Free State Project Forum
270471 Posts in 22076 Topics by 36315 Members / Latest Member: Normanea
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 26, 2014, 12:05:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP -- General Discussion
| |-+  General FSP Discussion
| | |-+  Urgent Info Needed!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Urgent Info Needed!  (Read 17980 times)
JasonPSorens
Administrator

Neohantonum liberissimum erit.

Urgent Info Needed!
« on: April 27, 2003, 07:22:03 pm »

Tim Condon was arrested today at the NRA convention for handing out FSP literature.  I need to know who else was with Tim at the convention; we need to make a big media stink about this.  We are also thinking about launching a civil suit against the city of Orlando and the NRA.

"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Robert H.

Jeffersonian

Ignore
Re:Urgent Info Needed!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2003, 07:34:34 pm »

Tim Condon was arrested today at the NRA convention for handing out FSP literature.  I need to know who else was with Tim at the convention; we need to make a big media stink about this.  We are also thinking about launching a civil suit against the city of Orlando and the NRA.

What the heck?!   Shocked

It shocks me that the NRA would do something like this.  

JasonPSorens
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2003, 08:19:56 pm »

You shouldn't be; the NRA is a basically statist organization.  Every local gun-rights activist I've spoken to mentions how the NRA has backed this or that so-called "reasonable" gun control measure, against the efforts of local gun-rights activists.

"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Robert H.

Jeffersonian

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2003, 08:26:18 pm »

You shouldn't be; the NRA is a basically statist organization.  Every local gun-rights activist I've spoken to mentions how the NRA has backed this or that so-called "reasonable" gun control measure, against the efforts of local gun-rights activists.

Interesting.  I wasn't aware of that, but then I haven't kept up with their various activities in awhile.  

It's a shame; so many out there perceive them as a staunch pro-liberty advocacy group.

JasonPSorens
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2003, 08:36:17 pm »

Yep, a lot of libertarians have quit the NRA and joined the GOA (Gun Owners of America) and JPFO (Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership).  Ask the folks at The Libertarian Enterprise what they think of the NRA, and you'll get an earful.

Tony
FSP Participant

Anywhere but Delaware

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2003, 09:42:51 pm »

Yep, a lot of libertarians have quit the NRA and joined the GOA (Gun Owners of America) and JPFO (Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership).  Ask the folks at The Libertarian Enterprise what they think of the NRA, and you'll get an earful.

This doesn't surprise me at all.  NRA=SOBs.  They support all sorts of anti-gun BS and are going to try to unseat one of the most pro-gun (and liberty in general) congressmen, Ron Paul.  

I'll try and make a big stink about this at one of the boards I mod that's filled with similar-minded gun owners.  The majority there realize how hypocritical and down-right anti-liberty the NRA is.

Please post updates whenever you can.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2003, 09:43:31 pm by Tony » Logged
RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 02:10:22 am »

I have a Free Republic registration; I'll head over there and post a message about this to the forum there.  

Can someone give more details about what happened and why?  Is there any more to this?  What specifically are the charges against Tim?

I assume we need to have our Florida media coordinator send out a news release to FL media, if that hasn't already been done.   They'll want to talk to Tim himself, probably.  Sadly, this will be seen as a libertarian vs. libertarian fight, but if this is as unjust as it sounds at first blush....if we're in it let's win it.

It's funny, I was just covering a union meeting today and shaking my head at all the stupid rules they have for what and when and where we mainstream press can shoot pictures.  But if I violated the rules (and actually I did twice today) even they would never think of having me arrested.  They might ban us from access or something but never arrest...

Yet the NRA would...wow.  

BTW if you file a civil suit be sure to invite the media to take pictures of you or whoever turning in the paperwork at the courthouse.   They love getting that kind of image.

Based on this initial report, consider me available as a short term volunteer for this effort. Let me know how I can help.  There are things I can and can't do, but I want to help.  Refer to my updated Media Relations article at http://www.freestateproject.org/mediarelations2.htm  for ideas on maximizing press coverage.

Perhaps this is our first big test as an organization...let's roll!

The Revolution is now Televised
http://RidleyReport.com
RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2003, 03:02:45 am »

Message posted to Free Republic as promised:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/901587/posts

Any of you who wish to copy and repost the message to other forums please do so.  

For a list of other forums that have shown an interest in the FSP, visit

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=804

Please don't leave Tim hanging with only a few of us supporting him.

Zxcv

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2003, 04:17:54 am »

Jason, what's the charge? Was he violating some rule he knew about?

I can't imagine they'd do anything but slap a small fine on him.

You might want to notify GOA, Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership (www.jpfo.org), 2nd Amendment Foundation and Vin Suprynowicz. Get some publicity on this, and make NRA look like the bozos they are.
SandyPrice

I'm a llama!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2003, 06:08:40 am »

I am a card carrying member of the NRA and I will write a letter this morning.  I will quit my membership if this story is true.  We need to know exactly what the charges were!  Anyone here from Florida who can find out?

Jason, I will do whatever you suggest on this including tearing up my card and sending it back.

Gun Owners of America is run by a Religious Militia and certainly will not get my membership.  
ZuG
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2003, 06:45:50 am »

I hope this is an isolated incident, and we won't run into this problem again. It's kind of a double-edged sword, though.

One the one hand, FSP members getting arrested for peacefully handing out literature is just wrong, and a violation of our civil liberties (unless he refused to leave private premises where the meeting was being held, in which case this is a very different story).

On the other hand, arrests like this can mean publicity, and there is no such thing as bad publicity, especially when we were doing nothing wrong. We can use this to our advantage.

Jason, let me (us) know if there is any way I can help monetarily (bail, etc). I'd be happy to help.

Before you post that comment, think. The people you are talking to will soon be your neighbors. Would you talk to your neighbor in the way you are talking to those on the forum?
JasonPSorens
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2003, 07:06:19 am »

As of this morning, I still know only what I knew last night, that Tim was arrested outside the convention center for handing out FSP leaflets after the NRA called the police.  The convention center is public property, of course, but I don't know yet whether anything was posted, whether there was a warning, etc.  Those may be relevant details.  I haven't heard from anyone who was with Tim, and I haven't yet been able to get in touch with Tim or his wife, but I'll keep trying.  She told me yesterday that she was putting bail together, so I assume he's out.

Kelton Baker
Former FSP President
FSP Participant

Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2003, 09:02:10 am »

Could it be possible that someone thought Tim to be an unruly protester from the Million 50-Mom March Across the street?
Is there a permit requirement to be a protestor in Orlando?
Not too many answers in this morning's news . . .
Orlando Sentinel: Marchers deliver message to NRA
(Though no arrests mentioned in this highly biased news article).

Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein
SandyPrice

I'm a llama!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2003, 11:28:57 am »

I emailed the NRA asking them about the information and got somebody's attention who just emailed me back that they would get on it immediately.

RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2003, 12:24:17 pm »

Zx wrote:

<<You might want to notify GOA, Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership (www.jpfo.org <http://www.jpfo.org>), 2nd Amendment Foundation and Vin Suprynowicz. Get some publicity on this, and make NRA look like the bozos they are. >>

Zx:  Jason's just one guy; he's not going to have time to notify all these folks ands still do the things that only he can do (like activating the FL media coordinator).  We should take care of this minor stuff ourselves.  I'll notify JPFO myself.  Who can handle the others?  Zx can you?  
Let's get this done by tomorrow, Apr 29, 6PM message board time.  ( I believe that's same as US Eastern Standard).

I would say this, though....a British general once said usually things aren't as good or as bad as they appear when you first hear of them.  Perhaps there is some piece of information that we will learn over the next day or so that will cool things down a bit; maybe the NRA didn't instigate the arrest themselves, or maybe there was some other mitigating circumstance we don't know about.  We'll need to make sure we don't make any accusations that aren't confirmed.  We should probably also not get too enraged until we have a clearer picture of how righteous our cause is in this case.

We have ironclad confirmation regarding this arrest, correct?    

« Last Edit: April 28, 2003, 12:26:28 pm by Dada Orwell » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: