Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 132   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hampshire  (Read 241918 times)

Joey

New Hampshire
« on: August 12, 2002, 02:50:14 pm »

I'm a newspaper reporter for The Ellis County Press, a conservative/libertarian/independent/Christian paper based 20 miles south of Dallas, Texas.

I read Walter Williams' column on World Net Daily last week and ever since then, I have been interested in the FSP. I am currently doing some research and interviews with folks about the FSP, seeing if it would actually work, and trying to find out if anybody else, besides me, would be willing to re-locate to New Hampshire in about 3-4 years.

Are there any Texans or anyone in particular that are fans of New Hampshire or the New England area?

When analyzing the state date on the FSP website, I found that, aside from the Nevada/Idaho region, New Hampshire would be an ideal spot to move to.

If you would like to help me with the story, feel free to contact me via e-mail or on my website:

http://www.joeydauben.com

I'll try to be a regular visitor to this forum. Thanks everybody.

;D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 09:35:59 am by JasonPSorens »

Charley

• Where's the country I grew up in?
Re:FSP/New Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2002, 07:50:09 pm »

Also a newbe.  I spent last ecening reading thru most of the current forum topics and was surprised that there doesn't seem to be mush support for the state of Maine as a relocation spot.  I'm not sure why as it has:
More coastal area.
It is at the extreme end of the USA.
It borders Canada.
It is larger than NH
The soil is better and would support more farms.
There is a tolerable fishing industry.
No One has really tried to build the IT industry there. YET!
The people that I have met from Maine seem to be independently minded sorts.
AND  
The submarine manufacturing business is in NH not Maine. Do you think that the feds would let any state put the only sub shipyard under control of a libertarian (small L) government???

And, no I'm not from Maine.
Charley in West Chester
Charley in WC

Joey

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2002, 02:51:58 pm »

Maine is nice, yes...

But if you look at all of the state data the FSP has researched, you'll see that New Hampshire ranks real high on low taxes, low federal government dependency, high percentage of independent/third party voters and less government as a whole.

New Hampshire is probably the prettiest state ...well, from the pictures I've seen.

Has anybody else strongly considered New Hampshire?

mikegags

• FSP Participant
  • Just waitin' for the Revolution to start...
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2002, 03:11:58 pm »

Also, I believe the population of ME is too high, according to the FSP guidelines.

Sure, geographically ME is better then NH. I am from NH, so realize where my loyalties lie. NH pretty much as everything else going for it over ME and almost any other state being considered (IMNSHO).

I think we should also consider which adjacent states could follow the movement when selecting the first state. I would think ME would follow NH, and in that case a NH & ME combo is much better than an ID & NV combo, especially when you consider the points you made above.

[Disclaimer: Might as well put this out now. I am a software engineer living in S-NH. There is no job market for me in states like ID & NV. NE states are my best bet, maybe DE.]

So let me get this straight, the navy yard is a NH company, but the island it sits on is in ME? So ME gets all the property and income taxes? Well, that's just dandy. We have absolutely the best govt money can buy!

"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will.  But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."

Thomas Jefferson

amyday

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2002, 03:30:12 pm »

I do think NH is one of our best choices. I just wish it wasn't so close to mass. But being so close to mass allows people to live in NH and commute to Boston. There are alot of jobs down there. I do like the open spaces in Montana, and the lack of metropolitan areas, but that means there will be less jobs. It is going to come down to wether people feel they can make it with out being near a big city. I keep flipping on this myself. I think it comes from checking for jobs in the different states, and NH coming up with the best posibilities.

mikegags

• FSP Participant
  • Just waitin' for the Revolution to start...
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2002, 03:43:09 pm »

I do think NH is one of our best choices. I just wish it wasn't so close to mass. But being so close to mass allows people to live in NH and commute to Boston. There are alot of jobs down there. I do like the open spaces in Montana, and the lack of metropolitan areas, but that means there will be less jobs. It is going to come down to wether people feel they can make it with out being near a big city. I keep flipping on this myself. I think it comes from checking for jobs in the different states, and NH coming up with the best posibilities.

Why is proximity to MA such a bad thing? It shouldn't matter at all. Or am I missing something?
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will.  But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."

Thomas Jefferson

amyday

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2002, 08:58:28 pm »

The state government of mass is heavily leaning toward the opposite direction from where we want the FS to go. NH has a lot of immigrants from mass that bring their political views with them, and are speeding up NH's departure from freedom. I am just wondering about the continual influx of anti FS people, and the negative effect it will have on our efforts. I understand that where ever we go we will have nonsupporters coming in. I just think the fact that they can keep their jobs in mass and live in beautiful NH is encouragement. Also, more people live in metro Boston than the whole state of NH, lots more.

Eddie_Bradford

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2002, 04:02:26 am »

I'm a big NH and DE supporter mainly becase of the outstanding job prospects of these two states compared to other states.  I think job prospects critical and are just a tiny hair less important than the total voting population.  This is why I like DE so much.  They have the best job prospects and have an extremely low voting population expecially in off year elections.  NH is wonderful for everything except low population where it is not that great.  But the local sentiments in NH I think would be really helpful to our cause plus I think the pro-Western front would accept this state more easily since there large areas with an extremely low population.
-Eddie

rhull

• FSP Participant
New Hampshire Ballot Access
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2002, 02:56:43 pm »

I see ballot access is easy in NH. Another + :)

The New Hampshire State House of Representatives has 400 members, some running in districts with as few as 3,000 residents.  State Representatives earn $100 annually and have no staffs or offices, although they do receive a special license plate.  Nearly 800 Granite State residents filed last week to run for the lower house in the September 10th primary, but then again, filling for State Representative isn't a very difficult thing to do.  A prospective candidate can get on the ballot by obtaining the signatures of five registered voters in their district, or if they prefer not to go to the trouble of gathering the five signatures, they can go to their local Municipal Clerk's office and pay a $2 filing fee.
"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws" -- Tacitus, Roman senator and historian (A.D. c.56- c.115)

nevmoore

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2002, 07:25:04 pm »

We live in MA, on Cape Cod, and I have been desperate to get out of this state for awhile. I have been independently researching New Hampshire (before I dicovered the FSP), and am determined to move there. It is, of course, beautiful, and has every kind of terrain except desert, within a geographically small area. There are abundant fresh water sources which are replentished by snowfall. There are no major urban areas. Low population. Travelling is easy and practical for both personal things, as well as FSP members getting together/meetings/lobbying.  Low crime rate. Good agriculture. The climate is not as extreme as some of the other proposed states. I agree that VT, and Delaware are similar in those respects, and I would consider those as well. The real estate prices in NH are just insanely LOW (compared to MA). A nice, quaint  farmhouse with a babbling brook, fruit trees, and a few acres can be had for under 150K. An identical property wher we live would start at 400K, but with no acreage because there isn't any. The rents in NH are cheap as well. Except for the Boston-commuter areas.   Great academics; good tech businesses for those in that field. A lot of plusses.... nev

Joey

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2002, 10:12:32 pm »

Nev-

Do you have any idea how well that Ballot Initiative to Abolish the state Income Tax will fare in MA?

I'm a LP junkie and I'm following that all the time...I hear there's a poll that has 37% of voters approving the elimination of it. And what is your position on it?

You said you might consider moving to N.H. because of the low tax rate. I hear Mass. residents flock to N.H. to take advantage of the no sales tax deal.

It's hard to imagine how stupid people can be to keep electing the big government, tax-and-spend Dems/Reps there.

Okay, I'm rambling.

I know Carla Howell probably doesn't have a chance at the state capitol this year, but I hope the income tax thing passes.

nevmoore

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2002, 07:19:52 am »

I don't think the income tax initiative will pass because it hasn't gotten enough coverage, not only to make people aware, but to have public debate. As is the argument from the *man in the street* is "well who would pay for our schools", etc.. Carla is just wonderful. What a strong and courageous person she is, probably not a realistic shot against the big boys like Romney, but only because she doesn't have the $$$ behind her to get public exposure and recognition. I will never figure out why people keep voting in who they do - my feeling is because people don't think they have any other choice, yet do want to be *responsible citizens* and vote. A good campaign slogan for someone like Carla would be "You DO have a choice!" . nev

percy, aka tntsmum

• FSP Participant
  • SEE YOU IN THE FREE STATE!!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2002, 05:09:54 am »

We live in MA, on Cape Cod, and I have been desperate to get out of this state for awhile. I have been independently researching New Hampshire (before I dicovered the FSP), and am determined to move there. It is, of course, beautiful, and has every kind of terrain except desert, within a geographically small area. There are abundant fresh water sources which are replentished by snowfall. There are no major urban areas. Low population. Travelling is easy and practical for both personal things, as well as FSP members getting together/meetings/lobbying.  Low crime rate. Good agriculture. The climate is not as extreme as some of the other proposed states. I agree that VT, and Delaware are similar in those respects, and I would consider those as well. The real estate prices in NH are just insanely LOW (compared to MA). A nice, quaint  farmhouse with a babbling brook, fruit trees, and a few acres can be had for under 150K. An identical property wher we live would start at 400K, but with no acreage because there isn't any. The rents in NH are cheap as well. Except for the Boston-commuter areas.   Great academics; good tech businesses for those in that field. A lot of plusses.... nev
If it makes any difference to anyone... Southern Maine and New Hampshire have FABULOUS summer stock seasons. If you enjoy creative, local theatre, you'll NH.

mdlowry

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2002, 01:15:47 am »

The submarine manufacturing business is in NH not Maine. Do you think that the feds would let any state put the only sub shipyard under control of a libertarian (small L) government???

Actually the subs are built in Groton, CT and Newport News, VA.

I spent too much time on them and am happy to be away from them now.  :)
PGP key ID:  0x1022C6DB
The Paternalistic State does give its people a sense of security.  But a snug, secure populace tends to resist movement-especially forward movement.
from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO

caseykhan

• semper fidelis
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2002, 12:59:25 pm »

You're right.  The Subs are built at a General Dynamics plant just up the stream from the CG Academy.  I don't know of any sub building up in NH.  If so, who builds them?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 132   Go Up

anything