Free State Project Forum
270464 Posts in 22072 Topics by 36307 Members / Latest Member: Eilee
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 05:10:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP -- Recruiting and Publicity
| |-+  FSP Recruiting (Moderators: Steve, 1DayAtATime)
| | |-+  Volunteer List - get these folks into action!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Volunteer List - get these folks into action!  (Read 18510 times)
RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
Volunteer List - get these folks into action!
« on: March 14, 2003, 11:03:17 pm »

If you are willing to undertake an occasional bite-sized mission that will help the FSP, here's a thread where you can sound off, make your preferences known and get into action. Doing so is not a commitment on your part; you can go in as deep or as shallow as you want. But it will provide a road map for other Porcupines looking for help with projects.

To announce your potential willingness to volunteer, please reply to this post answering as few or as many of the questions below as you like. The more you answer the more likely you are to receive requests that meet your needs.

{E-mail or best way to get in touch with you? (List primary and alternate if you can) }

{Name(s) which you are most commonly known in the FSP? }

{ Your geographic location? (be as general or specific as you like) }

{What kinds of volunteer work would you most enjoy doing for us? }    (Examples: Programming, website work, writing or performing music, work where you are around other Porcupines, work where you are alone, work involving e-mail or writing, work involving the telephone, serving as a greeter or contact person for incoming members, public/media relations, publicity stunts, accounting/treasury, member recruiting, work with your local FSP group, lobbying, fundraising, manning a booth, net-based FSP radio show, FSP video production, brainstorming, relocation help, research, article writing, foreign recruiting or other foreign issues, legal support, event planning, event assistance, entertainment, speaking,  introducing a speaker, polling, leading a volunteer workgroup, political platform-building, phone or phone bank work, business relations, business recruiting, think-tank work, photography, bookwriting, desktop publishing, graphic design, printing, editing articles, helping with mailings, membership database work, monitoring a govt. or regulatory agency, use of your business or home as a chapter meeting place, working registration at a meeting, helping determine political endorsements. Please add your suggestions for additional examples)

{ Any general characteristics that tend to make a project easier for you to volunteer for? }

{Any general characteristics that would make a project harder for you to volunteer for? }

{Foreign languages: }

{Other interests/skills: }

{Best times/days for you to volunteer? }

{Other Comments:}

Notes:

Warning:  Sometimes our web forum times people out while they are answering this survey (or posting in general).  This and other forum problems sometimes kill whatever you write in the message field.  Best thing to do is write all forum posts in your word processor then copy them to the forum's message field.

Please be sure to include the {prompts} in your reply, but ideally it's best not to copy anything else from the questionnaire.  

If you are one of those *recruiting* from this list (as I hope many of you will) please ensure for the volunteer's sake that their suggested mission generally adheres to the Helen Little Standards They're working for free, so it's the least you can do for them.

This thread is only for announcing and detailing your willingness to volunteer. If you have comments regarding the thread itself or anything else let's discuss them over at
this other thread.

Of course, you don't have to wait for someone to "volunteer" you before you get into action.  Just drop by  http://freestateproject.org/help.htm for a list of missions that need accomplishing; you can run out and do one on your own initiative.

If there are no objections, sometime we may enter the info you give us into the not-yet-existent Activist Activator database.  Whether here or there, the information is yours to change or delete at the time of your choosing.

Thanks so much, all of you who are answering the questionnaire!

- Dada

« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 08:53:46 pm by Dada Orwell » Logged

The Revolution is now Televised
http://RidleyReport.com
RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
Re:What are your prefs as an FSP volunteer?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 01:19:19 am »

Here are my own entries, anyone wanna see if they can get me to volunteer for something?

{E-mail or best way to get in touch with you? (List primary and alternate if you can)  }

dadaorwell at earthlink dot net is best, backup method would be to send me an IM on this forum.

{Name by which you are most commonly known in the FSP? }

Dada Orwell

{ Your general geographic location? }

Dallas-Fort Worth area

{ What kinds of volunteer work would you most enjoy doing for us?   }

Article writing, LTE's assisting with net-based FSP radio show (content, not technical), assisting with newsmagazine if it gets off the ground (eventually I'm more interested in doing this for cash than as a volunteer) , leading a volunteer workgroup, political platform-building, still photography, helping determine political endorsements, brainstorming, foreign recruiting or other foreign issues, think tank work, writing or performing music (lyrics and vocals are my best thing), PAC stuff.  

{ Any general characteristics that tend to make a project easier for you to volunteer for?  }

Having it conform to Helen Little's standards over at
http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1451

I like bite sized jobs that don't last more than a month.

{ Any general characteristics that would make a project harder for you to volunteer for?  }

Advanced math.  Having to make a long term commitment.  

{ Which of these are your biggest motivations for volunteering:  }

Creativity/self expression, independence, variety, self improvement

{ Skills/Strengths/Weaknesses: }

News/Production Videographer/Editor.  I'm good.   I don't own any gear tho.

{ Foreign languages: }

Croatian (AKA Serbian or Bosnian), some Spanish

{ Other interests: }

History, WWI, computer games, survivalism (more of a supporter of it than a participant), amateur Churchill expert,  the Balkans, science fiction, astronomy

{ Best times/days for you to volunteer? }  

Evening, for now.  

« Last Edit: October 11, 2003, 02:43:04 pm by Dada Orwell » Logged

The Revolution is now Televised
http://RidleyReport.com
Zxcv

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2003, 09:54:08 am »

{E-mail or best way to get in touch with you? (List primary and alternate if you can) }

IM on this forum

Zxcv

Oregon

{ What kinds of volunteer work would you most enjoy doing for us? }

work involving e-mail or writing, lobbying, brainstorming, research, article writing, political platform-building, think-tank work, editing articles, helping with mailings, membership database work, monitoring a govt. or regulatory agency, helping determine political endorsements

{ Any general characteristics that tend to make a project easier for you to volunteer for? }

{ Any general characteristics that would make a project harder for you to volunteer for? }

{ Which of these are your biggest motivations for volunteering (these are from Helen Little's book): }

- creativity/self expression
- Independence
- Sense of Duty
- Service/Interest in cause

none to speak of

various

{Keywords (these will assist volunteer hunters in finding you) }:

don't get the point of this

« Last Edit: March 17, 2003, 09:56:18 am by Zxcv » Logged
PDenisch
FSP Merchandise Coordinator
Friend of the FSP

What Would Ludwig Do?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 10:54:51 am »

PDenisch@CBIZ.com

Phil-IWantMyFSP-FSPHelper

MD

Programming, website work,  work where you are alone, work involving e-mail or writing, work involving the telephone, serving as a greeter or contact person for incoming members, accounting/treasury, work with your local FSP group, manning a booth, net-based FSP radio show, brainstorming, research, article writing,  event planning, event assistance, entertainment, speaking, introducing a speaker, leading a volunteer workgroup, political platform-building, phone work, think-tank work, photography, bookwriting, desktop publishing, printing, editing articles, helping with mailings, membership database work, working registration at a meeting, helping determine political endorsements.

Not really

{ Any general characteristics that would make a project harder for you to volunteer for? }
Not really

{ Which of these are your biggest motivations for volunteering (these are from Helen Little's book):}
- creativity/self expression (desire to contribute inventive new ideas)
- Independence (desire to work free from supervision, on your own)
- Self-improvement (gain or sharpen skills in safe environment)
- Sense of Duty ("If I don't do it who will?")
ok,ok, you got me - Recognition (public recognition of contribution)

Computers, writing, basic FSP knowledge/truly believe FSP is best strategy/a little shy at first

No languages (well maybe just a few words)

philosophy, economics, poetry, movies

Weekends/evenings

{Keywords (these will assist volunteer hunters in finding you) }:
for keywords, use the list above

I can't do much, but I'll do what I can.  Smiley
Not really opposed to any kind of work, if it's something I'll want to do.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2003, 03:22:22 pm by IwantmyFSP » Logged

ad summam redire societatem coire, persevare
AmericanFreeBird

I'm a llama!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 08:50:04 am »

Primary:  <in the BBS memory>
Alternate:  jpfonline@hotmail.com

AmericanFreeBird aka Pete Jones

CT State

Writing, Computer Programming, emailing, Contacting legislators, demonstrations, rallies (attend and/or help coordinate), pubicity stunts (I'm there), I actively try to recruit new members and advertise with people I meet, I especially focus on Pro-2nd Amendment issues in my state and nationally.

Basically, I need to know what is needed and I can judge from there what I can do to help.

Pro-2nd Amendment Pro-RKBA.

Necessary air travel.

{ Which of these are your biggest motivations for volunteering (these are from Helen Little's book):

- Affilition/Socializing

Se habla espaniol

Target shooting, hunting/fishing, going to movies with my two boys, and laying on the beach.  Smiley

Depends but generally Saturdays (planned well in advance) or Sunday afternoons.

I notice that most Americans do not realize how much of their freedoms they have lost.  The government has carefully orchestrated the "frog boiling" process and incrementally ratchets down on freedoms.  People for the most part don't notice or consider these government encroachments and accept them as "necessary evils" they must endure to be safe and secure.  What usually wakes someone up is encouraging them to get their CCW pistol permit in the state.  Then they realize in at least one way, the government has jumped the tracks of constitutional restraint.  Most folks in this state aren't even interested in the tools of self defence.  HOW DO YOU REACH THEM?  They are safe in their ivory towers (so they believe) and feel the government is only doing them a useful service.  I meet many people in whom the flame of Liberty is all but extinguished.  As long as they can make their six figure incomes and don't get too many speeding tickets, they are the "happy frog in the pot" slowly being boiled as the heat increases and their Liberties are gone forever.  The FSP in my opinion is the last best chance at attaining Liberty in a peaceful manner.  Lets roll!
 Grin
Dave Mincin
FSP Participant

I'm a llama!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2003, 12:47:13 pm »

davemincin@hotmail.com

David Mincin

Pittsburgh, PA

{ What kinds of volunteer work would you most enjoy doing for us? }    (Examples: Programming, website work, writing or performing music, work where you are around other Porcupines, work where you are alone, work involving e-mail or writing, work involving the telephone, serving as a greeter or contact person for incoming members, public/media relations, publicity stunts, accounting/treasury, member recruiting, work with your local FSP group, lobbying, fundraising, manning a booth, net-based FSP radio show, FSP video production, brainstorming, relocation help, research, article writing, foreign recuriting or other foreign issues, legal support, event planning, event assistance, entertainment, speaking,  introducing a speaker, polling, leading a volunteer workgroup, political platform-building, phone or phone bank work, business relations, business recruiting, think-tank work, photography, bookwriting, desktop publishing, graphic design, printing, editing articles, helping with mailings, membership database work, monitoring a govt. or regulatory agency, use of your business or home as a chapter meeting place, working registration at a meeting, helping determine political endorsements. Please add your suggestions for additional examples)

Good with pretty much anything, except programming and website work (no skill there)  Best to go where the need is the greatest I should think.

{ Which of these are your biggest motivations for volunteering (these are from Helen Little's book):

- Affilition/Socializing
- need for a challenge
- Leadership (visible position, authority, cool title)
- Recognition (public recognition of contribution, chance to work with important folks)
- Security (i.e. you like familiar, comfortable tasks)
- Variety (you get bored easily and want to try new jobs often). }

Affilition/Socializing/creativity/self expression/sense of duty/service/interest in the cause

Founding Fathers, Civil War, Historial Leaders, politics, science fiction, music, sports, women Smiley

Really varies sometimes a lot of time, other times no time at all.

Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!
phylinidaho

Friend of the FSP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2003, 03:14:01 pm »

adelaide31@yahoo.com, adelaide31@earthlink.com, IM on this forum

phylininidaho, Phyllis

downtown Boise, ID

work where you are around other Porcupines, work where you are alone, work involving e-mail or writing,serving as a greeter or contact person for incoming members, public/media relations,  member recruiting, work with your local FSP group, manning a booth, brainstorming, relocation help, article writing,  event assistance, entertainment,  political platform-building, think-tank work,  editing articles, helping with mailings,

Clear instructions on what is needed

Anything where it is necessary to hear  clearly (e.g., telephoning)

- need for a challenge
- creativity/self expression (desire to contribute inventive new ideas

Currently weekday afternoons and Saturdays. Subject to sudden change, due to nature of work commitments.

The FSP is my number one priority. I want to give it all I can. However, you need to know that I suffer from lack of experience in most fields, so need lots of guidance.
kend0g187
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2003, 04:06:03 pm »

kend0g187@aol.com

kend0g187, Kendon Black

Southern California

serving as a greeter or contact person for incoming members, work with local FSP group, brainstorming, article writing, event planning, event assistance, polling, leading a volunteer workgroup, think tank work, membership database work, working registration at a meeting

Clear instructions on what is needed, high importance of the project

Anything that requires skills I don't possess.

- affiliation/socializing
- creativity/self expression (desire to contribute inventive new ideas
Leadership (visible position, authority, cool title)
- Recognition (public recognition of contribution, chance to work with important folks)

evenings.

Currently in college developing my computer skills (programming, web), but I don't know that much yet.
vermass
FSP Participant

FSP Member Desert Storm veteran

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2003, 02:03:50 pm »

E-mail:dozerluver@hotmail.com
  "Name" vermass
   What can I do? : Work with local FSP. Other than that I don't really know. I have very little spare time am currently working a 12 day stretch with 15 shifts in it! If someone gets ahold of me we'll see what I can do!
   Easier: Clear organization as I am pressed for time.
   Harder: Poor leadership/organization as i cannot stand to waste time.
   Reasons for volunteering: Socialize with other FSPer's, get the FPS message out. A feeling of "contributing to the cause".
   Strengths: I can generally converse with just about anyone.
   Weaknesses: Even though I understand how a freer society works I do not allways have counter-arguments availiable. I have limited experience with this ideology.
    No foreign languages
    Other interest: Animal lover (especially dogs and the history of dogs with man), Working out with weights/keeping in shape, Small farms, homesteading, independent living/living off-the-grid, Firearms, martial arts/self defense, Healthcare and unconventional remedies, I'm a geriatric nurse (LPN), politics
   Availiability: some Thur and Fri evenings

"Give me liberty or give me death!"
varrin
Former FSP President
FSP Participant

THE air male

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2003, 04:20:48 am »

email to varrin at sugargroup dot net is best.  The address posted here (varrin@varrin.com) works also, and slowest but also effective is an im here.

Varrin.  I'm the only one I know so we can be on a first name basis Wink

Usually all over the world (Cyprus at the moment).  I live in central California.

On the list provided, these would be best:
performing music, work where I am around other Porcupines, work where I am alone, work involving email and/or writing, work involving the telephone, greeting or contacting incoming members, work with my local FSP group, brainstorming, research, article writing, speaking, introducing a speaker, political platform building, editing articles, helping determine political endorsements.

Not on the list but also of potential interest: running for office (again), providing my services as a pilot for the transporting of all things Porcupine, developing an organization focused on persuading the Christian community to embrace liberty.

Schedule flexability.  My schedule is difficult to predict.  I am often out of town and out of the country.  I am occasionally away from email and/or this forum.

Fixed schedules.

None.

Would like to learn the art of photography.  I'm learning to use Linux.  I play music professionally as a second job.  I am an airline pilot.

Totally unpredictable.  I sometimes have large blocks of time that I can work and sometimes go weeks without a break.  It would be best for me to examine projects on a case-by-case basis.

Hi from Larnica, Cyprus.  I'll get back to the forum in a couple days when I get back to the states and all caught up on other stuff.

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.
suggesto
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2003, 09:09:37 am »

{E-mail or best way to get in touch with you? (List primary and alternate if you can)  }

tcondon@freestateproject.org, or tim@timcondon.net

{Name by which you are most commonly known in the FSP? }

Tim Condon or Tim C.

{ Your general geographic location? }

Tampa, Florida

{ What kinds of volunteer work would you most enjoy doing for us?}

Whatever, however; I'm a lawyer, a published writer and a pretty good editor, but will help with anything if I can spare the time; "no job too small."

{ Any general characteristics that tend to make a project easier for you to volunteer for?  }

Closed-end jobs; I run a business so I can't devote *un*limited time to projects.

{ Any general characteristics that would make a project harder for you to volunteer for?  }

Having to make a long term commitment.  

{ Which of these are your biggest motivations for volunteering:  }

Enthusiaism and commitment; "next year in the Free State!"  Not enough time is biggest weakness.

No, other than a smattering of Spanish.

Libertarian and other freedom-oriented politics; reading; writing; science fiction; 2nd Amendment freedoms.

Whenever; in a certain sence, "all" times are bad, but this is too important a project to pass up because of mere lack of time.

Lykaina
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2003, 09:03:32 pm »

wendyw @ datahero . com

Lykaina/Wendy

south of Chicago, IL

I'm already doing it. I am a media coordinator for IL, KY and AR.

Something that can be done anytime, preferably either online research or email-oriented.

Something that involves public speaking.

{ Which of these are your biggest motivations for volunteering (these are from Helen Little's book):}

{ Foreign languages: } high school French, mostly forgotten

{ Other interests: } lots, most not pertinent to the FSP; Libertarian politics, Constitutional law, special education law

{Other Comments:} I currently do what I am able to do for the FSP. I have other constraints on my time and energy which are prohibitive to doing much more. When/if I am in a position to do more, I'll ask for more.

- Lykaina

A strong tiger is no match for a pack of wolves.
Ceinwen
FSP Participant

Goddess of the Hunt

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2003, 09:21:27 pm »

Email is really the best. reason_prevails AT hotmail.com is the main one. Alternatively, send me an MSN message. Same addy.

Ceinwen. Amanda. Take your pick.

Just outside Houston, Texas.

work involving email or writing, brainstorming, research, article writing, editing articles, etc.

Clearly established parameters and goals.

Disorganization, lack of communication.

- Affilition/Socializing
- need for a challenge
- Leadership (visible position, authority, cool title)
- Security (i.e. you like familiar, comfortable tasks)
- Variety (you get bored easily and want to try new jobs often). }

Challenge, creativity, recognition, self improvement, interest, variety.

What little good three years of half-forgotten French and Latin have done me  Smiley

European history, literature, languages, writing, and library building.

Weekends and Fridays are best, but during the week after 4pm Central is fine.

You're right, I did just join the forum. I have, however, been lurking cautiously for about 5 months. I say let's go to New Hampshire.

"Every moment think steadily as a Roman and a man and do what thou hast in hand with perfect and simple dignity..."

-- Marcus Aurelius
Elizabeth
Former FSP Vice President

Someone has to ask the tough questions...

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2003, 09:59:33 pm »

emckinstry@freestateproject.org

Elizabeth, emckinst

South Central MI (for now)

speaking
work where you are alone
work involving e-mail or writing
manning a booth
net-based FSP radio show
brainstorming
desktop publishing
graphic design
monitoring a govt. or regulatory agency
use of your business or home as a chapter meeting place

Finite task with deadlines.

Group tasks.

Animal rights / humane issues

Weekends

tjtryon

I'm a llama!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2003, 11:09:02 am »

tjt@insightbb.com, tj_tryon@ctb.com

TJ Tryon

Indianapolis, IN

Any computer related project that I can assist with.  I do some web programming, but am more of a Data Communications/System Admin/Project manager type.

German

Golf, motorcycles

Any
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: