Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Immigration Issue with wife  (Read 627 times)

jason_c

• Mobility Enabled
Immigration Issue with wife
« on: December 02, 2016, 10:53:40 pm »

Hey everyone,

I've run into a bit of a road block.  I'm a U.S. citizen, as is my young son, but my wife is not.  I figured it wouldn't be an issues getting my wife a visa because I'm a citizen and so is her son.  However, I just sat down to do her paperwork and it turns out that I might not have made enough money to qualify to sponsor her.  I say may not because I have some non-taxable income as well as rental income, but the rent didn't cover the mortgage this year.  So I'm not sure where I stand with all this and what I'll need to do. 

A while back, maybe a year or so ago, I saw an immigration lawyer posting in the forums.  I can't seem to find him now (might have been a her, but I'm pretty sure it was a guy).  There are plenty of immigration lawyers out there, but if there's one in the community, I'd be happy to try there first.   

If there's one around, I'd be like to speak with you.

Thanks,

Jason
We cannot rid ourselves of the state if we need it to defend us.  Sharing my experience and knowledge of personal protection on Spy Escape and Evasion.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
Re: Immigration Issue with wife
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 06:18:56 pm »

If I'm not mistaken the spouse of a citizen gets permanent residency in the US automatically no extra work required.  I'm not too familiar with this however.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

jason_c

• Mobility Enabled
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 10:46:56 pm »

Hey Bazil,

Thanks for your response.  I wish that were the case, but unfortunately it's not.  I have to sponsor her and apply for her to get residency.  I also have to prove that I make enough money to support my family in the U.S., which if they include non-taxable income like the GI Bill, I shouldn't have any problem.  If they don't include that, I may have issues.  But the specific forms they ask for don't include that information so I need to find a lawyer that can tell me how I would get that information included.

Jason
We cannot rid ourselves of the state if we need it to defend us.  Sharing my experience and knowledge of personal protection on Spy Escape and Evasion.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 04:08:18 pm »

There was an immigration attorney who was offering pro bono services to Free Staters at one point, but unfortunately I don't remember his name and cannot find any information on him any longer.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

jason_c

• Mobility Enabled
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 08:19:48 pm »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help.  It looks like we've gotten everything worked out with some help from friends.  Never did find an attorney, but might be in NH sooner than I expected.

Thanks Again!

Jason
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything