Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where do we go?  (Read 1291 times)

Free_Bass_Player

Where do we go?
« on: October 10, 2015, 08:36:08 am »

We have decided to move to New Hampshire probably at the end of the school year. We spent a lot of effort here in FLA to get my son in a charter school. I know New Hampshire Schools are hands down better than any Florida school so anywhere he goes will most likely be an improvement.

My question is this. It doesn't matter where we move. We would prefer being close to the coast but it isn't necessary. Where is recommended to live in New Hampshire with a strong music scene for me with mom and pop places to eat? Has a great school system, strong job market, places to live, decent affordable neighborhoods, Places to readily obtain organic foods, raw milk, has a farmers market or free market and friendly people? You know Utopia. Where is the best Utopia in NH?

I realize that most people will share their opinion. That, I suppose is what I am looking for most.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Where do we go?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 08:55:20 am »

"Strong music scene" makes me think Portsmouth, Manchester, Peterborough... Those places are fairly statist, but the towns around them are more freedom-friendly. When I think lots of farmers' markets, strong job market, and great schools, I think Upper Valley, which is also statist near Dartmouth but more freedom-friendly (& cheaper) inland (esp. Grafton, Croydon, Haverhill, Wentworth). When I think affordable neighborhoods, I think Lakes Region, which is freedom-friendly. But all of these places have all of these things to some extent. Farmers' markets are pretty ubiquitous in NH, for instance. The hardest thing to find will be towns with a strong music scene. NH is just too small for that. But you can always drive to Boston/Portsmouth/Peterborough/Manchester/Worcester.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Free_Bass_Player

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 10:26:22 am »

Thanks. That's actually a big help. Knowing where I can play and find other musicians has always been a downfall of many cities. Most good musicians go to areas like Boston and other larger cities for the same reason. Maybe that is something I can do when we move up there; musicians exchange.

Thanks again
Corey

porcupineamy

• Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 12:31:45 pm »

I think it depends on your skill set and what sort of job you're looking for, as well as your budget. Seacoast and border towns from about Hollis east are going to be pricy. Many of the jobs are in Manchester, Nashua & Portsmouth. It's a good idea to rent for a bit to see where you end up spending your time.

You're welcome to PM me if you have questions on various areas. Good luck!
Amy Lowe
Porcupine Real Estate
PorcupineRealEstate.com
 *Link Removed*

Free_Bass_Player

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 07:24:02 pm »

Amy, I know when we moved back to Florida; actually our old home town, we weren't familiar any longer. Places that used to be safe are no longer safe and places that were dangerous are sometimes safe and some times not. Having current local insight would be so helpful.

My wife has an MBA in Business Management and HR but has practical in Finance in Higher Ed. Me I have a background of music and Audio Engineering. I have had some graphics experience in design and photoshop but anymore who doesn't. I am also getting a diploma in culinary management but I don't have a bachelors.

My son is 14 and would need a Middle School. Because Florida is so low on the schooling scores, we put him I a semi-private charter school here.

Because we are native Floridians we would like to be close to the water. We have been applying in Portsmouth, Manchester and Boston but neighborhood info would be awesome. We can go as much as $1400 I think to rent.

In Colorado, heating costs about $600 a month. We are aware NH has the same issues. We are planning on higher heating costs.

Thank you for any info you can pass along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freedomroad

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 09:17:26 pm »

We have decided to move to New Hampshire probably at the end of the school year. We spent a lot of effort here in FLA to get my son in a charter school. I know New Hampshire Schools are hands down better than any Florida school so anywhere he goes will most likely be an improvement.

Welcome!

My question is this. It doesn't matter where we move. We would prefer being close to the coast but it isn't necessary. Where is recommended to live in New Hampshire with a strong music scene for me with mom and pop places to eat?

The best music scene is in Boston. There are also decent scenes anywhere there are a lot of bars/clubs. Check out Manchester, Nashua/Lowell, Dover/Portsmouth, and Portland, ME. Dover/Portsmouth is about an hour from Manchester, Portland, and Boston. Manchester is about an hour from Portsmouth/Dover and Boston, and 30 minutes from Nashua/Lowell.

Mom and pop places are everywhere. The most chains are in the more populated areas, but there are even some non-chains in the populated areas.

Has a great school system,
The city of Manchester has the worst schools in NH. Even some of them are okay, especially the charter schools.

strong job market
NH and the two other Northern New England states have the three lowest unemployment rates in the Eastern United States. The best job markets in NH are the Lebanon/Hanover area and the Portsmouth/Dover area. The Concord, Manchester, and Rochester areas are also doing fantastic! Many people drive to Boston suburbs or even Boston for the 6 figure jobs if you want to live in a 500k house.

, places to live, decent affordable neighborhoods,
Everywhere is pretty decent other than the most affordable neighborhoods of the cities.

Places to readily obtain organic foods, raw milk, has a farmers market
Everywhere is great for this.

or free market and friendly people?
More free staters are in the greater Manchester area than anywhere else in NH. Free staters are least welcomed in Keene.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything