Free State Project Forum
271234 Posts in 22217 Topics by 36623 Members / Latest Member: Prof CJ
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 08:49:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP -- General Discussion
| |-+  The Friendly Forum
| | |-+  Life in New Hampshire
« previous next »
Pages: [1]  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Life in New Hampshire  (Read 9792 times)
jeanius

Email
Life in New Hampshire
« on: November 14, 2005, 09:12:11 pm »

LIFE IN NEW HAMPSHIRE

Is grand!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 04:18:58 am by Jean » Logged
Pat K
First 1000
FSP Participant

Ignore
Re: Life in New Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 12:08:51 am »

Great report Jean. Thanks!

"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning
lloydbob1

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 08:07:54 am »

Yup!
Dreepa
First 1000
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 09:16:07 am »

Grin Grin Grin
Russell Kanning
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 11:56:40 am »

Cool

I totally agree with Jean about the pleasant surprises in NH.

PassionatePantherrr
FSP Participant

Passionate

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 02:02:05 pm »

To me, it always just, well, felt like home when I drove through it. I grew up 34 miles from NYC in NJ, in a cramped house, in a 2 sq mi town with 10-15k residents, depending on the year, and still, NH is much more me than NJ ever was... glad to hear that others are enjoying thier discoveries here as well...
brontus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 02:07:54 pm »

dpenkalski:

I live about 10 miles from 6 Flags Great Adventure (far enough away I don't deal with the traffic often or the noise, but on a clear night I can still see the fireworks).  The bulk of what I've read about New Hampshire says that it's easy to find everything I love about NJ, and few of the things I hate about it.  I love a rural, small town character with the ammenities of a larger town at a reasonable distance.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
 -- Ben Franklin
kater
the greater
FSP Participant

NH Resident

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 03:34:55 pm »

I'm also a recent transplant, and I guess my two cents might be helpful to anyone either considering or planning on moving here...  I believe that you can probably find just about any lifestyle that you're looking for up here; you can live in the middle of a city, go to malls and movies, find great restaurants, and never stray from a frequently plowed road.  But I'm going to write about doing things the hard way.

We left a downtown DC apartment building, and moved into a town of less than 1,000 people.  We have a house and a barn, both in need of a lot of work, and I spend more time than I can describe carrying wood--wood to build with and wood to burn.  I have callouses, cuts, bruises, and scars.  And I do not remember how it feels to be unwilling to get my hands dirty. 

In short, I have never been happier.  Our work on our house has been noticed by our neighbors, and they have welcomed us warmly--in no small part, I'm sure, because they can see that we're willing to do.  We are being accepted as a part of our community--invited to participate in discussions and asked to help.  I can think of no better way to put down roots in this state.

We have been very lucky to land in this spot; a place where, when I rant about legalizing private stills at the local bar, I get the whole room nodding.  That's my way and this is my place; if you look around, you will find yours. 

It's time for President Paul.
www.ronpaulhq.com
TheRagnar
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 08:04:35 am »

Jean

Thanks for an interesting post.

Those 'local' links give a much better impression of what it's like to be there than many tourism brochures.

5thconcerto
Friend of the FSP

To live free!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 09:30:43 am »

I'm also a recent transplant, and I guess my two cents might be helpful to anyone either considering or planning on moving here...  I believe that you can probably find just about any lifestyle that you're looking for up here; you can live in the middle of a city, go to malls and movies, find great restaurants, and never stray from a frequently plowed road.  But I'm going to write about doing things the hard way.

We left a downtown DC apartment building, and moved into a town of less than 1,000 people.  We have a house and a barn, both in need of a lot of work, and I spend more time than I can describe carrying wood--wood to build with and wood to burn.  I have callouses, cuts, bruises, and scars.  And I do not remember how it feels to be unwilling to get my hands dirty. 

In short, I have never been happier.  Our work on our house has been noticed by our neighbors, and they have welcomed us warmly--in no small part, I'm sure, because they can see that we're willing to do.  We are being accepted as a part of our community--invited to participate in discussions and asked to help.  I can think of no better way to put down roots in this state.

We have been very lucky to land in this spot; a place where, when I rant about legalizing private stills at the local bar, I get the whole room nodding.  That's my way and this is my place; if you look around, you will find yours. 

Very good post, kater. That's how it is in NH. I ought to know, I've lived here 54 years.
Get your hands dirty. Join in with folks on discussions at the coffee shop or bar. It is amazing how many folks are sick of Gov intrusions on their lives.
Ward Griffiths
First 1000
FSP Participant

Canvas and Quicklime

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 09:46:57 am »

Very good post, kater. That's how it is in NH. I ought to know, I've lived here 54 years.
Get your hands dirty. Join in with folks on discussions at the coffee shop or bar. It is amazing how many folks are sick of Gov intrusions on their lives.
Ah, that means you'd turned 21 within a year or so before the drinking age went to 18.  I hesitate to inquire annoyed you might have been.
I had been 18 a week and a half when it became legal for me to go into bars.  Didn't go much, as I was trying to save every dime to go to college somewhere else.
By the way, when did the alcohol sales times change?  When I was in NH in my teens, you could buy a six-pack at anyplace that sold beer 24 hours per day except between midnight Saturday and noon Sunday.  Nowadays 7-11 locks the beer up at 11:45pm.

--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)
5thconcerto
Friend of the FSP

To live free!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 10:14:54 am »

Ah, that means you'd turned 21 within a year or so before the drinking age went to 18.  I hesitate to inquire annoyed you might have been.
I had been 18 a week and a half when it became legal for me to go into bars.  Didn't go much, as I was trying to save every dime to go to college somewhere else.
By the way, when did the alcohol sales times change?  When I was in NH in my teens, you could buy a six-pack at anyplace that sold beer 24 hours per day except between midnight Saturday and noon Sunday.  Nowadays 7-11 locks the beer up at 11:45pm.

I was in college in NY when I was 18. When I was 19 I could drink in ME. No big deal, to me.
I don't remember when they changed the hours. A long time ago.
Pat K
First 1000
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 04:57:56 pm »

Nice post Jean, even though I hate Snow.  Grin

"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning
jgmaynard
FSP Shadow Advertising
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 10:24:52 pm »

I love a couple of years ago, when I was at the state house looking for John Babiarz. The guard asked if he could help me find something, and I told him who I was looking for. He said "Hmmm.. I'm not sure where he is. Did you ask the Governor?"

LOL.

JM

The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com
Pages: [1]  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: