Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: More and other criteria to weigh states with  (Read 121230 times)

Solitar

More and other criteria to weigh states with
« on: August 16, 2002, 01:57:20 am »

Post withdrawn.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2003, 04:10:00 pm by Joe, aka, Solitar »

Mega Joule

Re:Other Criteria
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2002, 05:32:57 am »

Part of what makes community life enjoyable is an intelligent, educated populace and electorate.

One indicator of this is percentage of population 18 y.o. or older with Bachelor's Degree or higher.
(1990 census data since educational attainment data for 2000 is not posted yet at Census site)

Interesting data.  I wonder how our membership (once we reach 20,000 and move) will impact those percentages.

Meg
"One essential of a free government is that it rest wholly on voluntary support.  And one certain proof that a goverment is not free, is that it coerces more or less persons to support it, against their will."  (Lysander Spooner, 1867)

stpeter

• If you want justice, work for freedom.
    • stpeter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2002, 09:18:48 pm »

Hey Solitar, you just keep coming up with fascinating numbers! I'm not sure I totally believe the Census figures (e.g., I have a hard time that 250k people will move to Alaska over the next 23 years -- that's 10k people a year), but they're better than nothing. I must say I'd be most comfortable with a state that will still be under 1 million people in 20 years or so, which according to your list would leave Alaska, Delaware, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, and Wyoming (with Montana almost making the cut). Alaska continues to look better and better to me, but I think the short list really needs to take this kind of demographic information into account, so thanks for digging it up!

di540

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2002, 02:19:00 pm »

One should expect Nevada & New Mexico to be ranked last, since they have higher percentages of non-citizens. Alaska might have a high degree of transients, despite being citizens.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2002, 10:42:57 pm »

NV, NM, and WV are on the verge of being culled.  Sure, you can send me the file.  Is there a link to this info? If so we could put that on the website.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
Re:More and other criteria to weigh states with
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2002, 09:36:25 am »

Eh, Perot fans are not necessarily our target group.  Most of the ones I've met were either mushy centrists or wacko nativists.

Regarding driving age: it's not surprising that more urban states would restrict teenager driving more.  Letting young teenagers drive in cities can be dangerous unless you have some pretty strong requirements for their getting a license.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

mdw

• FSP Participant
  • All men are born free; only some men ever know it.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2002, 11:25:48 pm »

Solitar-

Interesting numbers, especially the weighted independent voter tallies.

Yet another factor which could be considered when choosing a state is tolerance. Tolerance is the ability to live with other people who hold a different viewpoint without attempting to legislate conformity to your viewpoint. Some objective measures which could be used to gauge tolerance are:
-past state laws regarding abortion, i.e., was the state pro-choice before Roe v. Wade, and are there any noxious state-level laws currently
-zoning and land planning, which you have already started to cover
-blue laws, including laws regarding purchasing alcohol on Sundays and other religiously motivated statutes
-anti-smoking laws

I view tolerance as being absolutely critical to the establishment of a truely free society. Most folks like the idea of some freedoms, but freak out when their neighbors exercise their freedoms to the fullest extentent possible.

Regards,
mdw
"It is therefore the inhabitants themselves who permit, or, rather, bring about, their own subjection, since by ceasing to submit they would put an end to their servitude."
--Éttiene de la Boétie, 1552

Mega Joule

Re:Other Criteria - Fireworks laws
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2002, 01:53:54 pm »

Quote from: Solitar

Family safe and sane fireworks. Sparklers (sparklers are not permitted in California), fountains, trick noisemakers, toy smoke devices and snakes.

This is not accurate.  I live in CA and while it is true that many areas here prohibit fireworks it is not universal.  It is regulated at the city or county level.  For example I live in a northern county in which the city I live in bans all fireworks, but I can drive 20 minutes down the road (in the same county) and purchase and use fireworks.  Generally fireworks here are banned in extreme fire hazard areas, which may seem unduly restrictive, but perhaps not when one considers the extremely high costs of fire supression in these areas.

A minor, nit-picky point here, sorry.

Meg
"One essential of a free government is that it rest wholly on voluntary support.  And one certain proof that a goverment is not free, is that it coerces more or less persons to support it, against their will."  (Lysander Spooner, 1867)

callydog

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2002, 10:39:29 am »

There is a possibility that the states present constitution might give us further insight into the moods of the electorate.  

my idea is to have us read each states constitution and evaluate how close it is to our beliefs.  check out changes, say over the last ten years and then find out the percentage of votes that would tend to agree with us.

i loved an article in the Manchester  NH about the state had to seperate a highway because the township refused them from moving it.  right or wrong, it is a touch of freedom.

move anywhere
John

callydog

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2002, 10:52:16 am »

i apologise the the incorrect sentence.  the article about a highway in New England has about a large rock that blocked the highway.

Doc

• FSP Participant
  • A Demonstrated Aptitude for Reasonable Mayhem
    • Deuce of Clubs
Re:Motor Vehicle Safety or Emissions Inspection
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2002, 01:03:37 pm »

EMISSIONS TESTING
Depending on your libertarian view of polluting vehicles vs. personal responsibility vs. the commons these may be good or bad. I'm guessing that mandatory testing may not be part of a "Free State".

Once industrial hemp is decriminalized, the question of auto pollution in the free state might become moot.  ;)
http://www.deuceofclubs.com -- A Demonstrated Aptitude for Reasonable Mayhem

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2002, 11:55:10 pm »

West Virginia, New Mexico, and Nevada were culled a few days ago. :)  Thanks for this interesting data.  So the West has lots of empty rural areas, but it also has a more urbanized population.

wilaygarn

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2002, 11:41:52 am »

If there are any land surveyors besides myself interested in the FSP It might be good for us to compare the states, as to their requirements for licensure and required standards of practice.

I was shown a web site where the states can be compared, which is: http://www.lsrp.com/ .

I have not studied them myself yet, but it might be worth something. In my own case I might have to give up my practice because the chosen state might not reconise my Virginia license.

I do think that the government has no business requiring a person to obtain its permission to be self employed, but that is a matter that would have to be addressed later.

Charley

• Where's the country I grew up in?
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2002, 06:51:56 pm »

If we end up in a very sparsely populated state perhaps we had better cultivate a few private pilots as activists.
Charley in WC

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2002, 12:26:26 pm »

Jan Helfeld thinks this is an argument for Delaware.  It might well be, but a friend of mine who's also a political scientist thinks that a more crucial consideration is proximity to major media outlets.  Because the Washington Post and the Boston Globe cover Delaware and New England respectively, he thinks we need to go out West where we won't receive major unfavorable media attention.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 15   Go Up