Free State Project Forum
271098 Posts in 22166 Topics by 36520 Members / Latest Member: sonia
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 03:17:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP -- General Discussion
| |-+  General FSP Discussion
| | |-+  Forum pages take forever to load...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forum pages take forever to load...  (Read 4129 times)
Zxcv

Ignore
Forum pages take forever to load...
« on: January 04, 2003, 01:34:02 am »

Is it just me? I don't have this problem with other sites. I wonder if the server we are on is overloaded...
Robert H.

Jeffersonian

Ignore
Re:Forum pages take forever to load...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2003, 05:52:45 am »

I hadn't noticed this as much in the past, but it's gotten progressively worse recently, particularly this week.  I thought it might just be forum traffic, but it seems to be acting this way at all hours no matter how many are logged in, and I've got a pretty fast connection.

I'm using Internet Explorer.

Zxcv

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2003, 10:07:55 am »

Wow, Joe, I thought I had it bad! Sounds like you and others have seen it a lot worse.

Did our server ever get the memory upgrade? Is it in need of other upgrades?

I see Frank on that other thread writes:
This (the stall) happens to me exclusively on pages, whose *.html require downloading elements from other servers.

I am kinda ignorant of the way the web works. If we are having a hard time loading stuff from other servers, then why don't we put most of the images and things that we see over and over, like Joe's mountain goat picture or the FSP picture on the top of every page, on our own server? Or is that being too obvious?

And why would the browsers keep reloading the same images that they undoubtedly have already stored in the browser cache of everyone's computer? Aren't the damn software writers smart enough to have the browsers ask if the image isn't already down there, and then use it for building the page?? Then it wouldn't matter what server we were getting images from...

Forks, this is a serious problem!  Cry  If it's taking 10's of minutes to load, we will lose prospects simply because they will assume we are not serious. And it is not a good solution to use a new browser; we cannot expect people to want to make a change like that except perhaps for a few individuals.
cathleeninsc

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2003, 08:36:31 am »

I was also beginning to suspect "those Vermont pictures".

Cathleen in SC
JasonPSorens
Administrator

Neohantonum liberissimum erit.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2003, 09:42:00 am »

I don't know what to tell you guys.  The forum works very fast for me, but I'm on a cable modem.  I believe the server has received its memory upgrade, but I'll check and make sure.  I know the server software has been upgraded twice in the last month; maybe the latest upgrade actually made it slower!  I'm pretty sure it's not a bandwidth issue, because Eric monitors that pretty closely & lets us know if we approach the limit.

"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Zxcv

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2003, 12:26:13 pm »

Maybe it was RacerX's thing. They seem to be loading more normally today.

What about my idea for saving the profile images on the FSP server? That way we don't depend on all these other servers...

RacerX, I think we've seen enough Vermont pictures now.  Tongue
Zxcv

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2003, 08:00:38 pm »

We HAVE to deal with this. People are going to think we are not serious.

I haven't noticed any serious lags today, Joe, do you still see problems?

Maybe we need a test thread? Just keep adding stuff until it gets slow to load? To see what the problem is?

Again, why can't all these images we see time after time just be placed on the FSP server?
admin
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2003, 08:45:41 pm »

Hmm.  I just upgraded the software today, and to me the difference is incredible.  The front page loads almost instantly.  Do others find it to be worse than before?

I'm using internet explorer, which I've found to be way better than Netscape, for speed and everything else.

Charles
« Last Edit: January 05, 2003, 08:45:50 pm by Charles » Logged
Zxcv

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2003, 01:14:31 am »

Joe, could we have a problem specific to your computer? I haven't had problems since RacerX did his thing. These pages you took so long with took me 5 seconds to load, at 10pm.

I'm running IE6 with a 56k modem. Have no idea if Java is on or off.

Is anyone else having a problem any more?
JasonPSorens
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2003, 10:22:15 am »

It's funny that you're having such problems with Netscape, Joe.  I'm running Netscape 6.2 with Java enabled, 800x600 screen resolution, Windows '98, 64 MB RAM, some old outdated Celeron processor...and most pages load instantly!  I am on a cable modem, but before I got the cable modem I didn't have many problems either.  Are you using a version of Netscape 4?  I tried going back to 4.78 once and found it was horrible, both on this site and many others.  I think it must not handle PHP well or something.

"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Zxcv

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2003, 01:51:17 pm »

I've noticed in the last day I still have a problem. A couple of times I went to load a page, it took 30 sec or so to be "Done", and there was nothing, just a blank white page! Press "refresh" and it reloads properly in 5 seconds.

Just trying to post this message, it said "page not available". I had to re-write this message...

We still have problems.
JasonPSorens
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2003, 02:12:04 pm »

Yep, I've had this exact same problem today!

JasonPSorens
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2003, 03:54:59 pm »

Now I'm getting regular 504 Gateway Timeout errors on the forum (but not the main homepage).  This could be a routing problem in my area, but I doubt it, since the homepage has worked fine all day.

admin
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2003, 12:10:27 pm »

Joe, I wonder if it's just the nature of the beast.  I mean, each of these pages has a ton of text, pictures, tables, etc.  There may just be no way around the fact that it takes a half decent CPU to render it on your screen.  

The fact that it's fast for some or most of us means that it has to boil down to either your connection, CPU or browser.  My feeling is that it's probably the last two.  Keep in mind that developers can only go so far to support ancient hardware and outdated software.  I've heard of lots of web page developers that have just given up on Netscape, nevermind really old versions of Netscape (or Opera for that matter).

Charles
Zxcv

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2003, 05:34:09 pm »

I agree. If there really is a performance issue with YaBB then we should move to another software if it's not too damn expensive to do so. Maybe we should review the policy of having pictures in the profiles, too, and discourage too-frequent posting of pictures.

We want to be sure we don't throw too many potential members out, by requiring hardware at too high a level.
Pages: [1] 2  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: