Free State Project Forum
271233 Posts in 22217 Topics by 36623 Members / Latest Member: Prof CJ
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 07:17:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP Community
| |-+  Porcupine Festival (Moderator: MengerFan)
| | |-+  Shooting guns at Porcfest 2007
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shooting guns at Porcfest 2007  (Read 29405 times)
Mike Lorrey
FSP Participant

Live Free and Never Die

Ignore
Re: Shooting guns at Porcfest 2007
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2006, 03:29:03 pm »

So where and when will the shooting happen?  Huh
I am not sure yet.

I propose Pemi Valley, its in the Ashland/Plymouth area, so its not that much further north of Gunstock. They have, I believe, ranges up to 300 yds.

The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time
average_shooter

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2006, 10:01:12 pm »

Ok, so even though the "where" is still in contention (waiting to see where PorcFest itself will be next year)  we can still talk about the "what" people want to do as far as shooting goes...

Some suggestions so far:

Beginners Orientation
Appleseed shoot
IDPA
IPSC
Three-Gun
Steel Plate
Sporting Clays
(Feel free to add to the list...)

How much should we actually try to do and expect to accomplish?
What events are people most interested in?

We can deal with space availability later, when we figure out where we'll be, for now what sounds most fun / educational?
1DayAtATime
First 1000
Global Moderator

Live Free or Die!

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2006, 12:31:59 am »

Ok, so even though the "where" is still in contention (waiting to see where PorcFest itself will be next year)  we can still talk about the "what" people want to do as far as shooting goes...

Some suggestions so far:

Beginners Orientation
Appleseed shoot
IDPA
IPSC
Three-Gun
Steel Plate
Sporting Clays
(Feel free to add to the list...)

How much should we actually try to do and expect to accomplish?
What events are people most interested in?

We can deal with space availability later, when we figure out where we'll be, for now what sounds most fun / educational?

I'd like to do beginner handgun stuff.

Please do not take anything I say as 100% accurate or as an official opinion of the FSP.

Haven't joined the Free State Project yet? Join now! http://freestateproject.org/fsn10
Looking for resources on where to live and how to find a job in NH? http://freestateproject.org/resources
Felix Benner

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2006, 08:17:24 am »

I'd like to come although I don't know if I can make it. If I can, I'd love a beginner course for a poor German who has never even seen a gun being fired.  Embarrassed
Otosan
FSP Participant

I'm ready to move, anywhere, anytime!

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2006, 07:13:17 am »

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

"The perfect slave is the slave who thinks that he is free."
- [Unknown]
Taxes are the extra money we give the government to do  good things! (2nd grade Social Studies book)
Bald Eagle

Is it time yet?

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2007, 12:10:12 am »

If we can use that big outdoor pit, that would be ideal.

Apparently there's an indoor range close to Gunstock.

Much can be done with simple tools like airsoft, paintball, and BB/airguns to teach people the fundamentals of marksmanship.

You can also do a whole lot with semi-specialized equipment:  http://www.guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane1.html
CB caps and other very-low power 22 LR setups might be just the thing for a lot of folks in increasingly less gun-friendly states.  What the neighbors don't hear can't be reported and complained about to the Gestapo.

I like the Idea of a clandestine, subsonic Appleseed shoot.   Cheesy      Evil
jgmaynard
FSP Shadow Advertising
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2007, 12:18:51 am »

Hey! I'd probably be up for some shooting at PF - If it works out schedule-wise, I'd love to bring along my new little friend...  Cool

JM

The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com
lloydbob1

Email
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2007, 07:36:53 am »

Jim with a gun.......priceless!
"Hagrid"
FSP Participant

We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2007, 12:45:15 pm »

map to nearby indoor range: distance 8.8 miles

renting a machine gun: priceless  (ok, here's the prices...)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 06:32:24 pm by SethCohn » Logged

StraitShooter

Near Toronto

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2007, 05:48:49 pm »

renting a machine gun...

Yeah, baby. Cheesy

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty,  he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself."
--Thomas Paine (1737-1809), conclusion,  _Dissertation on First Principles of Government,_1795
jgmaynard
FSP Shadow Advertising
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2007, 05:52:37 pm »

.22 caliber, single action Heritage Manufacturing revolver.... $250.

25 papertargets with bullseyes.... $7

500 rounds of .22 ammo.... $12

Jim with a gun.......priceless!

Grin

JM

The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com
crakowski

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2007, 02:18:41 am »

Hi Porcs.  I'm currently staging Appleseed events in Massachusetts (yeah, yeah, I know) and am instructing at Appleseeds around the Northeast in PA, CT, VT, and MA.  Notice anything missing?  No, not Maine.  New Hampshire!  And what better audience to do it with than Free Staters?  I would love to bring Appleseed to PorcFest 2007 (and every year afterwards, for that matter).

Appleseed is basic rifle practice/training for all ages and all rifles. Why are rifles important?  You can defend yourself with a pistol.  You can defend your home with a shotgun.  But you can only defend your freedom with a rifle.  They are liberty's teeth.  More info on Appleseed at the end of this post.  Sorry Bald Eagle, it won't be subsonic because my M1A wouldn't have any of that.  Grin

Basically it looks like a year-long "I dunno, what do you want to do, honey?" in this thread so far.  PorcFest needs an Appleseed because:

1. It is a liberty-based program (What else would you expect from the Revolutionary War Veteran's Association?)
2. It is a proven program (1000+ shooters in the first year, 38 events scheduled so far for the second year shooting for 2000 shooters)
3. It will provide a focus (You guys need it...  KBCraig didn't even shoot anything last year?   Shocked )
4. It will safely teach new shooters the fundamentals (sounds like you have some of these)
5. It will challenge experienced shooters with the goal of shooting the Rifleman score (sounds like you have some of these too)
6. It can work almost anywhere (a safe backstop, 25-100+ yards of rifle range, and 3-4 feet of firing line per shooter)
7. It grows an FSP Rifleman culture far better than random plinking ever could. ("I'm on the road to becoming a Rifleman" beats "We shot some cans" every time)

Are you with me?

Yes, machine guns are an expensive thrill, but most of the lead you throw downrange doesn't hit anything.  Only hits count!  Besides, you don't want to be shooting inside... It's June in New Hampshire!  You have the rest of the year for staying inside.  The person with the 1500' x 750' pit has exactly the right idea and hopefully it's possible to get that space for an Appleseed.

It can be scaled to an afternoon course, a morning + afternoon course, or a full weekend course, depending on what the demand is.  I think the Morning + Afternoon course would be a good fit for the Saturday or Sunday of PorcFest.  There might be too much to fit in for just an afternoon with this crowd.  I could run a full day session myself with a helper or two for safety/smoothness depending on the number of shooters.  If we do the full weekend, I'd be enlisting the help of the national RWVA, calling NH an official stop on the National Appleseed Tour, and doing lots of trumpeting to non-PorcFest people too.  It might be better to do that next year though with a little more time for planning... So I'm suggesting a 9ish to 5ish one day program on one of the weekend days.  I think that blends well enough for a first year to give enough time to do a proper Appleseed while keeping it a PorcFest event.

The course of instruction will include basic safety, a diagnostic, several sighter groups, position instruction, steps of firing the perfect shot, practice drills, and finally the full Army Qualifying Test.  After the 25 yard instruction, the program moves on to the full distance of the available range and will finish out with fun targets and team targets as well.  If there is concern that there won't be time for handguns, we can arrange afterwards for open shooting.  Participants would need a rifle, several hundred rounds of ammo (TBD based on time), some ground cover, and whatever they would need to be comfortable in prone position (mat/elbow pads).

Priority #1 would be to make this the official PorcFest shooting plan and find an Appleseed compatible site... now.  I'm going to be trying to figure out who's really in charge of the PorcFest but if that person is reading, please contact me.

Again, are you with me?

Info:
--------------------------------------------------------
What is Appleseed:
Appleseed is a grass roots program popping up all over the country started by the Revolutionary War Veterans Association (www.rwva.org). The basic premise is that the health of the Second Amendment (and the country) is directly proportional to the number of active Riflemen and Riflewomen in it. Mini-Appleseed events (like this one) are basically groups getting together on their own and shooting. Full-scale Appleseed events (like what will be happening in Hartford, CT on 4/21 and 4/22) are weekend long shoots where RWVA national instructors will travel to a location and anywhere from dozens to hundreds of shooters will come to learn from them. The program has been around for a little bit over a year now, and ~1000 people have come to appleseed events so far. This year's calendar is already packed with events almost every weekend somewhere around the country.

What do we shoot:
I like to explain appleseed to other shooters as an entry level version of NRA High Power rifle -- less gear, less distance, less money, but building almost all of the same skills. It's a Junior Varsity to High Power's Varsity (living happily together) The standard course of fire is the Army Qualification Test (AQT) on scaled targets at 25 meters (simulating 100, 200, 300, 400 meter targets) in standing, sitting/kneeling and prone positions. Scoring 200 out of 250 for an "expert" Rifleman score is the basic level of proficiency we're shooting for (~4MOA, or 1" at 25 yards or 4" at 100 yards). When space, time, and skill allow we shoot long range too, but the bulk of practice is done at 25 meters.

What equipment do we use:
The single requirement is any safe, working rifle (bolt/semi/whatever) in any caliber (22lr to 30.06+) that'll reach 25 meters. If I were to suggest a rifle to get the most out of the program, it would be semiauto, mag-fed (10 round mags are fine) with iron sights but if you have something other than that, the program will bend for you. In addition, you might want to bring whatever you need to be comfortable in prone (mat/carpet/tarp and some elbow protection)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 02:39:15 am by crakowski » Logged
Grin Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2007, 11:10:43 am »

+1 crakowski
I've attended 4 Appleseeds, and am a firm believer in their course of instruction. 

1" groups at 25m, 4" groups at 100m with no benchrest, bipod, scope, special match ammo?  No problem.

For the bulk of the shoots (which take place at 25m), a .22LR rifle (semi-auto or bolt-actions preferred, but any type will do) is just the ticket.
Bald Eagle

Is it time yet?

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2007, 12:07:38 pm »

Wow, that would be great - I had wanted to do an AQT shoot at the 2005 PorCFest, but that was a bit beyond what I was prepared to handle at the time.

Having a bona fide RWVA Applessed clinic would be just what I'd like to see at every major FSP event!  I, and so many people i know have so many guns, but I can't honestly say that any of us really has the skill to use them as effectively as we ought to.

As for scheduling, a weekday preceeding the weekend party would be the best time for something big like a clinic.  It is indeed late in the year for organizing this, but the best thing about Appleseed is that if you've got a place to do it, then you can just about call people a day or two ahead of time and still pull it off without a hitch.

I'm fully in favor of this.
crakowski

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2007, 12:42:32 pm »

Fantastic. 

You'll have to excuse me because I'm not too familiar with PorcFest so if the weekend is already set up to be a big event of some kind, I didn't mean to step on it (it wasn't marked on the calendar).  How about the Friday right before if the weekend is straight out?  I'd personally prefer a weekend day for obvious reasons, but I could make it work on a Friday.  I'm more concerned about how difficult it would be to get several other RWVA instructors to come for a Friday, but perhaps I could get some help from experienced FSP riflemen (and women, of course) who are interested in becoming instructors.  Appleseed is as much about training instructors as it is about training shooters, so we could have two levels going on at the same time.

But are you sure we can't move the weekend party to the appleseed?  It's only 9-5... bring a BBQ for all the cooks to run.  (Cooks are shooters who score something less than a Rifleman score on the AQT Grin )

Pemi Valley looks very good.  There is a covered 50/100 range that would work even if we get rained on.  But the key issue is whether anybody here is a member or knows a member who could get us access for such a big group?  Meetings for big clubs are infrequent and it might take several depending on the politics of the club to schedule something.  It looks like the weekend of PorcFest is already booked with a cleanup day and a silhouette competition.  The pit sounded excellent for a Sunday, but the problem with other days was that it was closed 8-5 on weekdays and 8-noon on Saturdays.  Could we get it open for us? 

We can't do this without a site, but the good news is there must be lots of places in NH that would be happy to help this group out with a 25 yard by 1 yard per shooter spot with a backstop.  I really need some local help with finding a site, and we have activists here, right?  Cool
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 12:44:36 pm by crakowski » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: