Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Off Grid Living, buying land plots.  (Read 1492 times)

TRU333

Off Grid Living, buying land plots.
« on: December 15, 2015, 08:16:03 pm »

Hello friends, I'm interested in moving soon and would like to live my dream of building a completely self sufficient home to leave my children completely off the Grid. I am an  Industrial process Electrician and survivalist. whom has the knowledge to easily and cheaply create a self sufficient (electricity, water, heat, food and food preservation) Home. Would it be legal to buy a plot of land and do this there free of statutes and restriction of my liberties to do so?

Very important question to me so any one w/ the knowledge plz let me know if you would be so kind, and also any experiences you have had in trying.

paperboy

Re: Off Grid Living, buying land plots.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 09:14:04 am »

In most cases, if you live in an organized town, you're going to need a permit to build and then get an occupancy permit to move in. We are currently building a home and it's a pain in the neck. I have already spent nearly $10,000 in permits, property taxes, real estate transfer taxes, perc tests and fees, etc.

You would be better off buying an existing home, and then converting it to off-grid. There are a ton of great properties to do this with.

I know in Maine, there are a several towns that are what they call unorganized townships. Towns so small, they don't have any form of town government. Even building there, you end up dealing with LURC. Land Use Regulation Committee. Which is the State out of Augusta.

If you want to live in a rural location, but want to still be accessible to civilization, I might recommend the towns of Wolfeboro, Tuftonboro and Moultonborough. These three towns border Lake Winnipesaukee and have some of the lowest tax rates in the state.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 01:17:32 pm »

You should talk to the Bardo Project folks in Croydon: http://bardoproject.com/
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

bigqueue

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 11:49:00 pm »

Hello friends, I'm interested in moving soon and would like to live my dream of building a completely self sufficient home to leave my children completely off the Grid. I am an  Industrial process Electrician and survivalist. whom has the knowledge to easily and cheaply create a self sufficient (electricity, water, heat, food and food preservation) Home. Would it be legal to buy a plot of land and do this there free of statutes and restriction of my liberties to do so?

Very important question to me so any one w/ the knowledge plz let me know if you would be so kind, and also any experiences you have had in trying.

I would say that many towns in NH will have what they consider rules for safety and to protect the environment....otherwise known as the town building codes. These include in many town some level of "zoning" that sets rules about the sorts of activities allowed on property.....but not all towns are equal in their love of zoning law and building codes........I understand that there are more than a few towns in NH that have NO zoning regulations....

For what it is worth, I found this document created be the state of NH that lists towns w/o Zoning laws.....I am not sure this would be of any help to you, but you might want to call the town hall in those towns and speak to someone there asking your specific questions to see what they say:

https://www.nh.gov/oep/resource-library/municipal/documents/towns-without-zoning.pdf

JLTW

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 10:54:26 am »

All these expenses in zoning and regulations. If I ever bought land I would only do so in BitCoin and go completely off-grid to reject property taxes.

This is not off-grid, this is sad. We need to reverse this trend of becoming so apathetic and docile towards government and enact civil disobedience.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 11:18:47 am »

Something to bear in mind is the fact that a lot of towns with zoning and building codes don't enforce them unless you endanger or annoy your neighbors.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

JLTW

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 09:50:36 pm »

^There's always a loophole in the details. I have experienced many a law or even community rule that is not enforced because it's better without it/not important.

Instinct2Bfree

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 08:16:47 pm »

Sounds like a good plan. I would suggest 2 things: 1st: Off grid living requires independence. Real independence works great along with anarchism.  Looking to play by every rule within the "system" and follow every "authority" will attract too much attention off grid.  2: Check out the unorganized townships in NW Maine. (if you like winters and remote wilderness) Check out my post in misc.: "attn wilderness homesteaders"  Thanks,    Instinct2Bfree

paperboy

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 06:56:57 pm »

Sounds like a good plan. I would suggest 2 things: 1st: Off grid living requires independence. Real independence works great along with anarchism.  Looking to play by every rule within the "system" and follow every "authority" will attract too much attention off grid.  2: Check out the unorganized townships in NW Maine. (if you like winters and remote wilderness) Check out my post in misc.: "attn wilderness homesteaders"  Thanks,    Instinct2Bfree

Don't move to Maine. It is the worst.
If you have a professional license in anything... make sure you can get a license in Maine before you move.
Poor decisions a the state and local level cost our family close to $500,000 over a several year period.
When you live in an unorganized township in Maine, you become subject to LURC. It's as bad as it sounds. Land Use Regulatory Committee... But don't take my word for it, see link below.

http://www.asmainegoes.com/content/lurc-another-state-run-problem-should-they-be-dismantled

Here's a great piece of property... MLS # 4621974
100 acres of lake and mountain views and low property taxes.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:10:45 pm by paperboy »

Instinct2Bfree

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 07:46:25 pm »

I'll agree that LURC (land use regulation committee) in Maine shouldn't exist. I am an Anarchist. People should be able to do what they desire on their own property without permits,guidelines, fees, etc. BUT, there's this big problematic GANG out there known as "government". They feel like they have rights that other people don't have. The fact is that they do NOT. The more hoops you jump through in the name of the state the more hoops you legitimize. If you really want to be free. You WILL be free.  This is about living off grid man ! You are a mountain man up there whether you want to be or not.  Why would you need any "license" to do anything up there in the woods. Screw any "license" for anything. Your opportunity to be independent and self sufficient absolutely SHINES in the Maine wilds. Unorganized Maine is WAY more free than ANY organized town in NH. Another thing to remember, you ARE completely FREE. You are only a slave IF you believe you have a master.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything