How much does it cost to build a house in NH?

(1/4) > >>

eukreign:
Instead of buying a house in NH we are thinking of bying land and then building our own house. Possibly get a trailer to live in while we build the house. So here is my question: Would it be possible to build a house (4 bedrooms, 2.5 bath, basement, 3 garage) in NH for around $150-200k? Under the following conditions: we are going to be our own contractors (we'll still hire someone to come and check on certain critical jobs) and we'll only hire workers to put in the foundation, frame/walls and roof of the house while we do the interior ourselves (we'll put in floors, kitchen cabinets, bath tub/toilet, etc).

I'm just looking for any kind of input on anyone in NH who has built their own house and what their experience was.

Any advice on buying/renting a trailer to live in for a year or so while the house is being built? How much do they usually run for? Are there better alternatives than getting a trailer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1DayAtATime:
Quote from: Muleskinner on September 13, 2005, 07:02:13 pm

Quote from: eukreign on September 09, 2005, 12:07:53 pm

So here is my question: Would it be possible to build a house (4 bedrooms, 2.5 bath, basement, 3 garage) in NH for around $150-200k?

I can not afford $150-200k.
$50k would be stretching it. But I still need 2,000 square feet. Can this be done in NH? Will NH building codes allow "novel" construction methods and materials that could build such a house?  Would they even allow the same sorts of log cabins that people had two hundred years ago (though with more insulation and better waterproofing for roofs).

Other Examples
http://radio.weblogs.com/0119080/stories/2003/04/09/theMythAndPromiseOfDirtChe.html

Why not build a big, poorly insulated steel building?  Seriously, though.  It is kind of silly to expect to build a 2,000 square foot house in NH for under $50,000.  I don't understand why you cannot afford $125,000 or so other low number.  That could likely be done if you built in a very depressed area.  Just take in a roommate if you don't earn $10 per hour at your job (or enough to afford to pay your monthly housing bills).

bartmy:
I am a licensed (I know, big whoop)construction supervisor in Massachusetts, My wife and I just bought 6.1 acres in Grafton, NH and I will be building our house in short order. In the mean time, we will be living in the existing MH at the site (we've already started moving stuff) and I'll be using the barn as my workshop. Building in NH is not very expensive, compared to other New England areas. Wood prices have been fluctuating tremendously the past few years, and that has a huge impact, especially on those 2000 square foot plus homes. I will be building something on the area of 1250 well designed and usefull square feet. I will sub out the foundation digging and pouring, the HVAC system, and probably the drywall. I will be doing the rest with the help of my son (currently 13) who has been apprenticing with me as part of his homeschooling and my wife. I will be doing all electrical, plumbing, masonry, tile, furniture, etc and I expect to spend about $85,000 on materials and subbed labor. Granted, I won't have granite countertops or a tumbled italian marble tile shower but it will be very tastefull and detailed.

I would guess that an inexpensive, RECTANGULAR, two story house with a SIMPLE roofline with a 25' x 40' footprint (1000SQ FT per story) and good quality mechanical systems (furnace, etc) and INexpensive bath and kitchen components and fixtures could be had for about $150,000, if I am judging your skill level correctly and also correctly accounting for the aspects of the build you will handle yourself.
The reason I highlighted rectangle and simple roof is because every foundation jog costs money and livable space and every extra roof plane costs extra materials and labor...Keep it simple and save big. A rectangle is easier to build and easier to heat and simpler to maintain in the long run. Forget those McMansions, they are a waste of materials.

I would recommend reading AS MUCH as you can about the construction process, codes, and supervising crews unless you are hiring someone to do it for you. There are many, many, MANY pitfalls to being your own General Contractor, arm yourself with AS MUCH KNOWLEDGE AS YOU CAN, and maybe you will only go over your budget by 10%, and miss your completion date by two months. I am not kidding!

Good luck to all of you!!! Go for it!!!

Finehomebuilding.com forums are a great resource as is Taunton press in general, they have many, many books.
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/index.asp

ThomasPaine:
Are you asking whether you can build a 2000 sqft. house in NH for 150-200K that includes the cost of land?

TeePee

eukreign:
Quote from: ThomasPaine on September 18, 2005, 09:08:07 pm

Are you asking whether you can build a 2000 sqft. house in NH for 150-200K that includes the cost of land?

Excluding land. 150-200K is for the materials and labor of building the house and the well+septic tank.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page