban on military activity, there are numerous conservationist edicts in effect.
2) It would take an incredible amount of money to pull this off. Since there's no infrastructure, you'd have to pay primo to have everything you need delivered to you via bush pilot, ATV, or kayak.
3) It's an environment that few human beings, of any political stripe, would voluntarily choose to live in. No sun for months, then no darkness for months. Look at how Seattle has the highest suicide rate in the U.S., and that's just cause it's CLOUDY. You might want to think about serious psychological screening on anyone who wants to join your polar community, to try to minimize the chances of someone going completely bongof*** and blowing everyone else away prior to commiting suicide. Talk about "bipolar"...
4) "Eternal", "forever" government? Come on... I think the history of our species shows that we'll never pull that off. Even if you achieve it at a certain moment in time, you never know what's going to happen within/to your country: epidemics, hostile neighbors, rogue tsunami, charismatic psychopath with insatiable lust for power... The best that can be hoped for is good govt right now, dependent upon "eternal vigilance" of at least a forceful minority of the governed population. Just my opinion.