Free State Project Forum
271419 Posts in 22259 Topics by 36717 Members / Latest Member: suit38yard
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2014, 03:34:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  New Hampshire -- The "Live Free or Die" State
| |-+  NH Information and Discussion
| | |-+  Essay submitted: Benson Allies Gain Ground but Lose Benson
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Essay submitted: Benson Allies Gain Ground but Lose Benson  (Read 8679 times)
RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
Essay submitted: Benson Allies Gain Ground but Lose Benson
« on: November 05, 2004, 08:27:07 am »

I've submitted this for publication on the main site; Steve Cobb is looking it over now.

Benson allies gain ground but lose Benson
How should Free Staters react?

Tuesday's gubernatorial election brings a new governor to New Hampshire, John Lynch. Lynch
came to power promising an end to our statewide property tax and pledging to veto
any sales or income tax. In any other state this would be considered some sort of
anarchist coup. But here liberty lovers see it as *setback* for freedom because
his opponent, Craig Benson was far more anti-tax than that. Most observers, including
me, expected the incumbent Benson to win. In the event, his allies in the legislature
did well...but Benson didn't. Stung by a series of scandals and various other problems
I will recount, Benson failed to win re-election, by a margin of 2%. The news is
not all bad, not by a long shot. I'll go into detail on that later. But this piece
of news is bad enough to cancel out quite a bit of good. Benson is an unrivaled
champion of liberty in New Hampshire; when compared to him even Lynch is not.

First, let's look at why Benson lost, or at least my take on it. I'll concentrate only
on the factors that were under his control or ours, and as you will see...if any
one of these problems had been dealt with, Benson probably would have won.

Winston Churchill once said you shouldn't criticize others for something they did in the past unless
you can prove that you sounded the alarm bell at the time. So I'm attaching links to our discussion of these problems
in the months preceding the election.  Now...the problems:

1) Benson didn't start fighting soon enough.
http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=31;action=display;threadid=7694;start=msg105570#msg105570

2) We didn't start fighting for *him* soon enough, although kater did sound
the alarm starting in August:
http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=31;action=display;threadid=7694;start=msg105598#msg105598

3) Benson's campaign did not adequately mobilize the volunteers who signed up as
such on his their website, or at least when they did it was too late.
http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=42;action=display;threadid=8393

4) His administration had too many perceived ethical breaches:
http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=44;action=display;threadid=8115;start=15#lastPost

5) Finally, at this early stage, there simply are not yet enough Free Staters in-state
to have a major impact. Sixty of us have officially moved since state selection
a year ago, with perhaps another sixty movers not yet counted. One hundred and twenty
green, early-arriving activists constituted a helpful force, but not a major one.
And only a fraction of us were concentrating on the Benson-Lynch race. As best I
can tell, recently moved Free Staters made up somewhere between 3 and 7 percent
of Benson's active volunteer base. I'm basing this educated guess on the number
of recently relocated Free Staters that showed up at the last two debate rallies.
Others, of course, contributed in different ways or helped a different liberty cause.

Perhaps we recent movers were able to gain Benson an extra percentage point. If
things had been just slightly different our efforts would have pushed him over the top and
changed the course of New Hampshire history, perhaps American history. Close only counts in
horseshoes and hand grenades, but this won't be our last chance.

Significantly, there is one thing that did *not* contribute to his loss, as best I can tell, and
in this we should take heart. His association with the Free State Project does not
seem to have hurt him; in fact it appears not to have been an issue in the race.
If Lynch ever attacked him for supporting us, it wasn't reported in the press. As
best I can tell, the last media-reported attack on Benson for associating with us
was back in June:  http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20040627/NH_001.htm
Since then we have apparently not been a point of contention, just a happy bunch
of freedom lovers coming into the state at the rate of about two a week.  If we
were too small to affect the balance positively, we were too accepted to affect
it negatively. This is great news considering the extent to which we had expected
to be resented at this early stage.

Speaking of good news, here is the rest of it, at least the parts I know as of now.

1) The "liberty-hawks" in the NH House did significantly better than the ultra-authoritarians:
http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=42;action=display;threadid=8623

2) There were some positive results in the Senate; Two key Benson opponents (moderate
Republicans) lost their Senate seats to conservative or liberty oriented candidates
during the September primary. Both of the upstart conservative Republicans won again Tuesday against Democrats.
However the Republican majority in the Senate has dwindled slightly. I haven't yet run the "liberty
numbers" to see how libertarians and authoritarians did in the Senate, but
these new Senators make up 8% of the Senate and should be better champions of freedom
than their RINO predecessors. We're still crunching the numbers over at
http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=42;action=display;threadid=8637

3) Having a Democratic governor and a Republican house should, in theory at least,
tend to bring about a bit of gridlock...that's usually good for keeping government
growth in check.  In any case, Lynch had to repudiate most of the things that are
associated with Democrats...otherwise he would have lost.  

4) New Hampshire Republicans won all four of the national races they were in. Each of the four have decent or bearable
rankings from the Republican Liberty Caucus.   The Caucus rates Bradley as a conservative, Sununu as a libertarian,
Gregg and Bass as enterprisers (which means they are libertarian-leaning by Congressional standards).
Though none of them are pure libertarians, each is more liberty-oriented than
their Democrat counterparts. New Hampshire voted for Kerry by a hair...I'm not sure
why but if they had gotten their way we would probably have seen Federal government
growth slow to crawl. Divided government usually does.

5) With regard to the effect on us Free Staters, many of us have gained experience and knowledge as political
volunteers. This we will pass on to the hundreds of new liberty immigrants expected
over the coming year. I know I've learned a thousand things I can't wait to share!

6) Many of us have made new contacts and friends with whom we worked on these campaigns,
many of them already in state government. Some of these bonds will carry on deep
into the coming century.  Speaking for myself I got to meet five state reps and
will be staying in touch with three or four of them, not to mention the dozens of
candidates and staffers who have worked to make us freer.

Ultimately, it's all a matter of how we respond to the week's events. We now realize
that our untested, unprepared troops probably came within an ace of turning the
governor's contest, in favor of liberty. If we had been a bit more active, more skilled
or more numerous, Benson probably would have won, and we could have rightly claimed
to be the decisive factor.  This should inspire us all to action of some kind, regardless of
where or who we are.  The most "happening" list of things you can do this
month seems to be kater's thread at

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=8611;start=msg115564#msg115564

Whatever constructive thing you do I don't care...the point is, just go out, do it and tell us about it!

If the result of this defeat is more activity and closer bonds with our newly acquainted
brothers & sisters in liberty, it will not have been a defeat at all.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 10:08:54 am by Dada Orwell » Logged

The Revolution is now Televised
http://RidleyReport.com
"Hagrid"
FSP Participant

We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.

Ignore
Re:Essay submitted: Benson Allies Gain Ground but Lose Benson
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 08:56:51 am »

While holding a Benson sign in Loudon, I met a Republican party official who was going from poll to poll checking on his people holding Karolian signs, and he told me I was the _first_ person he'd seen holding a Benson sign.  Benson signs were pulled down in many places by Lynch/Kerry supporters, but even within the Republican Party, Benson didn't have the troops out there.  I think the FSP volunteers were a large part of his support, once the main party decided they weren't going to support him.

This is a good thing:  it tells us the main party leadership is the problem, and we can urge liberty loving Republicans (both politicians and voters) to support candidates who are liberty loving, and it means that FSP-ish activists become even stronger due to the low numbers of activists out there.  Kerry/Democratic level forces won't happen again for 4 years, and even then they weren't local, they were Mass imports to large extent.

If we had 20K, or even 10K, or even 5K activists, we'd still be the strongest political team in the state.

Dave Mincin
FSP Participant

I'm a llama!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 10:53:41 am »

Thanks Dada....Believe your assessment to be pretty much on target.

Benson seemed to receive little or no support from the Republican establishment, and so agree with what we learned.  Do believe that knowledge, and experience will serve us well as we move forward.

I'm currently plugged into the CNHT group that is working on accumulating documentation on possible voter fraud.  They have been working on this since 2000, and hopeful we can ulitmately blow the lid off of this.  From what I have learned, it appears it was common place, but as yet we just don't have the hard evidence to move forward.

Just a thought, but perhaps we should plan some type of get together statewide in December.  Perhaps a social event with the holidays and all, but even more important an opportunity to share some of the things we learned, and share our ever increasing list of contacts.  We simply must become better organized and share information better.  My thinking is if you are going to ask people to help, it only fair that you be able to let them know what is going on.

Really believe the most important thing we have gain by our activity is the acceptance and gratitude of the freedom groups in NH for our effort.  All that talk about resentment and hostility, was just that, talk!  Reminds me of a little conversation I had with one of the tax activists while at the rally in Nashua.  First he said if you have any freestaters in this area we sure could use there help.  As he was leaving he said, with a big smile on his face,  "Sure glad you folks are here!"

On a personal level, truth is, no longer consider myself an early mover, but just one of the NH folks and a freestater, working for freedom.

Just the other day one of the NH porc's, and a friend, said to me, "Heck Dave, you are not an outsider, you are one of the NH folks!"  Hell, works for me, I'm finally home!

FORWARD!!! Wink

Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!
5thconcerto
Friend of the FSP

To live free!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 11:58:56 am »

Whereas Benson didn't receive much backing from the Republican party insiders, I was wondering if anyone has suggested the possibility of his running on the NHLP ticket? He has nothing to lose, and much to gain. Also, Dick Green has indicated he might make a run for Governor in the next election. Payback time?
"Hagrid"
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 12:05:14 pm »

Whereas Benson didn't receive much backing from the Republican party insiders, I was wondering if anyone has suggested the possibility of his running on the NHLP ticket?

Supposedly, Benson is retiring from politics.  It's unlikely he'd get re-elected in 2 years, but who knows...

Also, Dick Green has indicated he might make a run for Governor in the next election. Payback time?

Dick Green will get our full anti-support.  RINO hunting is going to be fun in NH.

5thconcerto
Friend of the FSP

To live free!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 12:22:29 pm »

Whereas Benson didn't receive much backing from the Republican party insiders, I was wondering if anyone has suggested the possibility of his running on the NHLP ticket?

Supposedly, Benson is retiring from politics.  It's unlikely he'd get re-elected in 2 years, but who knows...

Also, Dick Green has indicated he might make a run for Governor in the next election. Payback time?

Dick Green will get our full anti-support.  RINO hunting is going to be fun in NH.

Benson made a vague allusion to a future campaign that was quoted in one of the papers. Sorry, I don't remember which one.
Karl

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 12:27:56 pm »

Whereas Benson didn't receive much backing from the Republican party insiders, I was wondering if anyone has suggested the possibility of his running on the NHLP ticket? He has nothing to lose, and much to gain. Also, Dick Green has indicated he might make a run for Governor in the next election. Payback time?

Dick Green will likely seek the GOP nomination, but he will not get it.  I know that I and many others will never forgive what he did to Benson.  He so openly and viciously attacked Benson that Lynch even quoted him in his TV commercials.
"Hagrid"
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 12:42:28 pm »

Dick Green will get our full anti-support.

Who do you mean by 'our'?

The FSP does not support or oppose candidates.

Clearly I don't mean you, fisher the troll.  Far be it from me to speak for the trolls.  I also don't claim to speak for the FSP, dimwit.  Did I ever say I did?  I speak for Porcupines everywhere, whomever wants to join the umbrella.

In other words, get lost, troll.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 12:42:56 pm by SethCohn » Logged

Karl

Email
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 12:50:10 pm »

I would be very surprised if he sought any office again.  Truth is, he's not a politician, and I don't think he likes politics.  He was the first true "citizen" governor in a long time, and the political establishment hated him for it and made sure he knew it.

I do hope he continues his charitable work.  This was one thing he seemed to truly enjoy.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 12:51:05 pm by Karl Beisel » Logged
"Hagrid"
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 12:56:07 pm »

Hmm, someone who supports the FSP, has money, and now has little to lose by spending some money on our behalf...

Oh, Jason.... time for a phone call....

atr
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2004, 04:56:33 pm »

I speak for Porcupines everywhere, whomever wants to join the umbrella.

As a Porcupine, I'd like to clarify that you don't speak for me regarding what political action I find desirable or will engage in. I am also aware of at least one Porcupine who doesn't believe in working through the political system at all.
Dave Mincin
FSP Participant

I'm a llama!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2004, 05:22:26 pm »

Believe I know that porcupine too!

At least my opinion, most of the connections we have in NH as porcupines are social.  What we do individually or together is not FSP related, but what we chose to do to promote freedom as individuals.  The fact that we often work together politically is simply the result of our shared beliefs.

Admittedly the line gets a bit hazy sometimes, but do believe we all understand our actions do not represent the FSP in any fashion, and do our best to explain this to all we meet.

Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!
"Hagrid"
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 06:26:38 pm »

I speak for Porcupines everywhere, whomever wants to join the umbrella.

As a Porcupine, I'd like to clarify that you don't speak for me regarding what political action I find desirable or will engage in. I am also aware of at least one Porcupine who doesn't believe in working through the political system at all.

All questions of what constitutes 'Porcupine-dom' asides, I still never said I speak for ALL Porcupines, but for Porcupines everywhere, whomever _wants_ to join the umbrella.  Stop assuming already.

Geez, you guys need to lighten up.  Stop reading 'all' or 'none' into everything that doesn't say those words.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 06:44:44 pm by SethCohn » Logged

DC
FSP Participant

I'm a llama!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2004, 06:35:27 pm »

Dick Green has my full anti-support also.

Governments view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves ,tax it.If it keeps moving,regulate it.And if it stops moving,subsidise it.--Ronald Reagan-- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys P.J. O'Rourke
RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2004, 10:14:25 am »

I guess it's just a matter of doing what we can to help the most liberty oriented candidate who runs for gov....I look at it that way rather than simply fighting Dick Green.  If he ends up at some point being the most liberty oriented viable candidate running I would support him at that time.  Hope it never comes to that.

I would support a fencepost if it were the most liberty-oriented viable candidate.

The Revolution is now Televised
http://RidleyReport.com
Pages: [1] 2  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: