Free State Project Forum
271215 Posts in 22214 Topics by 36596 Members / Latest Member: CynthiaDive
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 06:53:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP -- Recruiting and Publicity
| |-+  FSP Recruiting (Moderators: Steve, 1DayAtATime)
| | |-+  Geocaching travel bugs
« previous next »
Pages: [1]  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Geocaching travel bugs  (Read 12178 times)
JonM
First 1000
Administrator

Geocaching travel bugs
« on: April 08, 2004, 05:50:01 pm »

For those not in the know about geocaching click that <- link.

A quick rundown, geocaching is high tech hide and seek.  Someone puts a cache (usually a rubbermaid container or ammo box, or something of the like) somewhere on planet Earth.  They then public the latitude and longitude of the location of the box, or a location that can start you on the road to finding the box on a website such as the aforementioned www.geocaching.org site.  In this box is usually placed a log book for people who find it to make note that they found it, and various 'stuff' for them to take, usually when leaving other stuff.

Now sometimes the stuff has a metal tag on it making it a travel bug.  The metal tag has a serial number you can use on the website to show you found it (think wheresgeorge).  The object in question may have some sort of goal to travel to a certain place, or just get as many miles under it as possible.  When someone finds the bug they are supposed to take it to another cache in the general direction the bug would like to go.

I'm thinking a few small stuffed Porcupine travel bugs might be a cute advertising technique.  The travel bug's home page can contain links to the project, and the website can be put on the porcupine or the tag, or even as a second tag attached to it.  Each travel bug can be started in a different location in the country, and each one's goal should be to get to New Hampshire.  When it finally gets to a cache in New Hampshire someone who is traveling to a distant part of the country can take it there and let it do it all over again.  Heck, these things can start out in other countries and continents.

Now it would be nice to have some sort of consideration for naming them, so multiple stuffed porcupines would not be easily confused with each other.  The stated goal of each one should be to make its way to a cache in New Hampshire by stopping at as many caches along the way.  Each person who picks it up is another who will learn about the FSP.  Since I need to go to the midwest next week, I'm going to get someone who has some Travel Bug tags to create one for me to take with.  So a good naming system would be nice to have before we create it!
Mike Lorrey
FSP Participant

Live Free and Never Die

Ignore
Re:Geocaching travel bugs
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 08:02:55 pm »

A libertarian geochaching project would be to go around locating public security cameras and post them as files that people can use on Palm PDA's. Allows people to choose routes to avoid being observed.

The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time
JonM
First 1000
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 04:56:12 pm »

Freedom, the Free State Travel Bug #1 is born.

He is named after Freedom, New Hampshire.  His brothers will also be named after New Hampshire towns.

Any suggestions on alterations to his home page are welcome, I'll be taking him to Missouri tomorrow.

PattyE
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 06:36:02 pm »

Bon voyage to JonM and Freedom!  JonM will be back in a couple days, but let's see how long it takes Freedom to make the rounds, spreading the good news about the Free State Project via geocaches, and eventually return to NH.  (Geez... I feel like a mother waving bye on the first day of school...)

I will be starting a thread over in the geocaching forums on Groundspeak to see if there are any geocachers out there who are also Free State Project members.  It would be fun to have geocaching FSP members place the next porcupine travel bugs and would also be a way of hearing from fellow porcupines who might not post in the forums otherwise.

The next Travel Bugs in line and ready to go are Jefferson, Franklin, Jackson, Madison, Washington, and Lincoln, all named after prominent NH towns.  Anyone know of any other towns I missed that would fit this naming convention?

By the way, the name Freedom reflects this town's history. In 1831 the village of North Effingham voted to secede from Effingham, and in 1832, the new town celebrated its independence by changing its name to Freedom.

PattyE
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 07:21:57 am »

Here's the link to the Geocaching forum where I posted my call out to fellow geocaching porcupines.  Let's see if we get any replies!  

Any Free State Project Geocachers out there?

JonM
First 1000
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 10:03:09 pm »

There are now an additional six Free State Project Travel bugs.  Their names as Jefferson, Franklin, Woodstock, Bartlett, Washington, and Success.  All still named after towns in New Hampshire.

If there are any of you out in the further reaches of the US who own a GPS and are geocachers, or would like to get into geocaching just enough to place one of these, IM me or PattyE.

*Edit for bug name changes*
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 11:27:24 pm by JonM » Logged
livinmyluv

Why are there so many llamas in here?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 03:28:46 pm »

What a cute porcupine!!!  We'll be lucky if he doesn't get snatched up by someone who falls in love with him...
PattyE
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 09:57:14 am »

A HUGE thanks to fellow geocaching Free State Project members PizzaPizza, trevden, and tjtryon (geocaching names), who have stepped up to the plate and offered to place a few FSP Porcupine Travel Bugs in caches from Indiana to California!   It will be fun to track these porcupines and see who they encounter as they spread the word about the Free State Project in their journey back to NH!  

Follow the journey of the FSP Travel Bugs!

If anyone else is interested in placing a FSP Porcupine, let us know!  

*edit to add link*
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 10:09:16 am by PattyE » Logged

PattyE
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2004, 03:37:52 pm »

Washington - Free State Project Travel Bug #6  has been officially released in a cache named Welcome to Washington, DC, thanks to Kate and Adam Rick!  They came to NH last week to tour the Seacoast area, and while they were here, I had the pleasure of joining them and other members of the Seacoast Porcupines group for dinner at Newick's Seafood Restaurant in Dover, NH.  They offered to take Washington back to their home in Washington, DC (how appropriate!) and agreed to place him in a cache there.

So, now that he has been placed, let's see how many new friends (and hopefully new FSP members!) Washington makes, as geocachers find him and help him travel back to NH!

Thanks Kate and Adam!  It was a pleasure to meet you.  Hurry home - to NH!

*Edited to correct link*
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 03:40:22 pm by PattyE » Logged

PattyE
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 07:09:55 am »

Thanks to FSP member and fellow geocacher PizzaPizza for taking the time, during a trip to Texas, to place Bartlett - FSP Travel Bug #4 in a cache called CactusJax and Curtis #1 .  Track this little porcupine here as he makes his way back to NH.  Nice job, PizzaPizza!

By the way, all of the FSP Travel Bugs are named after the NH towns.  This one is named after the town of Bartlett, which is named after Dr. Josiah Bartlett, one of New Hampshire's three signers of the Declaration of Independence!

Toowm
First 1000
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2004, 10:05:30 am »

First, I wanted to thank you for introducing my family to geocaching. The porcupine travel bugs were the first we had ever heard of  this hobby. (Of course like any hobby, we spend more and more $$$, first on a Magellen palm GPS adapter, now a Garmin 60CS, and just ordered an antenna.)

If you are still looking for folks to release, I'd like to volunteer. We live in Illinois, but my travel takes me throughout the midwest.

I find the greatest success in recruting for the FSP comes from "linking" friends from other interests. Geocaching has become another way to connect with liberty-minded folk.

toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat
jeanius

Email
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2004, 02:29:07 pm »

We are moving to NH.  Our stuff is heading across this weekend to a storage place.  Then, once our house sells, we will head across in our RV.  We are going to take our time and visit lots of places (including FSP local groups we hope!).  We are building in NH and can't really start until spring so we aren't in a hurry.  My husband telecommutes so we have great flexibility.

I'd already planned on participating in geocaching with the kids.  Now we can help some porcupines make the journey too!  If another porcupine is available I can leave one here in southern Oregon.

Jean
PattyE
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 07:36:05 am »

Hi toowm and jeanius!

Thank you both for your offer to help place a couple FSP Porcupine Travel Bugs!  And toowm, I am very happy to see that our FSP Porcupine Travel Bug project has inspired you to become a geocacher.  It is so much fun!  (And I love the part about using a 32 billion dollar government satellite system to spread the word about the FSP - heh!)  Alternately, I hope that the porcupines that we place inspire their "finders" to become Free State Project members!

I will be sending porcupines to trevden and tjtryon (geocaching names) soon.  They are both FSP members/geocachers and have also offered to place a couple porcupines.  But I would be happy to send one to each of you, too!  All I need is your mailing address.  

For those of you who haven't heard of Geocaching, check out JonM's first post in this thread for a brief explanation.  You can also go to Geocaching.com to learn more about this very cool hobby/sport.

As of today, there are 119142 active caches in 210 countries. In the last 7 days, there have been 81705 new logs written by 16044 account holders.  We should be able to recruit a few new members here!

Toowm
First 1000
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 12:14:35 am »

PattyE-

I sent you a private message with contact info.

toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat
Frank Knight

Ignore
Re: Geocaching travel bugs
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 10:01:13 pm »

Did the porcupines ever make it to the free state? The page they had up seems to be defunct.
Pages: [1]  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: