Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: community cinema?  (Read 1145 times)

RK

community cinema?
« on: October 15, 2016, 12:09:18 pm »

Hello to you in NH,

Who can suggest a town or area that could enjoy a small independent/art film theater and attend enough to keep it in business?

Found the FSP just a couple weeks ago while researching relocation to NH.  No decision yet.  Like most of what I'm reading but the news seems mostly old, no newsletter for almost a year, no word on 2017 Liberty Forum only three months out, lowish activity on the site, these forums and the FB page, generic tweets - is this really an active and growing thing?

trevorparscal

Re: community cinema?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 08:57:25 pm »

I don't know about the internet presence, but the monthly movers potlucks seem pretty well attended, and there's a lot of people on the list of new movers each month.

As for the cinema, you might want to focus on being near a college town, if not Manchester - as that sounds like the sort of thing people who can go out (younger people without small children) would patronize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 10:12:38 pm »

Yeah, the newsletter was shut down in favor of the blog.

I don't know why more info about Liberty Forum hasn't been announced yet. It certainly needs to be soon!

I agree on college towns for the independent cinema, but Hanover already has one. Maybe New London?
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

KDus

• Made it halfway from CA.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 02:15:46 pm »

I , too, notice a decline in site activity after the moved was triggered.

I assume it is because we're taking action now, not just talking about it online.

RK

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 02:58:06 pm »

Thanks for the replies and advice!

Found the calendar and seeing all the activity there, that's awesome and encouraging that you all actually meetup, not just post things online.  And tuned into the blog now so I see that's where news is.  Look forward to info on Liberty Forum 2017 and would attend if possible.

Will investigate the New London suggestion and look into other college towns.  Still learning the NH map, only ever been to Lake W, Mt. W and beach areas as a visitor.  Hoping to spend some time in state after the holidays.

Any more suggestions would be great and thanks again!

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 07:00:44 pm »

Maybe Henniker? It's quite a small town, but it has a college, and a theater there would be basically the entertainment for the whole town.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

RK

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 04:58:18 pm »

Jason - thanks, the Henniker suggestion is interesting.  When you say Hanover already has this are you referring to the screenings at the Hopkins Center?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 07:42:24 pm »

I was thinking of the Nugget Theater: http://www.nugget-theaters.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up