Free State Project Forum
270471 Posts in 22076 Topics by 36311 Members / Latest Member: BeauFam5
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2014, 04:53:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP -- General Discussion
| |-+  General FSP Discussion
| | |-+  Discuss FSP mission & future
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 37  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Discuss FSP mission & future  (Read 146036 times)
JasonPSorens
Administrator

Neohantonum liberissimum erit.

Discuss FSP mission & future
« on: July 11, 2005, 08:47:41 pm »

This thread is dedicated to discussion of the FSP mission and future. See this announcement for background:
http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=10394
This thread may also be helpful:
http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=10172.0

"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Gabo
FSP Participant

Ignore
Re: Discuss FSP mission & future
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 12:32:04 am »

I say definitely remove the requirement of getting all sigs by 2006.

I think the best situation is to allow people a big variety of options when signing up.
They should be able to choose "I'll move within X years" with X being of their choice, or "I'll move within X years of reaching Y members" with X and Y again being their choice.

That way people can use the flexible SOI to sign on in a manner that suits them.  No more strict guidelines that may scare some people away.

I love my country!

It's my government that sucks...
KBCraig
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 01:44:48 am »

I second Gabo's points.

I'd suggest sending a blanket statement to all Participants, stating that the time to move is as soon as possible. Declare victory, and retreat to NH. Highlight the incredible things being done by the early movers, and by the natives who support us. Stress the opposition we face, and how vital it is to get as many Freesters as possible into the state forthwith.

And, require a positive response to remain a Participant. I've a strong hunch that many of our signers signed up after saying, "Wh-h-h-ooah, dude! That sounds cool!". They signed up, then went in search of munchies. Or more ammo. Or whatever.

Kevin
Rocketman
First 1000
FSP Participant

Statism Sucks

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 04:17:56 am »

I respectfully disagree with Kevin.  Declaring victory would make us look foolish, like Bush's "Mission Accomplished" on the aircraft carrier.  Nobody believes we've won yet.

As for doublechecking with each participant, what positive result could that have?  Subtracting from the total can only hurt our credibility.  Why brainstorm reasons to subtract?

Also, I don't mean to diminish "the incredible things being done by the early movers," but wouldn't that argument be a lot stronger if we make it after a few more participants make the move?  After they achieve a few more noteworthy successes in NH?

I don't think there should be any major changes for now.  If PorcFest goes half as well as I think it will, there will likely be a huge spike in the actual move-in rate, and things will look a whole lot rosier by XMas. 

The One Change I Do Agree With:
To this point, the FSP's primary objective has been convincing people to sign the SOI.  It has implicitly encouraged participants to move early if possible, but there's no sense of urgency.  I really think encouraging ASAP moving should become the FSP's second primary objective.  We ought to be able to come up with some creative and persuasive approaches that would work.

The FSP ain't broke; it just needs a tune-up and an oil change.

5/13/06: I'M HOME!!!!!!!!!  #401!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rancemuhamitz
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 09:16:41 am »

I think changing mid-project is admitting failure, and might cause some current members to back out.  Leave the requirements the way they are, but step up marketing, recruitment, press, and fund raising efforts.  I like the idea of encouraging members to move ASAP, but don't change the requirements.  When I enter an agreement with another party, I expect that other party comply with the terms of the agreement.
mikefam

Live free or Die:death is not the worst of evils

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 09:59:57 am »

its time to consider free towns if the 20,000 are not going to be present by the fall of 2006  (and I have no idea how that is coming)  the Political structure of NH is very conducive to forming Free towns. The town in NH are very autonomous from the state in this regard, the state has regulatory oversite but the towns have the final say in regulatory implementation(the town Meeting is an extremely powerful body).
Maybe its time for the board of directors to make plans to start to identify towns that would make good candidates for "free towns" I am sure that once the free state project can firmly say "we have political control of X number of towns" more people will be more likely to move to NH knowing that they could move to a porc friendly town and start living their lives the way they choose.

Towns in NH control Zoning  police departments trash collection and more it would be very easy for a handful of liberty minded people to gain control of a town meeting and vote to remove zoning,and other things also it is within the power of a town to withdraw from the SAU school system at a town meeting. and the best of all is that at town meeting Budgets are voted upon line by line meaning the administration of a town has its line in the budget  so does the police department fire dept. highway dept. and any other department  it would be very easy to remove , lets say the police department, simply vote down the funding for said department, no funding no department, in my town someone even petitioned to have the position of building inspector removed9 it didn't pass because nobody came to support it at town meeting).
     A free town or a hand full of free towns scattered across the state (endorsed by the FSP higher ups) would be in my opinion a giant leap forward toward liberty in our lifetimes.
pcwallis

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 02:29:47 pm »

July 12, 2005

LET'S REDUCE RELUCTANCE, NOT RE-STRUCTURE FSP

The question is not to restructure FSP, but how to ease people's reluctance to move to New Hampshire.  Let me put it to you another way.  We all have jobs, or businesses, bills and family in the town we are in now.  So when the FSP concept and beliefs make sense to us, we get excited and want to move - "likes go where likes are".  But, there is a reluctance to move - what is the problem?  We take trips to NH, visit the sites, talk to others who have moved - but there is the reluctance.  The solution to the problem is simple in making the 20,000 people goal move to NH by September, 2006!  IT IS NETWORKING - AN FSP WEBSITE THAT WE ALL CAN USE TO CONNECT WITH PEOPLE IN THE SAME FIELDS AND INTERESTS!

We spend a lot of time discussing politics, taxes, homeschooling, the war and religion - that is fine, but, what about money and jobs?  WHAT WE DO NOT DISCUSS IS WHERE ARE THE JOBS IN NH.  DOES ANYONE WANT TO START A BUSINESS IN NH.  We all have something to contribute and bring to the table.  We need a clearing house - someone or a small group of people on an FSP website that we can contact to make things happen.  IF YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A STRONG CHANCE TO LAND A JOB OR START A NEW BUSINESS IN NH - YOU HAVE REDUCED THE HIGH LEVEL OF RELUCTANCE!  WHEN YOU HAVE REDUCED YOUR RISK LEVEL, YOU ARE MORE INCLINED TO MOVE AND MEET YOUR FSP GOALS.

I know and understand that there are employment agencies in NH that we can call.  I know there is the FSP Forum.  That is all fine and dandy, but we still need a central clearing house on the FSP website. 

Let me give you an example of how the clearing house could work.  My wife and I are planning to make the move to NH, hopefully within the next 12 months.  We both have started and run businesses here in (THE TAX HELL OF THE WORLD) Wisconsin (not a business friendly state).  We have right now (July 2005) started plans for 2 or 3 businesses to start in NH.  I also know we will need to have some part-time jobs when we move while we are getting our businesses up and running.  A couple of things should start to come to your mind - right!!

Here are the thoughts in our minds:

Where can we get jobs in NH?

In starting our business - who should we hire?

What part of the state should we locate?

Have other FSPers started businesses?  What has been their success rate?

Are there any FSPers that would like to be hired by us?

Are the banks FSP friendly?

By having a clearing house we can submit our ideas, questions and answers and get FSPers involved with each other to produce positive results - that's how you get like-minded people to move!

We are all in this together and we must have Liberty in Our Lifetime!  So let's make the move easy!!

TALK TO ME
Phil Wallis
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

FTL_Ian
FSP Participant/First 1000
Golden Porcupine

Peaceful Evolution

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 04:24:06 pm »

I think changing mid-project is admitting failure, and might cause some current members to back out.  Leave the requirements the way they are, but step up marketing, recruitment, press, and fund raising efforts.  I like the idea of encouraging members to move ASAP, but don't change the requirements.  When I enter an agreement with another party, I expect that other party comply with the terms of the agreement.

If people back out, that just means they weren't too committed in the first place.  Change does not admit failure, it simply says "We can do this better... here's how".  As long as Liberty lovers are moving to NH, we are succeeding.

In regards to the "agreement" it's just a statement of intent, not a binding contract.

I say change it as Gabo suggested.  Let the whiners bail out, and the people who are dedicated will still be on board.  And in NH, sooner rather than later.

150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com
GCG199
FSP Participant

Friendly Libertarian Drumhead!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 05:48:32 pm »

I think that we do need to focus on the networking end to help people move to New Hampshire. Jobs and housing are the main thing. Not everyone will have the chance to make it to PorcFest or even visit NH before they move. (I didn't and I am moving to Manchester in a few days.)

TANSTAAFL

"Power is knowledge applied".
Dreepa
First 1000
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 11:03:23 pm »

I don't think there should be any major changes for now.  If PorcFest goes half as well as I think it will, there will likely be a huge spike in the actual move-in rate, and things will look a whole lot rosier by XMas. 

I agree.

FSP should try to get 1000 people there ASAP.  We should have 500 by the end of the year.
Also the points about business and housing are dead on!
Let talk about esoteric points of bullshit about who 'owns the commons' and more talk about getting people in NH.
"Hagrid"
FSP Participant

We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 11:41:26 pm »

With regard to the Business and Housing bits, it's in the works... We could use some volunteers (in and out of state) to help us...
Contact me via the forum, and I'll get back to you.... without volunteers to take on the task, it will take longer, and most likely the free market will charge for it too (not that that's a bad thing....)

NDLibretarian
FSP Participant

I'm a Prirate Ninja not a Ninja Pirate

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 12:26:37 am »

Changing things will just scare people away. Forcing them into commitment will just scare them away. The numbers of devotees are the numbers of devotees either way you look at it. Making it harder for them to sign up and frightening potential joiners does not help us at all. I hate to sound like Bush, but we should just 'stay the course'. God I hate Bush... any ways, changing things now wont help, anyone who's really excited about this will move ASAP anyways because New Hampshire rules, and this movement rules.

I do agree with making the wording of the SOI more 'get there ASAP' then it is now. But that would be the most.

IMHO of course...

The reason man would willingly contract into civil society is not to shake his brutish state, but rather that he may advance his ends (peace and security) in a more efficient manner. To achieve his ends man gives up, in favour of the state, a certain amount of his personal power and freedom.
KBCraig
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 12:44:09 am »

pcwallis:

Thank  you!  A most excellent summary of what really keeps people from uprooting.

Kevin
Gabo
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 01:47:03 am »

I don't see anything scary about simply opening up more options for people that sign the SOI.

Some people can't or don't want to move within the strict boundaries the choices in the SOI provide.  Why not loosen up the choices, allowing the people themselves to choose when they want to move?

I love my country!

It's my government that sucks...
hellerimports

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 07:25:05 am »

I think there should be a "pre-move" of several thousand of us....those that have been waiting for a while should commit to an upcoming day and move to set the stage.  If we could move 2,000 people per year, and begin the process next year, it would validate the cause and give hope to those who signed up out of sheer curiosity.  I think the goal should still be 20,000, but change the way we move to N.H.  Sign me up for the first wave.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 37  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: