Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camping on public land in NH?  (Read 638 times)

One Sock

Camping on public land in NH?
« on: January 09, 2017, 03:10:27 pm »

I'm considering moving to NH in the next few months. I would want to camp out and avoid paying rent until I can find a job. I'm used to western states where there is plenty of public BLM or Forest Service land where a person can camp out, with no fees and no crowds, and when the 14 day limit is up just move to another area. Is there anything like that in NH?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Camping on public land in NH?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 07:52:30 pm »

People do it. The city of Lebanon recently passed an ordinance banning camping on city property, because "homeless" people were doing it. There's the White Mountain National Forest with hundreds of thousands of acres of wilderness. Just come prepared for the weather, and respect Leave No Trace principles.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 09:42:43 pm »

You can camp anywhere unless it's posted, or someone in control of the property tells you that you can't.

There are some rules about camping within x feet of a trail or roadway, no building of fire rings, etc.

One Sock

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 01:34:10 pm »

Do the White Mountains have plenty of unpaved forest roads where you can find secluded camping spots? I've never been to the northeast before, so I don't really know what it's like there. I'm just used to having lots of room out west to get away from campgrounds and not have anyone else in sight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up