Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting to consider a move...  (Read 139 times)

RooBoy

Starting to consider a move...
« on: May 02, 2017, 02:11:35 pm »

My husband and I are just starting to consider a move to New Hampshire. We are looking at northern Grafton county. Hopefully a very small town where we can get about 100 acres and start a small farm. I'm totally on board, but before we go any further down this rabbit hole my husband has a few concerns. I was hoping you guys might be able to answer them.

First, my husband is a farrier. Where we live there is more than enough work for the number of farriers in the area. He makes a good living at it. His question is, is that true in New Hampshire? He would be basically giving up the business he has built, his client base, and all of his connections and starting from scratch. He's good, so if the work is there he'll be fine. But if people don't need a farrier then there isn't work to be had. He'll have to (and will want to) continue farriering since farming doesn't really make much​ (and because he loves it)​.

Second, health insurance. I'm not looking for this to get political. Health insurance is not optional for us. My son has very severe health concerns. He's had one surgery so far and will most likely require more. He is doing really well right now, thankfully. We​ have already done the research and found doctors who specialize in what he has close by. Since we are self employed we have to find it on our own. Where we live we are able to get health insurance for our family at a reasonable price. Who knows what health insurance laws will look like in 6 months, but for right now, what do people do for health insurance?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Starting to consider a move...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 08:24:26 am »

To be honest, I'm not sure what the market is like for farriers in NH. There are several horse-riding schools in this area, so I imagine they would serve as demand. You might want to be close to VT, which is more of an agricultural state.

We were on the exchange a couple of years ago, and the policies were reasonable. Of course, they've risen since then, but then so has employer-provided insurance. Health insurance is just costly these days.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Levi

• Realtor®. Photographer.
Re: Starting to consider a move...
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 11:01:25 pm »

I'm friends with a farrier who is FSP and lives in MA.  Contact me via one of the methods through my website.  If you give me your email, I'll put you two in touch and he can probably tell you what your prospects are here in NH for that line of work.  levidunn.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything