Free State Project Forum
271215 Posts in 22214 Topics by 36597 Members / Latest Member: CynthiaDive
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 08:28:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  New Hampshire -- The "Live Free or Die" State
| |-+  Moving & Housing
| | |-+  Cheapest and Safest Place in New Hampshire? Oh, how's the flooding?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cheapest and Safest Place in New Hampshire? Oh, how's the flooding?  (Read 3396 times)

Email
Cheapest and Safest Place in New Hampshire? Oh, how's the flooding?
« on: October 13, 2005, 06:29:18 pm »

I saw a thing on the news about flooding up there.  Would any one who lives in New Hampshire tell me what kind of flooding you've had?

I want to move there, but I want to move on land that's pretty safe from flooding or any thing else from mother nature.

My other question is where's the cheapest place to buy a house?  It'll be a really long time before I can move up there.  I'm 25 and I don't plan moving there until I can save up and buy and own my own house.  I'm not into renting especially apartments.  I want a house a little out of the city but not to far in the middle of no where.  And I want some yard space and my neighbors a good distance away.  I'm not a big fan of subberm neighborhoods.  I live in one now and I feel closed in like the walls are closing in on me.  I want enough land and distance from the neighbors that I can fire off rifles with out upsetting them.  It would also be nice that I can have my own fireworks on my own property on Independence day with out the neighbors calling the cops.

My other question is, what's the most Libertarian part of New Hampshire?  I really need some ideas where to live if I'm going to make a big commitment like this.  Right now I live just north of Austin Texas.
Dreepa
First 1000
Global Moderator

Re: Cheapest and Safest Place in New Hampshire? Oh, how's the flooding?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 07:11:30 pm »

Floods have been in the western part of the State.  I will let others comment on them... however we just had about 5 inches of rain and no flooding where I live.

You want cheap but not too far from the city... depends on what you think is cheap.

Safest?  I don't think any area in NH is that unsafe... maybe a neighborhood or two in Manchester and Nashua but that is about it.

I live 15 minutes from Concord (the capital)  and I could light all the fireworks I want and no one would care.
lloydbob1

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 07:16:33 pm »

The southwest corner of the state just suffered a 100 year storm, so, you could move there and be safe from flooding untill you are 125 years old!
FreeBoB

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 12:58:45 am »

An idea for AvatarofVirgo.

Move to NH and save for your house there!  Perhaps the new feeling of freedom and the beautiful outdoors will help to free you of your 'walls closing in' feeling...

Brian
PassionatePantherrr
FSP Participant

Passionate

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 09:40:15 am »

1) If a home is in a designated flood plain, it should be disclosed by the realtor in the listing.
2) There are many programs out there for 1st time home buyers, with little or no money down, for an owner occupied home. There are also programs in expensive place such as Portsmouth, where if you can prove to the city that you've been a resident for 2 years, they'll assist you with financing to get you into a home (even if it's just a condo there, so that you build equity, while you look for a more permanent home).

Seriously, get a stable job up here in NH (rents are decent, esp. if you share with other FSP'ers), enjoy the lack of state income tax, and move more quickly towards the percentage you wish to have towards purchasing a home/closing costs. Talk to a realtor, it may be easier than you think

(I'm 31, and bought a getaway cabin last fall, technically as a 2nd home, as it was too far away from where I still work, and I'm a single gal. I was able to get financing, even though they upped the percentage I had to put down due to the fact that it's a low dollar value property, I was still able to make it work)

Best of luck, and hope to see you soon in the free state of NH!
Pages: [1]  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: