Free State Project Forum
270835 Posts in 22134 Topics by 36398 Members / Latest Member: CWill
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 08:58:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  New Hampshire -- The "Live Free or Die" State
| |-+  NH Publicity
| | |-+  Consolidated LTE thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Consolidated LTE thread  (Read 16408 times)
RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
Consolidated LTE thread
« on: September 09, 2004, 11:18:08 pm »

Now that I'm in NH I'm writing so many LTE's I guess I should condense them into one thread now.  Not all of them are entirely written by me, in some cases I just had a hand in writing them.  I won't copy here the ones I've already sent but will post new ones here.

Well actually here is one old one I forgot to post elsewhere; it ran in the Sentinel around Sept. 4.

---

In response to Greg Speeter's August 28 article "The Federal Budget Hits NH:"

Thanks for shining the light on Washington's money-sucking misuse of New Hampshire dollars.  It is now standard FedGov practice to bleed money away from successful states like ours and dump it on the "welfare states;" you're right to cry foul.

However you disembark way too soon from the bus you have boarded.  Why not ride it all the way to the station?   Your solution seems to be tinkering with the problem, adjusting Federal spending habits here and there, mostly to the benefit of regulatory agencies and sinkhole social programs.  But tinkering won't cure the Federal addiction to overspending, and one state bellyaching through the normal channels probably wouldn't even make them tinker.

But there's something else we *can* do, something that would really spike their coffee down there in the District of Coercion.

Last  year, our state reps Ingbretson, Ober and Cady sponsored a bill in the House (HB 1193) that would establish a committee to examine whether the Feds even have the Constitutional right to take a dime from us.   As I recall there was also another, more robust bill that would exempt state residents outright from paying the Constitutionally-challenged Federal Income Tax.  This would presumably save the average NH taxpayer around $4,000 to $6,000 a year.  If we're not paying the tax, we don't have to worry about whether we're getting the money back.  This isn't just a selfish act; forcing the Federal genie back into its Constitutional bottle would benefit the whole country!

Anyway, I don't know what happened with these bills but I assume they must not have passed.  I urge our reps to give it another go, and I urge readers to support them.   You can find contact information for your rep and a record of how they voted on this by visiting nhliberty.org and then clicking "Activities."
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 08:56:19 pm by Dada Orwell » Logged

The Revolution is now Televised
http://RidleyReport.com
SteveA
FSP Participant

Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?

Ignore
Re:Consolidated LTE thread
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 11:39:39 pm »

I'm writing so many LTE's I guess I should condense them into one thread now.    I won't copy here the ones I've already sent but will post new ones here.

And now you're a New Hampshire resident too! Smiley  Very kewl

Thanks for all your help, Dada.

"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."
RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 10:13:45 pm »

http://www.telegram-franklinnh.com/whoareyou.html
telegram@salmonpress.com

Dear folks at the Telegram:

I read your editorial about President Bush's handling of the Terror War, and I think I like your take on things.  You recognize the complex truth, that he is a good guy and decisive leader but that he has made some bad war decisions.  The worst of these is his un-Republican, uncontrolled spending.   In fact, the path to victory is to reduce government, eliminating laws that stand in the way of individual security.  This will never happen at the Federal level, where spenders reign, laws restrict individual defense and you and I have very little say.  

But there is a lot we as individuals in New Hampshire can do to make this state a more difficult target.  Start taking advantage of the wonderful and almost unique self-defense freedoms we have here.  For instance, if you're a teacher, you have the opportunity to act on the lessons from Columbine and Russia.   Schools are helpless neutered targets in most places, but New Hampshire law allows our teachers and parents to be prepared.  If you're an adult with safety training and a pistol permit (easily acquired), for God's sake don't come to school unarmed!  You can carry concealed or openly most anywhere except a courtroom, protected by state law so long as you do not brandish or threaten.  If you *run* a school or business, please consider *supporting* guns there rather than opposing them.  Gun freedom is one of the main reasons we have low crime in New Hampshire; it can also be the thing that makes us the least desirable terror target.   Contrary to popular belief, guns can be carried very safely.  And they can turn a massacre into a fighting chance.  

Don't rely on Mr. Bush or the police to protect your students or let some bureaucrat-in-denial keep you from taking this responsibility.   If you're an adult under the roof of a school, you're the last line of our childrens' defense.

RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 10:17:27 pm »

editors@
nhgazette.com

Dear folks at the Gazette:

I read your LTE from the District 10 State Rep candidate who feels intimidated by the Coalition of New Hampshire Taxpayers because they asked him to make his position clear on tax increases. My understanding is he refused to answer them.

Let me answer the candidate's concern this way: I think it's great that you aren't just telling people what they want to hear. But if you are going to be a representative in a free state...it is your *job* to be intimidated by the people you serve. You should be proud of this, honored at the opportunity to serve a people so free spirited, cranky and demanding. They make New Hampshire worth representing!

You missed an opportunity to make a pact with them, to show them you understand our taxes are far too high here and that additional taxes would be absolutely unthinkable. This should be a no-brainer. If you really have to stop and think about it, if you become ruffled in response to the question, well all I can say is you might be a great neighbor, but I wouldn't want you handling my tax money.

RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 06:24:45 pm »

Sent to Concord Monitor 9/14

I read Meg Heckman's article on the visit by Housing and Urban Development Secretary Liu.    I'll admit it's good to see the Bush administration is taking a bad agency (HUD) and focusing it on home ownership instead of more slums.   But imagine what our local institutions, our local *individuals* could accomplish if the Feds were not poking their fingers in our pie.  They return only 80 cents for every tax dollar NH taxpayers send them while some of the failed "welfare states" get up to 120 cents back per dollar.

CATCH,  NHHFA and Citizens Bank are far more effective than HUD, yet here are their representatives lined up 10 deep for a word with this bureaucrat, in essence begging for their eighty cents back.

I think maybe NH House Reps Cady and Ober had a better idea when they simply proposed we stop sending that dollar to DC.  Their House Bill last year would have exempted all New Hampshire residents from paying the Constitutionally-challenged Internal Robbery Squadron tax in the first place.  If the Feds aren't getting our dollar, we don't have to beg for our eighty cents back.

I'm glad the bill came up, but it needs to come up again and *pass* this time.   With all the hubub about presidential elections we forget that they are *all* big spenders now, and it may be that the only peaceful way to stop them is for one state to stand up and say NO.    With state law behind us New Hampshire residents can force a change.

(sig)

RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 01:05:14 am »

Dear folks at the Union Leader:

Thanks for your editorial celebrating the expiration of the national assault weapons "ban." But sometimes we focus too much on the national scene, over which we have limited control. Most individuals can't impact national policy. However one person acting alone can do tons for gun freedom and violence prevention in New Hampshire.

Why are our assault weapon freedoms threatened nationwide? It's because too few of us openly exercise them. In the same way, our statewide right to open carry is iffy because not enough of us exercise it. I'm guilty too.

But if we don't exercise these rights (responsibly), we'll eventually lose them, leaving us in the same defenseless boat as Columbine and Breslin. To NH gun owners I plead: You can carry openly virtually anywhere in state. Generations fought hard to preserve that right. Wherever practical and legal, I hope you'll consider gratefully wearing your sidearm as I'm planning to do once I get my external holster. It's a rare enough act that one person doing it can have a big impact, reminding everyone we intend to exercise this right until its removal becomes unthinkable.

RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 01:53:25 pm »

Sent to Laconia Citizen

news@citizen.com

Regarding your Sept. 18 article...Thanks for shining some light on the latest "seat belt war" between New Hampshire and the feds.

It does my heart good to hear that a state safety official is standing up to these nanny-government types from DC.   They seem to be under the impression that it's their job to protect us from ourselves.  But last I heard the Constitution does not give them the power to tell our state government what kind of seat belt laws to enforce on its own roads.   Probably they will never butt out of our affairs on their own, but we can make them irrelevant if we just keep ignoring their attempts to dictate to us.

RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 11:29:42 pm »

sent to
http://www.keeneequinox.com/main.cfm?include=submit

(You may publish this without contacting me)

Dear folks at The Equinox:

I read Nick Archer's Sept. 23 article on Governor Benson's abortion stance and New Hampshire's libertarian streak.  Although libertarians come down on both sides of the abortion issue, I think it is *awesome* that Archer is demanding that Benson be more libertarian.  Certainly he's already the most libertarian governor in the country, but we could always use more of a good thing.

While we're on the topic of a woman's right to make decisions...if she's got the right to choose abortion, shouldn't she have the right to make *all* the decisions about her body?  For good or ill, a pregnant college student has the freedom to abort.  But how about the choices she is denied by law when she's not pregnant?   The choice whether to use alcohol.  Whether to smoke pot.  Whether to arm herself against stalkers.  Whether to have sex with other adults and if so on what terms - the government regulates this too in many cases.  Shouldn't these decisions be entirely hers to decide based on her upbringing and values?  When she hits 18 shouldn't the government let her make them and step in only if she becomes a threat to others or they to her?

If I sound crazy, no sweat!  Just tune me out.  But if what I say resonates with you, do something about it!   Join me and other freedom lovers at Friendly's Restaurant, 166 West Street in Keene.  We meet on the 4th Thursday of each month at 7PM and are dedicated to action, to the goal of liberty in our lifetime.  We want to live under a government that limits itself to the defense of individuals from aggression and fraud, but we can't do it without your help.

RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2004, 08:29:01 pm »

(You may publish this without further permission from me if you like)

Dear folks at the Sentinel:

I read your Sept. 28 article about the State Liquor Commission's daring raid on the Concord Sam's Club.  I see their valiant work continues:  protecting young adult shoppers from making their own decisions about whether to buy a beer.

I realize most states were "forced" to raise their drinking age by the paternalists in Washington.  But I don't see any reason for us to be doing the Feds' work with such gusto.   The least we could do in liberty-loving New Hampshire is stop enforcing their unconstitutional, teen-phobic mandates.   Nineteen-year-olds are old enough to be drafted; they deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to alcohol.   They're not usually half as big a threat as busybody government.

If you don't like what I'm saying, ignore it.  But if it resonates with you, do something about it.   Join me and other freedom lovers at Friendly's Restaurant, 166 West Street in Keene.  We meet on the 4th Thursday of each month at 7PM and are dedicated to action, to the goal of liberty from Nanny Gov. We want to live under a government that limits itself to the defense of individuals from aggression and fraud, but we can't do it without your help.  Call (my number) if you'd like to know more.

(sig)

(I was able to verify that this one was published)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 09:49:20 am by Dada Orwell » Logged

RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2004, 08:55:14 pm »

letters@theunionleader.com   ml

------

Dear folks at the UL:

Regarding your article on the Londonderry school that nixed one of their student's yearbook photos because it showed him trapshooting:

I'd like to share with you a letter one of my friends just wrote to their superintendent, Greenberg:

Mr. Greenberg:

One of the problems with running a state-funded public school system is that you have to put up with people like me who realize that everything you do is my business. You are, after all, using my money taken without my consent.

Why are you risking that coercively obtained money to block a law-abiding student from submitting the year-book photograph of his choosing? Why are you assuming that the trapshooting rifle in his photo has anything to do with aggression against people?

This is not the Live Servile or Die State; it is a place that cherishes its gun rights. And you're in it; you work for its people! Please rethink what you are doing with their tax money; it will cost you and ultimately the innocent taxpayer a heck of a lot if the student sues you.

RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2004, 09:39:55 pm »

dm

Open Letter-to-the-Editor exclusively for Nashua Telegraph

Dear Editor:

Regarding your Sept. 27 article on the flag burning amendment: I'd like to ask others to apply a simple principle to this issue and decide whether government has a role here based on this principle:

Government...exists to protect people from aggression and fraud and should NOT do much of anything else.

In this case, they're attempting to amend the Constitution so that it protects property (however revered) from the property owner (however sleazy). Perhaps it also protects folks from having their feelings hurt when they see Old Glory being desecrated.

But who would it protect from aggression or fraud?

As much as I might want to make life miserable for the losers who burn my second favorite flag (second to New Hampshire's!) there isn't a legitimate role for government in this issue. Presumably the question has come up as an election year ploy.

But there is a bright side: The amendment has no chance of passing, so whatever resources Congress expends on it will have no direct effect on the size of government or its ability to restrict freedom. That's more than I can say for most of the things they do.

RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2004, 09:53:01 pm »

ml   ~9/20
This went to concord monitor

letters@cmonitor.com

----

In response to your September 16 article....it looks like the "NH Board of Education Prevention" is at it again. In a case of "mandated coercion," the board has decided it wants to protect local school districts from their own judgment by forcing all of them to start kindergartens. The districts that are sane and frugal enough to have avoided this up until now would be forced to fund this dubious scheme, stripping taxpayers of additional dollars or cutting other programs.

Why do most of the recommendations coming from this board, at least the ones mentioned in your article, involve spending increases? Does this bunch ever focus on ideas that would *reduce* spending? They act as though they have no concern for the manner in which this money is obtained...the punishing taxes, the unconstitutional audits (home invasions) perpetrated by our Property Tax Gestapo.

The board has the power and moral duty to limit these evils that have been loosed upon us...they can start by rethinking their mandated kindergarten scheme. They can continue by focusing more on proposals that would let our districts save money.

RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2004, 12:20:39 am »

http://www.keenesentinel.com/main.asp?SectionID=43&SubSectionID=105&ArticleID=39741

In your article above on the NH BOE school standards plan, you said the following:

"Just don’t let anyone crab about all the 'educrats' the schools will have to hire to do it."

I'm wondering....how do you plan to stop everyone from "crabbing" about educrats?  Do you know a loophole in the First Amendment?  Do you know a way to turn educrats into something other than what they are?

Their salaries come from my wallet and are taken without my consent.  So regardless of your lack of respect for my free speech, I will "crab" about this forever and ever and ever; I will never stop; I will never relent until coercively funded state education is a thing of the past here.

RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 12:30:35 am »

Mike Lorrey LTE in Keene Sentinel:

In your September 30 editorial on Governor Benson's robust no-tax pledge, you said: "Benson has a dreadful two-year vision of shortchanging education, land conservation, children’s health insurance and everything else that’s sacred and holy."

I want to assure you there is nothing sacred about forcing your neighbor to pay for the education of strangers, nothing holy about making her fund other families' health insurance.

You write as though you have no sense of where the money comes from....the punishing property taxes, the unconstitutional home invasions (audits) by the state Tax Gestapo. And you advocate thieving even more money from the taxpayer; for God's sake you claim state bureaucracies are being "shortchanged!"

Had I ever said such a thing I would be filled with shame.

(it's been verified that this one got published)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 12:12:52 am by Dada Orwell » Logged

RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 12:37:32 am »

Dave Mincin's LTE in Keene Sentinel:
---

In your Sept. 26 article on school standards, you bemoan the fact that New Hampshire is the only state that lacks statewide, coercively-funded kindergarten. You seem to think it is a bad thing that our state government actually trusts individual school districts to make the "kindergarten decision" for themselves.

Well, there are a lot of "bad things" about New Hampshire that we should think twice about "fixing."  There is a reason we are ranked among the top three wealthiest states in the nation....it's because we limit our public spending more than the "welfare states" do.  Now you propose to make us more like them, less like us.

Sorry, but I like us being on top and intend to fight day and night to keep us there, you and the spendmongers nonwithstanding.

(I was able to verify this one got published)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 12:11:31 am by Dada Orwell » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: