Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Initial stages of house-hunting  (Read 342 times)

The Mountain

Initial stages of house-hunting
« on: January 24, 2017, 11:23:36 am »

Hey, freestaters. I'm going to be landing up in NH in a couple of weeks. I thought I'd post up here now so I can get the house-hunting process started. I'm initially going to be staying in some apartment, but the plan is to buy a permanent place as soon as is feasible. So I wanted to put something up to try to start the networking process so I can get as many resources as possible involved in finding the property I'm looking for:

Must be in the southern tier of the state. I need to be within feasible commuting distance of (ugh) Boston. I can probably go as far west as Jaffrey NH, up to Concord, east to Epping. I am looking for a ~10-acre small farm, maybe one that started bigger but has been pared down over the years. It must NOT be in conservation status; I plan to be harvesting my own firewood, as well as clearing at least some land if there aren't already large meadows opened up. I will be keeping livestock, mostly chickens/rabbits/goats, but possibly at least one cow and one horse as well. I'll be putting in a pretty good-sized veggie garden and will want space to start an orchard. The house itself can be either a good-sized (4+ bedroom) farmhouse, or a smaller 1-2 bedroom house that can be "extensively renovated". I'm not looking specifically for a period-correct colonial or whatever. I'd prefer that the property be an actual farm (or that it was at one time), and I'd prefer that the house not be some modern (and therefore cheap) structure. Circa-1880-to-1940 is probably the sweet spot. The house has to be in livable condition (VA loan), but does not have to be BH&G material. It should have at least one barn that is usable or can be made usable without total reconstruction.

I'll be reaching out to some "porcupine realtors" once i get up there as well, but I figured I'd put this here too just in case someone here knows of a property like this that is available or might become available soon. Thanks, folks.

FastFaller

Re: Initial stages of house-hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 12:23:26 am »

I know of a place in Hopkinton, but the property taxes alone are about $27k.

What sort of budget are you look at?
A well-crafted pepperoni pizza, being necessary to the preservation of a diverse menu, the right of the people to keep and cook tomatoes, shall not be infringed.”  I would ask you to try to argue that this statement says that only pepperoni pizzas can keep and cook tomatoes, and only well-crafted ones at that.

FastFaller

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 12:35:02 am »

http://www.beangroup.com/homes/225_McCurdy_Road_New_Boston/NH/03070/2134609373/index.html?cnt=3

This is an old house, got a barn and some property..... New Boston has a cute little village too.
A well-crafted pepperoni pizza, being necessary to the preservation of a diverse menu, the right of the people to keep and cook tomatoes, shall not be infringed.”  I would ask you to try to argue that this statement says that only pepperoni pizzas can keep and cook tomatoes, and only well-crafted ones at that.

The Mountain

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 10:32:13 pm »

http://www.beangroup.com/homes/225_McCurdy_Road_New_Boston/NH/03070/2134609373/index.html?cnt=3

This is an old house, got a barn and some property..... New Boston has a cute little village too.
Thanks. I've seen that one online already, and it's kind of close to the type of property I'm looking for. My budget is probably up to about $250k.

Levi

• Realtor®. Photographer.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 10:24:34 pm »

Are you visiting in a few weeks?  Or moving?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything