Free State Project Forum
270582 Posts in 22089 Topics by 36321 Members / Latest Member: maxSteseWex
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 12:34:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP -- Recruiting and Publicity
| |-+  FSP Recruiting (Moderators: Steve, 1DayAtATime)
| | |-+  LP National Convention Report
« previous next »
Pages: [1]  Go Down Print
Author Topic: LP National Convention Report  (Read 5333 times)
Morey
FSP Participant

just another ancap

Ignore
LP National Convention Report
« on: July 04, 2006, 01:36:12 am »

We had what I would consider a successful presence at the LP Convention in Portland.  Many thanks to the core team of Varrin, Peter and Charlie for spending their weekend promoting the FSP.

Attendance at the convention was a bit light this year – there were roughly 400 there, mirroring the attendance at our own Porcfest.  I guess many libertarians just weren’t up for traveling this summer.

Varrin made up invitations to our Saturday evening breakout session, which we handed out like mad.  That paid off reasonably well; roughly 25 people came and listened to Varrin speak about the history of the project, where we are today, why you should come join us, and what you can do to help right now.  It was well received.

Throughout both days, we bent the ears of many dormant members, skeptics, holdouts, and even a few who had never heard of us.  We did our best to convey the message that the movement is very much alive, and that we need them to keep up the momentum!

During my short stints at the booth, I heard a couple of unsolicited compliments about the hipness of our merchandise.  This is exactly what I wanted to hear.  I want stuff that looks cool enough that the college kids would buy it even if they didn’t support the project.  Major credit to Steve for producing the Frisbees. They were our biggest hit.

The immediate results are 1 20k signer, 1 20k and F1k signer, and $327 in cash, checks, and ALD from merchandise sales.  Jason, Varrin, Sandy and Phil, there is mail coming your way.

Steve
FSP Board Member
Administrator

La Vero vin liberigos

Re: LP National Convention Report
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 03:44:24 am »

Y'all get any photos?
"Hagrid"
FSP Participant

We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 10:13:42 am »

http://thirdpartywatch.com/2006/07/02/joe-reports-from-portland-day-3-part-1/

I then ran into the Free State booth and was happy to find they were selling Discraft Free State Souvenirs. For those of you who are not ultimate Frisbee aficionados, these are top quality discs. I bought several as souvenirs for friends at home.

http://thirdpartywatch.com/2006/07/03/joe-reporting-from-portland-day-4-part-2/

"After the breakfast, I went back to the hotel, packed my bags, and went to
a store to buy a coffee cup for my Dad. In the process, I lost my own
souvenir, a Free State Project frisbee, somewhere, somehow. Being an
ultimate frisbee player, I was absolutely crushed to have lost such a
precious item. Sure, I can probably order a couple of them to replace the
ones I had bought, but it just isn't quite the same, plus I'll have pay for
them all over again."

Morey
FSP Participant

just another ancap

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 04:00:29 pm »

Correction: our biggest seller was by far the lanyards.  Credit again goes to Steve.  Grin

Spencer
First 1000
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 09:44:50 pm »

At least four of the people there were committed already (not that kind of committed), including me and my wife (both First 1000) and a nice couple from the University of Puget Sound in Washington State.  It was nice (and reassuring) to get to see some of the leadership of the organization to which we've committed.  I also got to see that blue guy from Montana who ran for Senate as a Libertarian a few years ago (he may be a participant).

My wife thinks that it would be best to target two groups: college students who are about to graduate (who generally have few committments) and soon-to-be retirees (who aren't tied down by jobs, etc.) and who have spent a lifetime paying taxes for government programs / services of which they don't approve.  The frisbees are definitely a great way to get to college students.

Spencer

P.S. Where can we buy the flag?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 09:49:43 pm by Spencer » Logged

"t is the fortune of a free people, not to be intimidated by imaginary dangers.  Fear is the passion of slaves."

-- -- Patrick Henry of Virginia, speaking against ratification of the proposed Constitution, 7 June 1788
FreeBoB

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 10:21:03 pm »

You mean the great yellow procupine Don't Tread on Me flag like the one hanging in my living room?  I don't see it in the merchandise center yet.  Send a note to Phil, our merchandise guru!

Phil: merchandise@freestateproject.org
Cool FSP Merchandise: http://freestateproject.org/getinvolved/store/
Friday
First 1000
FSP Participant

I'm a browncoat!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 08:18:25 am »

Yesterday I spoke with a member of the New Hampshire delegation to the convention.  He said that he was repeatedly asked about the FSP by other attendees because they saw "New Hampshire" on his lapel (he's not affiliated with the FSP, he's a native).  He seemed surprised by the amount of buzz the FSP was getting at the convention.  A few people expressed jealousy over the fact that he lives here and they don't.   Grin One person specifically mentioned the RealID issue.

Free your mind, and your ass will follow. -- Parliament/Funkadelic
varrin
Former FSP President
FSP Participant

THE air male

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 11:09:55 pm »

FYI, the latest President's Corner has part 1 of a writeup discussing some of the differences between the FSP and the LP which stemmed from some things I observed at the convention.

http://freestateproject.org/presidentscorner/060712

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.
Power Penguin
LG Coordinator / First 1000
FSP Participant

I know where (some of) you live!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 12:40:57 am »

I bought a flag and the new DVD. Morey and Varrin did a great job at the FSP Caucus. I'd say about half the people there were already members, and the other half was prospectives.

Keep up the good work!

Andrew (Shaved Porcupine)

Concerned about privacy? If so, check out the official Asset Protection Crash Course. How can you afford not to?
Steve
FSP Board Member
Administrator

La Vero vin liberigos

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 06:34:36 am »

Correction: our biggest seller was by far the lanyards.  Credit again goes to Steve.  Grin
I got back a few days ago from the ISIL conference in Prague, but internet access problems have prevented me from reporting earlier. I gave away 100 of our lanyards, and people wore them throughout the 4-day conference, as you can see in these photos that I uploaded:
http://photos.yahoo.com/simplulo
I brought a small amount of other merchandise, and the discs attracted the most attention.

A surprising number of foreigners knew all about the FSP. One Czech was even a participant.
Steve
FSP Board Member
Administrator

La Vero vin liberigos

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 01:35:00 am »

I just read Patrick Quealy's report for Liberty Magazine on the LP convention in Portland. He didn't have a lot of good to say about anyone, but he made this comment about the FSP:

"The Free State Project was there, and man, are they cool. Varrin Swearingen, the president, chatted Mark and me up about the project. We each walked away five bucks poorer, with a Free State T-shirt, and looking forward to their caucus that afternoon."
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:07:49 am by Steve » Logged
Pages: [1]  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: