Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Foreigner looking to move and start an IT service business in NH  (Read 6579 times)

pollonaisg

Greetings,

I have been reading up on NH for quit some time, and I've had a desire to live in the US and particularly NH, for all the obvious reasons, those being.. well....America! Now having said this, I've been doing my research on Visas. I can legally register start a business, and later on apply for a E2 visa as an investor. There are conditions that apply for that visa, but I figured, what the heck, I'll give it a shot. Naturally if I could find legal employment that'll be great, then again, I would love to be a job creator, instead.

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for this. Websites, legal advice, tax info, and all that jazz. Info on the local IT environment and demand for services would also be awesome if possible. I figured I'll start here: http://www.nheconomy.com/business-services/starting-a-business-in-nh.aspx but if anyone has anything else to add that'll be great!

Thanks.

anon37268573

• First1000
Re: Foreigner looking to move and start an IT service business in NH
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:56:13 am »

Greetings,

I have been reading up on NH for quit some time, and I've had a desire to live in the US and particularly NH, for all the obvious reasons, those being.. well....America! Now having said this, I've been doing my research on Visas. I can legally register start a business, and later on apply for a E2 visa as an investor. There are conditions that apply for that visa, but I figured, what the heck, I'll give it a shot. Naturally if I could find legal employment that'll be great, then again, I would love to be a job creator, instead.

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for this. Websites, legal advice, tax info, and all that jazz. Info on the local IT environment and demand for services would also be awesome if possible. I figured I'll start here: http://www.nheconomy.com/business-services/starting-a-business-in-nh.aspx but if anyone has anything else to add that'll be great!

Thanks.

Check out http://news.ycombinator.com/ there are frequent discussions about doing exactly this.

You can use http://www.hnsearch.com/search to find the old discussions. Hacker News is also a great way to connect with and learn from others that have done this. There are a number of Hacker News members in New Hampshire and the greater Boston area.

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:58:32 pm »

Greetings,

Thanks.

E2 would not apply, its for an investment you would be making not a business you have built. For E2 you need to demonstrate you will be making a significant investment that will benefit the US, they generally look for you to immediately hire employees and the amount you invest should be appropriate for the industry you are investing in. Its generally considered the minimum investment for this to be around $200k but for technology would likely be higher.

If you don't have this capital and you are not Canadian your best best right now is a H1B or an L1 visa. There is a massive bipartisan immigration reform bill working its way through the federal legislature right now which is going to massively improve immigration (such that you would be able to self-sponsor based on points) but that's about 6 years away from coming in to force.

If you are in a position to come here for a vacation in a week and a half come to Porcfest, we are having an international participants meetup where those of us who have made the move from out of country discuss how we did it.

pellyadolfo

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 02:17:46 pm »

I have same intends that pollonaisg.

Can someone please enumerate arguments about why NH politics and rules are more freely oriented that in any other US state?

Assuming that I am also a (right wing) libertarian and I want to set my startup up in a free oriented atmosphere why should I choose NH?

Any references to articles containing comparisons?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:19:39 pm by pellyadolfo »

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 05:35:23 pm »

I have same intends that pollonaisg.

Can someone please enumerate arguments about why NH politics and rules are more freely oriented that in any other US state?

Assuming that I am also a (right wing) libertarian and I want to set my startup up in a free oriented atmosphere why should I choose NH?

Any references to articles containing comparisons?

Some of your questions will be answered here: http://freestateproject.org/about/101-reasons-move-new-hampshire
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything