Free State Project Forum
271574 Posts in 22292 Topics by 36766 Members / Latest Member: kahsema
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 20, 2014, 05:10:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP -- General Discussion
| |-+  General FSP Discussion
| | |-+  I'm moving!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]  Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm moving!!!!  (Read 4057 times)
Shuvom

Ignore
I'm moving!!!!
« on: May 14, 2006, 07:48:22 pm »

Fellow Free-Staters!

Everything's lined up, I've got a NH job, I've sold my NC house, and I wanted to let everybody know I'm moving THIS WEEK! 

I'm posting because I wanted those "potential" Free Staters who might be on the fence right now to know that, yes, it is tough to finally pull that trigger and decide you're moving.  And yes, the timing may never be quite right.  But I have it on very good authority that, as FSP'ers trickle into NH one by one, Boston liberals and big government types are pouring into NH by the hundreds!  So we need to go, NOW. 

And yes, most people will give up a few things to move to NH.  I'm taking a big pay cut (hopefully temporary), selling an awesome 3brdm little house that I love to rent a 1 bdrm apt., trading a wonderfully mild beach climate for a slightly colder (and hotter) 4 seasons, and leaving a lot of friends behind.  But I wanted everyone to know- I do NOT consider those sacrifices!  Not at all. 

As Ayn Rand reminds us, a sacrifice is when you give up a greater value to gain a lesser one, and that is not at all what I consider this to be.  Yes, I'm taking a pay cut, but I'm moving from a large company job where I'm stagnating, to a small, agile company where I'm going to learn an exciting new field and the sky's the limit!  (Because I chose it that way from where I sent my resumes.)

Yes, I have to sell my awesome house, but with the market so hot right now, I found a buyer who wants it at a price high enough to satisfy me, but low enough for him to ALSO turn a profit once he flips it.  (Because we both chose it that way.) 

Yes, I'm losing a mild beach climate, but I'm gaining snow days and skiing and sledding and mountains and hiking, and hot chocolate by the fire, all of which I haven't seen for 3 years!  (I choose to view it this way.  And my new apt does happen to come with a fireplace.)

But most of all, I am making all these changes to gain something I could get nowhere else in the world!  (Think about it, really.  If NH falls, where will we go?)  And that is a line in the sand against tyranny.  An outpost worth defending.  Somewhere we can all dig in and say, "This is where men will be free."  That incalculable gain is worth any small thing I may lose by moving. 

I also wanted to let potentials know how long it takes.  I first got serious about Free State at last year's PorcFest, July 2005.  I considered all my options, then started sending out resumes in Sept. 2005.  I finally got fed up with my old job and REALLY started sending out resumes Dec 2005 (3-5 a week, for about 8 weeks).  I only started getting responses back in March 2006.  I interviewed in April 2006, and now, after 3 weeks of breakneck preparations, I'm finally moving in May 2006.  10 months from start to finish. 

But even though I rationally made the decision in July 2005, I only emotionally made the decision in April 2006, when I got the job I really wanted, in a NH city I really wanted, and found the apt I really wanted.

To sum up, I've seen a lot of posts on here that say "I'd love to move, but...."  or "I support FSP ideas, but I'm not ready yet...." and I understand it's tough.  It's been an emotional roller coaster these last few weeks, saying good-bye to people I've grown to care about, and leaving a job I really think is important. 

But let me tell you...once I made the decision, once there was no turning back, that night, I slept better than I had in a last year.  It's worth it now, and it will be much more worth it later.  And I need freedom-loving people like you to come with me, so we can make this stand together. 

My ghoses@cox.net e-mail will only work until Wednesday, but my cell (252) 646-2643 I'll keep even after I'm up there.  And I'll post on this forum again after I move, with some version of the username "Shuvom" to give out my NH e-mail.   

Any FSP'er who wants ANY help moving into the Manchester area, who wants me to run down phone-books or numbers which would help them move, or needs ANYTHING done (advice, coaching, job tips) that would tip them over the edge into moving, contact me, and I'll do what I can. 

Hope to see you there.  Freedom- In our lifetime! 

Best Regards,
Shuvom
Power Penguin
LG Coordinator / First 1000
FSP Participant

I know where (some of) you live!

Ignore
Re: I'm moving!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 09:30:46 pm »

Cool congradulations! I'll be moving from socal in late '08. I'd do it sooner, but I won't be graduating college until spring, '08. Keep up the good work and let us know how things turn out over time.

Concerned about privacy? If so, check out the official Asset Protection Crash Course. How can you afford not to?
FreeBoB

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 11:18:45 pm »

Shuvom,

Congrats and thanks for the inspiration.  Grin  So many of us out here are somewhere in the process of moving, whether it's making the decision to join trying to find a town or a job, or actually working on the move, like you!

See you at the PorcFest!

Brian 
KBCraig
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 02:31:47 am »

Thanks for an excellent post, Shuvom!

I'll withold my official congratulatory "YOU SUCK!" reply until you're actually in NH. You don't really suck; I just feel compelled to shout it whenever anyone moves to NH before I do.  Wink

Please keep us updated!

Kevin
Russell Kanning
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 03:31:16 am »

So which party or event will we see you at first?
I think we met at porcfest last year .... and I was not able to help you find a job. I am glad to see it is all working out.

Pat K
First 1000
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 05:18:56 pm »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
 Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning
Shuvom

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 09:18:17 pm »

All,
Thanks for the congratulations.  Hopefully I'll see many of you at this year's Porcfest (I can only make the weekend days) and we can talk more! 

Russell,
Yes we did meet at Porcfest, and don't worry about the job.  I did follow up on that, but the one I actually got is much better for me.

Thanks again for your kind words.
Shuvom

FTL_Ian
FSP Participant/First 1000
Golden Porcupine

Peaceful Evolution

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 02:36:45 am »

Have you signed the First 1000?  http://www.pledgebank.com/first1000

150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com