Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Columbia Law Grad/Porcupreneur  (Read 4814 times)

tbj2102

Columbia Law Grad/Porcupreneur
« on: March 21, 2013, 01:34:32 pm »

I wanted to put myself out there and see what opportunities there might be.  I have been pledged to the FSP for at least 7 years now, and I think the time has finally come for me to make the move.  I am relatively young (just admitted to the OK bar last year) but have had some serious Taggart/Rearden experiences both in my professional and personal life that have led me to reevaluate at a fundamental level whether my brainpower is overall helping or hurting the world.  In other words, I on the brink of saying, "To hell with it all.  I'm moving to New Hampshire!"

My academic background is a bit refined and specific: economics, finance, and private international law (cross-border deals, etc.).  However, I'm an outstanding generalist and quick and independent learner.  I got a perfect score on the LSAT through self-study and entered college as a junior, also largely through self-study.  I'm going on two years of long-term severe underemployment due mostly to the financial collapse destroying vritually all work opportunities in the industries I had prepared myself for educationally.  (Don't get me started on the topic of capital adequacy treaties and fractional reserve banking -- I might start bleeding from the ears.)

I originally intended to go into law school thinking that it would be a stepping stone to more MBA-oriented work, and my transcripts reflect this.  I took hardcore business-oriented courses like "Corporate Finance," "Advanced Contract Negotiation," and a "Taxation of Financial Instruments" rather than "Law and Literature," "Family Law," or "Advanced Constitutional Law."  In other words, I just wanted to be a very well-educated business person.  Trying to carve my own path has lead me more towards being a crazy bum on the street than a respectable member of society, and I'm tired of it.  If I can't find a respectable society that values a high level of intelligence, education, and ambition, then maybe I am better off living the life of an Atlas Shrugged-type striker.

LiberatedFromCT

Re: Columbia Law Grad/Porcupreneur
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 10:27:34 pm »

I have to say if you have a Columbia degree and a perfect LSAT, that's pretty damn impressive.

Sorry you've been impacted so harshly by the economy.  If you were more interested in business-type work and can't find anything in law that suits your ethical principles, I would suggest perhaps living in NH but trying to apply to the global management consulting firms (Bain, BCG, Deloitte, etc.) that have HQs in Boston as you have the educational background for it - they specifically look for Ivy types and actually take former lawyers, doctors, etc.  Alternatively you could perhaps start your own gig?

Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything