Free State Project Forum
271560 Posts in 22289 Topics by 36760 Members / Latest Member: LibertyFenix
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 05:26:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP -- General Discussion
| |-+  General FSP Discussion
| | |-+  Free State Project meets Second Life
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Free State Project meets Second Life  (Read 31886 times)
Jason Rand

Ignore
Free State Project meets Second Life
« on: August 07, 2006, 04:04:21 pm »

Is there anyone else here who has explored Second Life?  I've been busy exploring this virtual world for the last few months, and observing how companies and non-profit organizations are jumping in for outreach and building communities around brands.  Its time that Free Staters explore Second Life and take advantage of the rich possibilities for interaction and outreach, not to mention building real businesses that can be managed from anywhere!  That business incubator, coffee shop, library, etc. that you've been dreaming about?  Why not build it in Second Life?

If you haven't heard of Second Life, it has been described as a 3D Myspace.  I won't try and describe SL in this post, but I would like to anounce that I'm planning a mixed reality event for promoting the FSP.  It will be like a virtual PorcFest, taking place in Second Life, but also synchronized with real life gatherings taking place around the country.    I imagine that there are a number of you who have heard of Second Life (its getting into the media quite frequently these days) and have just been waiting for a good excuse to go check it out.  So, here's your excuse!

Go to secondlife.com to see the system requirements.  You do need a high speed connection.  The free basic account is adequate.  (You don't need to upgrade to a premium until you want to own land)  Once you make it inworld, and you make it through the introductory tutorials, look me up.  If I'm not online, send me an IM so I know you've made it.  I haven't nailed down a date yet, but it will likely take place in early to mid September.  Porcupines, I'll see you in the metaverse!

Jason Rand

Ignore
Re: Free State Project meets Second Life
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 02:14:42 pm »

I've created a group within Second Life called, what else, "Free State Project".   My name in-game is Ray Bock, so please look me up.  Here's a picture of what I look like, although I may be wearing a FSP t-shirt instead.  The avatar I am using was a freebie.  Don't worry, you don't have to look as ridiculous as this.  I wear the groucho glasses/nose when I go undercover.

http://www.sluniverse.com/pics/pic.aspx?id=78196&sort=PictureID+desc&Search=awesome+av

Friday
First 1000
FSP Participant

I'm a browncoat!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 03:05:08 pm »

Wow, I never heard about this before!   Shocked  I'm almost afraid to try it out, in case it's too much fun.

Jason, can you give your avatar a T-shirt that says "First 1000" on it?  Wink

Free your mind, and your ass will follow. -- Parliament/Funkadelic
Friday
First 1000
FSP Participant

I'm a browncoat!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 03:25:02 pm »

My computer is too wimpy to handle Second Life.  :'(

Free your mind, and your ass will follow. -- Parliament/Funkadelic
Denis Goddard
First 1000
FSP Participant

Free the Mallocs!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 04:00:11 pm »

My past experience with addictive computer games suggests I would do best not to touch "second" life, for fear of losing my primary one.
But major huge giant kudos and thanks to you, Jason, for setting this up!

RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 05:21:49 pm »

this is a great idea...i had tried to talk  free staters into  linking up in WW2 online but  nothing came of it.  however, as with all things Free State, i had faith that eventually something like that would happen spontaneously and here it is happening (I hope).

The Revolution is now Televised
http://RidleyReport.com
Klaus
FSP Participant

(The Swiss) are most armed and most free.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 06:13:52 pm »

I'm in; Klaus Duesenburg is my SL name (tried for Klaus Stechelschwein but no go).

Nik
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 06:54:31 pm by Klaus » Logged

All the armies in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come.
- Victor Hugo
Jason Rand

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 08:32:22 pm »

Yes Friday, you could put a First 1000 logo on just about anything.  Here's a picture of my first purchase, a gadsden flag.  It cost me 50 Linden dollars which is the in-game currency.  For this picture I planted the flag in a 'sandbox' which is a place where anyone can go and practice building things.  I took the picture using the built-in snapshot feature.  I then sent the image to the third-party site.   You can also send a 'postcard' to any e-mail address. 

In the background is some landscaped land that is privately owned.  By default there is no zoning in Second Life except in planned communities.  The exchange rate right now is somewhere around 300 Linden Dollars to 1 USD, but it is a floating market exchange based upon people placing buy and sell orders.  The exchange market is at www.slexchange.com.

Picture of my gadsden flag:
http://www.sluniverse.com/pics/pic.aspx?id=92953&sort=PictureID+desc&Name=Ray+Bock
Jason Rand

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 11:10:52 pm »

I'm happy to report that the Free State Project group in Second Life has a whopping 7 members now.  Watch out Facebook!  The most recent member to join is a suspiciously named character, Quetzalcoatl Janitor, AKA Jason Sorens (This is in his public profile; you can share as little or as much of your real life info as you choose).  My name in-game is Ray Bock, and I hope to see more of you soon.

The date of the mixed reality event is tentatively set for saturday, Sept 16th.  If there is any reason this date should be adjusted please let me know! Mixed reality means this:

Real life gatherings will be coordinated with a simultaneous Second Life gathering.  I'm working on having a radio station or podcaster cover the event live, from within Second Life.  Free Talk Live is my top choice, since this would be a mutually beneficial, but if they can't do it I have some other options.

There will be at least one real life gathering/party in NH (locations being determined now) where some computers will be set up for people to check out Second Life.  You don't have to have any computer experience.  There will be people to help you.  Hopefully a lot of you will attend, and as we fill up one location, we can add more. I'm hearing some good feedback suggesting that there will be some local groups around the country organizing their own gatherings as well. So, you won't want to miss this.  Think of it as a virtual PorcFest. 

At the real life parties there will be wine provided, and sent all the way from the Stormhoek winery in South Africa.  THIS IS IMPORTANT: If you have a local FSP group that wants to participate, you need to let me know by the end of August where it will be and how many people will attend.  Stormhoek needs 2 weeks to coordinate shipping.  After that you can still join our virtual party from wherever you are, but you will only get virtual wine.  Now, about the wine.  You may be scatching you head about what Stormhoek wine has to do with the FSP.  Well, Stormhoek is a company that has been sending free wine to bloggers and sponsoring tech parties.  They have garnered an impressive amount of media buzz and they have a high profile blogger on the payroll who is making sure that any time they do anything interesting, it gets amplified across the internet.  I offered to have them sponsor our FSP party in Second Life, and they loved the idea.  So, this will be their debut in Second Life.  They will be attending from South Africa as well.  This WILL be interesting, and it WILL get media attention.  Join us and you can say, "I was there!"

What else is planned for this event?

It will be the grand opening for Second Life's first PORCUPINE PETTING ZOO.

This will be a place to highlight activity in NH and especially ongoing projects.  If you have a pet project and you want to get the word out, you can submit a description of what you are working on, and what kind of help you need.  Each porcupine in the zoo will represent a different pet project.  Visitors to the zoo can show support by petting the porcupines they like.  So this will be a fun, interactive way to both share information amongst ourselves about new and interesting projects, but also with the growing SL community.  When people come to visit the PORCUPINE PETTING ZOO (and who wouldn't be curious enough to check it out!) they will hopefully leave with a good sense of the breadth and depth of activity that is going on in NH.  I am currently interviewing and taking resume's for the zookeeper position; post resume's below and IM me either on this board or in SL for more details.   

I will be sharing some of the other tricks up my virtual sleeve shortly.  If you have ideas for improving this party, I want to hear them.
Minsk

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 11:43:58 pm »

I think I may be forced to reinstall my SL client and come see that... (Minsk Oud, not that it would be hard to recognize or anything)

Though before then I'll have to spend some time in front of the video camera at the lab and get my avatar tweaked. It's a little uninteresting at the momet, and I'd rather build it myself than beg, borrow or steal.
JasonPSorens
Administrator

Neohantonum liberissimum erit.

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 10:54:37 am »

The most recent member to join is a suspiciously named character, Quetzalcoatl Janitor, AKA Jason Sorens (This is in his public profile; you can share as little or as much of your real life info as you choose). 

Yes, it is a bit silly! All the last names they offered me to choose from were pretty silly, so I chose the silliest and added a silly first name as well. I even edited my appearance a bit to look a little more like myself IRL. Looking forward to it!

"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Jason Rand

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 11:12:12 am »

Welcome Mr Janitor and Mr Oud!  Minsk, make sure you join the Free State Project group right away if you can.  I'm trying to catch up with the Facebook group.  More members, please!

Now, for a fun story about an interesting experience I had this morning in Second Life.  I had just arrived at Zephyr Heights, a very cool place featured in this article on the front page of The Phoenix, not long ago.  This is well worth the read if you want to know more about SL before getting your FREE account: 

http://www.thephoenix.com/article_ektid17440.aspx

Zephyr Heights is a special place to me since it was where I made some of my first friends in SL, and I was there at the grand opening.  We had a fun water balloon fight, did some skateboarding, and I even got a trophy for a boxwood derby I entered.  When I get a house, I will probably have a special shelf for that trophy, making room, of course, for the huge Golden Porcupine trophy I expect to be getting.

So anyway, this morning I arrived at Zephyr Heights and was standing on the street when I was greeted by a big pink bunny.  He tried to sell me some weed.  I declined.  That’s when a female cop showed up and told me not to trust the bunny.  She was an officer of the Zephyr Heights Police Department and I wasn’t quite sure what would happen.  Zephyr Heights is a private parcel so I wasn’t sure what kinds of laws the ZHPD enforced.  Was there a law against virtual weed here?   Did the bunny have a rap sheet?  I politely asked the officer.  Well, the reason not to trust the pink bunny should be obvious, just look at him!  That was the gist of her reply.  Duh!  I laughed at myself for overlooking the obvious.  I was also told that the only job of the ZHPD is to eat donuts and drink coffee.  I had not noticed the donut with pink frosting in the officer’s hand.  I started to virtually salivate.  Yum, donuts.

It also happened that the police chief was standing nearby, although he was not on duty and was not in uniform.  He yelled at the junior officer for not eating enough donuts.  I immediately took a liking to these officers of the law.  We then headed over to an old warehouse to play russian roulette.  I had heard about this game (in the article above), and I thought it would be a hoot to play with a pink bunny and a few of ZHPD’s finest.

So after a bungled attempt to get us all in the police cruiser, we took another unmarked car, although I seem to have been stuck in the trunk with my head sticking out of the side of the car.  It was awkward, to say the least.  Arriving at the second story warehouse, the four of us sat down, picked up the 6 shooters, and started to play.  I got killed my first shot.  I thought it might be rigged, but my luck picked up in later rounds. 

Here are some pics from that tense experience.  For some reason here the female cop is holding her donut to her head.  The donut was apparently loaded. 

http://www.sluniverse.com/pics/pic.aspx?id=95807&sort=PictureID+desc

Here’s another picture after the bunny and the off duty chief got knocked out of the game.   You can’t see it, but I’m sweating bullets here.

http://www.sluniverse.com/pics/pic.aspx?id=95808&sort=PictureID+desc

I think this cop is hawt.  Clearly she does not eat enough donuts.  Hmmm, donuts.
Klaus
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 12:17:41 pm »

Jason,

What time on September 16?

- Victor Hugo
Jason Rand

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 01:29:12 pm »

Its not determined yet.  If you have a time that you think would be good for your group could be online, please let me know.
Klaus
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 02:12:05 pm »

Its not determined yet.  If you have a time that you think would be good for your group could be online, please let me know.

I'd recommend late afternoon or evening.  Say may 6pm CST/7pm FST?  Let me know ASAP on the time and I'll send out an invite to all local groups.  Minnesota will have a party and participate for sure, I'll let you know numbers by end of the month, and the wine will definitely help attendance  Wink.  Also, where will the event be in SL?  I'd like to put that on our event info.

I may need your help in drafting an invite to the LGs; I'll do a draft and pass along to you for feedback.  If this is an important event for Stormhoek, I'd like to link to their site and with their permission include their logo or something to identify them specifically if possible.

Finally on a personal note, can you recommend a good haberdashery in SL?  I look pretty lame in SL (yeah ok y'all can forego the comments that I look lame in RL also, everyone already knows that!), so want to spruce up for the party.

Thanks!
Nik

- Victor Hugo
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: