Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking of buying a bed and breakfast in NH  (Read 4174 times)

scm

Thinking of buying a bed and breakfast in NH
« on: September 17, 2013, 06:31:37 am »

My girlfriend and I are considering buying an established bed and breakfast in the white mountains. Looking for the whys and why nots and any helpful info, financing, etc... My biggest concerns are, the investment she will be making and where the economy is going.

Thanks in advance.
Scott

Sam Adams

Re: Thinking of buying a bed and breakfast in NH
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 04:44:42 pm »

Many investors use a 10% return rule to price out an investment. You should have a 10% annual return after all expenses. Lets say the business takes in $20,000 , deduct the commercial Insurance premiums, real estate tax, heating and electric, maintenance, and mostly a 1/3 vacancy rate. This fiqure should give you the value of the property times 10. So if the expenses are 10k, then the value should be $ 100,000. As far as 1929 coming, I would rather not have a mortgage, unless you could lease out it like a cheap weekly rooming house.

d.j.smith

Re: Thinking of buying a bed and breakfast in NH
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:42:15 pm »

scm:

(and this is totally off the cuff)

You only live once. The two questions you and your girlfriend should be asking are (1) Is this something we really want to do? Do we know what the downsides of such a life will be, and will the upsides more than compensate us? (2) Is the one we're thinking of buying in a good location? How has the current business fared in the past in regard to number of customers?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Pages: [1]   Go Up