Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Considering a move to New Hampshire! Need some advice.  (Read 174 times)

Valubi-Martin

Considering a move to New Hampshire! Need some advice.
« on: March 09, 2017, 06:27:08 am »

Hello there Free State Project,

What an amazing project, you have got going over there.

My name is Martin, and I am considering a possible move from Denmark to New Hampshire. I currently live in the nothern part of Denmark, but I am not particularly happy about living in Denmark for various reasons. A 50% tax rate is definitly a determining factor as well as the uncountable regulations.

About me:

I'm 22 years old, I am currently studying a bachelor in business administration, and I have 2 jobs. I work as a junior associate at a consulting firm and I also run my own consulting business. I work with business Intelligence (it is IT stuff, in case the reader isn't aware) in both business. So my capacity lies within IT solutions and economics (accounting and finance to be specific). I enjoy sports, and I am a big fan of both football, soccer, and athletics. Most importantly, though, I value libertarian virtues, and I really hope to meet likeminded people in New Hampshire.

What I want to achieve by writing:

I would like to know more about job and housing opportunities. I have already done research on both topics, but, as you could possibly imagine, moving across the pond is big decision for me (and my girlfriend whom will acompany me). I have already been looking at different real estate websites for apartments with approximately 1000$ in rent. I hope to find something a little cheaper than that. Since I run my own company it might not be necessary to find a part-time job but I would still like to know in case my own company does not turn out the way I want to.

This is a big deal for me, and I hope to get some activity on this post, and have productive conversations. I am open to provide relevant information about my girlfriend and I if need be.

Best regards
Martin Billund Mouridsen
martin@valubi.dk

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Considering a move to New Hampshire! Need some advice.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:15:35 am »

There's a lot of BI work available in the Boston market and some of southern N.H. Even if you have your own company, proximity to potential clients might be a good thing.

The rent is too damn high in New Hampshire. That's just how it is, unless you live well out in a rural area. (Salaries tend to be higher too, though.) If you look at the New Hampshire Information board here, there is a sticky post with a link to my town-by-town spreadsheet. It has data on house prices and rents, as well as lots of other information, including an indicator of zoning stringency, election results, etc.

I'd recommend coming to visit first and then deciding where you want to land after meeting some people and seeing a bit of the state. PorcFest is a great opportunity to do so! www.porcfest.com A couple years ago, I met a Danish guy there, can't remember his name now though.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Valubi-Martin

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 10:19:06 am »

That sounds awesome, and thank you for writing! Will look into southern part of N.H.

Sad about the rent, but I have seen videos from porcFest, where people claim, that you can find something "cheaper" on craigslit. Do you know if that counts for concorde or manchester or something even more south?

I will visit porcfest either this year, or next year. I'm looking so much forward to it. Do you participate in Porcfest as well?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 01:20:54 pm »

Manchester is reasonably affordable. You could find a one-bedroom or studio apartment in Manchester for less than $1000. Concord is more expensive, and so are the Manchester suburbs. Nashua is somewhere between Manchester and Concord in affordability. Bear in mind that U.S. dwellings typically offer more space than European ones. Craigslist has many listings, but some of them are scams, especially ones that seem much more affordable than the going market rate.

I will be at PorcFest this year, and my wife is running the kids' programs this year. Should be a lot of fun!
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up