Free State Project Forum
271391 Posts in 22254 Topics by 36704 Members / Latest Member: jurgs01
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 05:46:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  New Hampshire -- The "Live Free or Die" State
| |-+  NH Information and Discussion
| | |-+  Low tax city/county/areas of NH
« previous next »
Pages: [1]  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Low tax city/county/areas of NH  (Read 5185 times)
dmyhill

Ignore
Low tax city/county/areas of NH
« on: July 12, 2005, 11:45:33 pm »

Where are the lowest taxed areas of NH?

I am looking for a place to move that has low taxes.  My experience here in Washington regarding taxation and representation has left me jaded, and I simply want to start somewhere new.

This has led me to this forum, and to this question.  In my research, I discovered a spreadsheet on the NH government site that seemed to indicate that there were some municipalities in that state that in essense paid no property taxes.  For instance Odell is listed with a valuation of $1,860,660 in 2004, with a town tax rate of -7.49 and a state educ. tax of 3.28 and a county tax of 4.21, for a total tax rate of 0.00.

Please see: http://www.state.nh.us/revenue/property_tax/2003/2003_tax_rates.htm

Now, this must be a TINY town, but there were many areas like this in this report.

My question is simply, can this be true?  If yes, what is the catch.

Thanks,
David
"Hagrid"
FSP Participant

We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.

Ignore
Re: Low tax city/county/areas of NH
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 11:52:26 pm »

I've forwarded this to the one man I know CAN answer it... Mr NH Taxpayer himself, Ed Naile.  As soon as I get an answer, I'll post it here.

1DayAtATime
First 1000
Global Moderator

Live Free or Die!

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 12:00:16 am »

Thanks,
David

i don't know how much this helps, but
http://freestateproject.org/community/nhtowns.php

Please do not take anything I say as 100% accurate or as an official opinion of the FSP.

Haven't joined the Free State Project yet? Join now! http://freestateproject.org/fsn10
Looking for resources on where to live and how to find a job in NH? http://freestateproject.org/resources
mikefam

Live free or Die:death is not the worst of evils

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 08:18:59 am »

Loe tax areas can be created by a few dedicated activists in any small town in NH , its all about the town meeting people.
JasonPSorens
Administrator

Neohantonum liberissimum erit.

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 09:18:03 am »

There are no taxes in Odell because there are no people in Odell. Smiley Apparently there is some seasonal or commercial real estate, but it isn't taxed - I'm not sure why that is. Perhaps some kind of incentive program for loggers? Tax rates do vary substantially among communities, however. Generally, places with expensive housing have much lower tax rates than places with cheap housing. The total taxes you pay tend to even out a bit more - but even here there are big differences. The page Keith (NH Bound) referenced shows median total annual real estate taxes paid. Among the incorporated towns, Benton in Grafton has the lowest taxes ($535 per year), while Hanover, home of Dartmouth, has the highest ($5674). Most towns seem to be in the $2500 range. Currently, I'm paying $4200 per year on a $125,000 home in a suburb of Buffalo, NY.  And we have punishing sales and income taxes. I don't know how New York managed to mess things up so badly.

"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
"Hagrid"
FSP Participant

We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 11:45:40 pm »

I've forwarded this to the one man I know CAN answer it... Mr NH Taxpayer himself, Ed Naile.  As soon as I get an answer, I'll post it here.

And the answer from the man in the know is:

All kinds of factors go into this. Just because a town looks good on paper doesn't mean it is a good place to live. If you want cheap go north young man go north. the north country is emptying out. We are losing population there. But if you need work when you get here expect low wages or long drives.

Grafton is a small town with no zoning and almost abolished the conservation [planning] commission last year if I remember correctly. Small towns with no big box schools are good but watch for regional cooperatives where the small town in the mix gets screwed.

Tourist towns up north have out of state mansions on lakes that pay the predominant amount of taxes but there are no towns with 0 taxes for real. Remember there are some "towns' that are only forests no one lives in.

I will get a list together for the Free State crowd of sample towns.

Right now though WINDSOR is a great by if you can get a lot. No real government no road crew or police but in the south near civilization. It is near an east west highway which in NH is rare. Most big state roads go north south with skiers.

Brien

I'm a Leo

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 01:17:21 pm »

I lived in the "Upper Valley" of NH and VT for years.   I stayed away from towns like Lebanon, Concord, Claremont, Keene, Manchester, and other larger towns.  They all require services and school systems so the theory goes the smaller the town, the less services and educational costs.

I agree with whomever said "go north."  Try Coos County.  Also keep in mind that taxes are directly related to the size, type, and number of buildings you own.  Also the number and age of autos, boats, and other registered "toys."  Opt for small acreage or become a farmer. Smiley

No country can be well governed unless its citizens as a body keep religiously before their minds that they are the guardians of the law, and that the law officers are only the machinery for its execution, nothing more......M. T.
mikefam

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 10:44:14 pm »

Going north is fine for the rugged types who are capible of farming or logging. up north might never be a viable option for techies of those who wish to find jobs in the service sector.
dmyhill

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 10:46:01 pm »

Number of toys?  Does property tax include things other than dirt and houses in NH?

mikefam

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 10:51:42 pm »

i own property in NH i'm pretty sure property tax is an assessment on land and buildings. in the old days it was land buildings and "toys" meaning cows horses and chickens
Posterity
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 02:47:21 pm »

An FSP participant put together this tax map.  The info may be a bit out of date now (from 2002 I think), but it'll give you a starting point to work from.

Thanks to whomever put this together.  It's a big help.

"...secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity..."
Brien

I'm a Leo

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 09:48:07 am »

Number of toys?  Does property tax include things other than dirt and houses in NH?

There is an annual "town/city tax" upon all registered vehicles, boats, trailers, and campers.  It is calculated upon year of manufacture and weight.  So every year you must pony up the tax in order to register or renew the registration of all your vehicles, boats, trailers, and campers.  Sorry about that.  It is tax deductible from your federal income tax though.

No country can be well governed unless its citizens as a body keep religiously before their minds that they are the guardians of the law, and that the law officers are only the machinery for its execution, nothing more......M. T.
Brien

I'm a Leo

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 09:51:46 am »

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 10:51:42 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i own property in NH I'm pretty sure property tax is an assessment on land and buildings. in the old days it was land buildings and "toys" meaning cows horses and chickens

I don't know about chickens and horses, but they probably do tax the farmers on machinery.  Please see my previous post about annual taxes on your "toys".

Brien

I'm a Leo

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 03:25:05 pm »

And the answer from the man in the know is:

Grafton is a small town with no zoning and almost abolished the conservation [planning] commission last year if I remember correctly. Small towns with no big box schools are good but watch for regional cooperatives where the small town in the mix gets screwed.

Tourist towns up north have out of state mansions on lakes that pay the predominant amount of taxes but there are no towns with 0 taxes for real. Remember there are some "towns' that are only forests no one lives in.

I will get a list together for the Free State crowd of sample towns.

Right now though WINDSOR is a great by if you can get a lot. No real government no road crew or police but in the south near civilization. It is near an east west highway which in NH is rare. Most big state roads go north south with skiers.

Seth:  First, thank you for the correction on my understanding of the political landscape in NH since I lived in the Upper Valley in the 80's.  My how things have reversed.  Back then, the North was the conservative bastions and the south was the more liberal haven. The Manchester Union Leader was always trashed as the yellow journal of NH. Things have changed quite a bit.  However all of my friends in the UV are mostly conservative Republicans, so my information tends to get skewed sometimes.  One look at the "Valley Snooze" editorials, and I get agitated. 

Questions about Windsor.  I am sure you have town roads.  I am sure you experience the fifth season known as mud season.  Does the state plow the town roads in the winter and grade them after the Spring?  I lived in West Chesterfield in 1970 and remember the state keeping RT 9 in very good condition year around but if I recall correctly, there were town trucks that maintained the town roads. There was a town garage right off RT 9 close to Spofford Lake.  What do the occupants of Windsor do to maintain their town roads?

Also I am familiar with Grafton.  As I recall, when I was looking for property back in the 80's, property taxes were almost as high as say Canaan or Enfield.  However Enfield and Canaan are closer to Lebanon than Grafton, so things may have changed since then as well. 

I would guess that places in the I-89, I-93, I-91 triangle, south of State Rd 25 would be a good bet to consider as there are some very upscale(?) towns like Hanover and New London, yet there are some real small villages like Springfield and Orange.  I suppose it all depends upon what people require for services.

Pages: [1]  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: