Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie: was Alaska ever considered  (Read 31693 times)

alphamatticgm

• I'm a llama!
Newbie: was Alaska ever considered
« on: January 04, 2004, 03:05:46 pm »

Hi Friends,

Second time here to the FSP website and I love this idea and it's potential for those of us who want to live free. One question I had was, Was Alaska ever considered as a choice for the Free State? We have only 1/2 the population of N.H., no state income tax, an abundance of natural resources and a good body of libertarian minded folk.

I know it's too late now, just wondering if it was ever considered.

Also, any idea how many FSP'ers have already moved to the state of New Hampshire?

Thanx,

AlphamatticGM  

alphamatticgm

• I'm a llama!
Was Alaska ever considered as a choice for the Free State?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 03:06:46 pm »

Hi Friends,

Second time here to the FSP website and I love this idea and it's potential for those of us who want to live free. One question I had was, Was Alaska ever considered as a choice for the Free State? We have only 1/2 the population of N.H., no state income tax, an abundance of natural resources and a good body of libertarian minded folk.

I know it's too late now, just wondering if it was ever considered.

Also, any idea how many FSP'ers have already moved to the state of New Hampshire?

Thanx,

AlphamatticGM  

Kyle

• I'm a llama!
Re:Was Alaska ever considered as a choice for the Free State?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 03:13:12 pm »

Yes, it was considered.  One thing against it was the remoteness.  Its less likely to garner 20000 folks to move there.

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
Re:Was Alaska ever considered as a choice for the Free State?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 03:13:47 pm »

Yes on the Alaska question.

State Reports

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
Re:Newbie: was Alaska ever considered
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 07:20:03 pm »

Yes, AK was considered.  I think the toughest part was actually convincing people to move there.

I basically got a "no way in hell" from my wife, and I think others got the same reaction.  I think I *could* have convinced her to move to a western state, but that would have taken some time.  I opted out of them, and the plan was that if one of them won, we'd go visit the state and discuss it later.  (I hope she never sees this  ;) )

Any state in the northeast that was considered (VT, NH, ME, DE) was easy since we were already considering moving to Delaware even before FSP.

My wife grew up in communist Poland, and even the People's Republic of New Jersey is a capitalist utopia compared to eastern Europe.  Even though she's a libertarian at heart, I don't think she's as bothered by the statists as I am.  Certainly not bothered enough to move to Alaska.

That's my story, but I'm guessing others who are married had similar problems with AK.

Chris

alphamatticgm

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 07:25:13 pm »

But Alaska is the most beautiful, wonderful, greatest place in the entire world to live!

How could anyone not want to live here. It hardly even gets cold in winter ;D

alphamatticgm

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 10:19:15 pm »

Alaska was one of my top picks, right behind NH. Heard a lot of "no way in hell" statements by member spouses. Apparently the ladies are not aware of the number of indoor malls with high powered heating in Anchorage... ;)
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 09:58:58 am »

Alaska did end up 5th in the voting (out of 10), which was higher than I expected:

http://freestateproject.org/archives/state_vote/FSP-ECL-CertifyWhitePaper.htm
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

SBottari

• FSP Participant
Re: Alaska
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 12:30:10 am »

I voted Alaska fairly low in the vote, all the 10 states that were voted on had appeal and I wasn't torn toward west or east.  I liked NH best because it had the most libertarian-minded people there already (no income tax also, current bill preventing it for the long term, and even a bill questioning the Fed income tax!) - Alaska has a lot of Fed government fingers in the pot (oh, our Precious oil!! *gollum gollum*) and it's just far from everything.  If it was picked; I would've went happily but I'm glad the decision was NH. :)
"The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly, flat, and dishwatery utterances of the man who has to be pointed out to intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States."
   -The Chicago Times review of After Lincoln's Gettysburg Address
Pages: [1]   Go Up