Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: More great news about NH!  (Read 11652 times)

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
Re: More great news about NH!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 11:55:48 am »

I already said this in another thread, but Bible-minded is just not appealing to me, regardless of whether it has any impact on freedoms at all. Also, considering how common atheism and agnosticism are in the liberty movement, I expect a lot of people to share my appreciation of NH for that fact. This subtopic is "NH Information and Discussion". We can talk about whatever traits of NH just to educate people. I could be talking about all the fun outdoorsy things available and it would be on topic. And it's helpful to point out generally-appealing things whether they're liberty-related or not because we're trying to convince people this is a great place to live.

I'm well aware that some folks aren't going to find this fact appealing. We can't please everyone. Ultimately, we had to pick just one state with all it's pluses and minuses and do our best. To those folks, at least you know what you're getting into. You're welcome.

All that said, it seems absurd to pretend there is not going to be a causal relation with regard to particular freedoms, e.g. blue laws, state subsidizing of religious organizations, legislation of morality in areas like sodomy laws, the drug war, abortion, etc. There is evidence of this all over the country. You have to have incredible tunnel vision not to see it.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 12:16:41 pm »

I don't know if Bible-minded would be a problem; that is if people didn't select certain passages to force their will on others.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 12:46:21 pm »

I don't know if Bible-minded would be a problem; that is if people didn't select certain passages to force their will on others.

Unfortunately, it seems that those who describe themselves as most "Bible-minded" seem to know the least about the book.  I've come to the conclusion that most Bible-thumping is actually intended to smear the ink so that they never have to read the bits which contradict what they want to claim.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 04:21:04 pm »

Christians who are active on this forum are a lot more likely to be of the libertarian variety and they realize the need separation of church and state. They don't want to force their views on others. Unfortunately, they somehow seem to forget that far many more Christians are not libertarians.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 08:50:17 am »

Unfortunately, they somehow seem to forget that far many more Christians are not libertarians.

Christian Parents Call Cops Over Free Book Giveaway, Cops Inform Them That’s Not Illegal

After a controversial book was banned from a Idaho high school’s reading list, a Junior at the school organized a free giveaway of the book at a nearby park so that students could still read it. Christan parents – who claim the book is anti-Christian – were enraged and tried to get the police to stop the event. Confusion and hilarity ensued.

Argentum

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 09:43:20 am »

Christians who are active on this forum are a lot more likely to be of the libertarian variety and they realize the need separation of church and state. They don't want to force their views on others. Unfortunately, they somehow seem to forget that far many more Christians are not libertarians.

Far many for non-Christians are not libertarians.  As a non-Christian and a non-atheist, I maintain that a true Christian must be a libertarian.  But an atheist can be anything.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2014, 02:13:32 pm »

Far many for non-Christians are not libertarians.  As a non-Christian and a non-atheist, I maintain that a true Christian must be a libertarian.  But an atheist can be anything.
Lots of things stated to come from Christ would point in that direction...
But one could believe in the philosophy of Christ and still not believe in a god.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2014, 02:16:20 pm »

Unfortunately, they somehow seem to forget that far many more Christians are not libertarians.

Christian Parents Call Cops Over Free Book Giveaway, Cops Inform Them That’s Not Illegal

After a controversial book was banned from a Idaho high school’s reading list, a Junior at the school organized a free giveaway of the book at a nearby park so that students could still read it. Christan parents – who claim the book is anti-Christian – were enraged and tried to get the police to stop the event. Confusion and hilarity ensued.
But we all know what these Freedom of Religion-supporting Christian parents will be supporting in the next legislative session  ;)

TJames

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2014, 01:37:38 am »

The luciferian NWO doesn't really exist. Our brains evolved to recognizing patterns and when we look at authority we see conspiracy, but as we move up we notice nothing is under control. All the powers cancel each other out.

I've figured out long ago that statism and Western Religion are almost the same because they come from the same child like belief in authority, that libertarianism and atheism are very similar. As people figured out religion doesn't make morality they turned to some social contract and invested collective authority into the state, and then people blamed atheism. The common people in both systems don't have reason powers. They only need to hear 'because I said'.
Bible minded cultures are not exactly supportive of property rights. To them god owns everything and everyone so explaining the concepts of rights and morality is like talking to children. Christians, and the cultures that form around them, tend to be worse at philosophy technology and science, and it seems it is because of their submission to authoritarianism that also allows statism to grow and feed on whatever prosperity they have. Also Christianity is very authoritarian to the children who grow up in it.... Circumcision for starters.
An atheist culture can figure out that the imposed authority might be wrong, that no god like authority put it in power or even that a social contract god can change its mind. Atheism is not the problem. It is the religion of statism that is getting in the way of progress and freedom as well as other religions.

Christianity is in decline and any rare philosophies view within it will vanish. I personally see New England as an opportunity to hybrid a libertarian/anarchist/objectavist form of secular humanism. Even with a small core I think such a well formed atheist memeplex would be very effective at dislodging bad arguments from multiple angles and neuter several other old large memeplexes before feasting on them. If we delay forming libertarian atheism then atheism may remodified like Confucianism and Ubuntu to spread statism wherever they go.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 03:11:32 pm »

The luciferian NWO doesn't really exist. Our brains evolved to recognizing patterns and when we look at authority we see conspiracy, but as we move up we notice nothing is under control. All the powers cancel each other out.

I've figured out long ago that statism and Western Religion are almost the same because they come from the same child like belief in authority, that libertarianism and atheism are very similar. As people figured out religion doesn't make morality they turned to some social contract and invested collective authority into the state, and then people blamed atheism. The common people in both systems don't have reason powers. They only need to hear 'because I said'.
Bible minded cultures are not exactly supportive of property rights. To them god owns everything and everyone so explaining the concepts of rights and morality is like talking to children. Christians, and the cultures that form around them, tend to be worse at philosophy technology and science, and it seems it is because of their submission to authoritarianism that also allows statism to grow and feed on whatever prosperity they have. Also Christianity is very authoritarian to the children who grow up in it.... Circumcision for starters.
An atheist culture can figure out that the imposed authority might be wrong, that no god like authority put it in power or even that a social contract god can change its mind. Atheism is not the problem. It is the religion of statism that is getting in the way of progress and freedom as well as other religions.

Christianity is in decline and any rare philosophies view within it will vanish. I personally see New England as an opportunity to hybrid a libertarian/anarchist/objectavist form of secular humanism. Even with a small core I think such a well formed atheist memeplex would be very effective at dislodging bad arguments from multiple angles and neuter several other old large memeplexes before feasting on them. If we delay forming libertarian atheism then atheism may remodified like Confucianism and Ubuntu to spread statism wherever they go.
Christianity doesn't require circumcision.

TJames

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 02:05:11 pm »

Contrary to what you have been taught Christianity can be anything from Mormonism to almost Judaism. In the second century these brands debated about whether their were 20 gods or just 1. You don't need circumcision to be christian but at the core of all these brands there is an authority that demands faith and obedience or else you are nothing. If an Christian with an intact penis reads the Bible he will admire Abraham's faith because he was trained to. An atheist or a libertarian raised with peaceful parenting would see Abraham as insane and god and the patriarchs as psychologically and physically abusive.

Christianity and Statism are the best examples of sheep religion and fanaticism. Circumcision is a good example of what religion can do because Christians brought it to America. Other forms of authoritarianism and child abuse also perpetuated well here because Christianity trained us to think that way.

So do you believe you belong to god or do you believe Abraham was pretty much evil?

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2014, 03:03:22 pm »

You stated 'Also Christianity is very authoritarian to the children who grow up in it.... Circumcision for starters.' And I stated that Christianity does not require circumcision.
The fact that some sects have a belief does not make it founded by Christ - which is what Christianity must be.

TJames

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2014, 03:50:56 pm »

Christianity is just European paganism with a hint of misinterpreted Judaism. Jesus really just restated things everyone else said, if even that. All the good stuff exist in Eastern Philosophy and Secular Humanism without bringing in any guilt generating child abusing obey or else factor. Like humanist we need to make philosophy our own and not attach it to an older abusive idea.
I also have plenty of stuff for that Jesus guy too. The entire religion is built on the virtue of sacrifice as well as a superstition that there this icky ghost or gene called sin and we deserve to be punished for it even though we may have done nothing wrong.

Not all Muslims are terrorist but the Koran has a way of producing terrorist.

The good in Christianity is not unique and it brings along some bad that maybe only outsiders will see.

Sam Adams

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2014, 03:59:26 pm »

You stated 'Also Christianity is very authoritarian to the children who grow up in it.... Circumcision for starters.' And I stated that Christianity does not require circumcision.
The fact that some sects have a belief does not make it founded by Christ - which is what Christianity must be.

His mother was very authoritarian, and he is still rebelling. Blame one and all, home-schooling and all, even religion.  Liberals have their own cult, religion. They praise the state and mother earth as their God, social change and fundamentally transforming the land. Cool the Earth by the big hand of the gov, recycle, solar that doesn,t work, tax energy, only leave a small foot-print on mother earth, eco, save the planet for animals, less children less population, C02 lie, hockey stick hoax, gov. is the protector of all.  They don,t have room for a real religion, they are hung up on the fascist Cult, and don,t even know it. You can listen to them and hear it in their heart and words, mimicking someone else phrases. Talking without using any effort.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2014, 05:34:38 am »

Christianity is just European paganism with a hint of misinterpreted Judaism. Jesus really just restated things everyone else said, if even that. All the good stuff exist in Eastern Philosophy and Secular Humanism without bringing in any guilt generating child abusing obey or else factor. Like humanist we need to make philosophy our own and not attach it to an older abusive idea.
I also have plenty of stuff for that Jesus guy too. The entire religion is built on the virtue of sacrifice as well as a superstition that there this icky ghost or gene called sin and we deserve to be punished for it even though we may have done nothing wrong.

Not all Muslims are terrorist but the Koran has a way of producing terrorist.

The good in Christianity is not unique and it brings along some bad that maybe only outsiders will see.
Not quite. Christian interpretation is... but only what can be directly attributed to Christ is Christianity; hence why all the different sects.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

anything