Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diversity In New Hampshire?  (Read 1321 times)

UselessCortex

Diversity In New Hampshire?
« on: July 17, 2016, 10:05:02 pm »

Hello,

In reading the "101 reasons to move to NH " segment which is filled with many ideals I value. One vision I did not see expressed or encouraged, is to attract minorities to join FSP. Is that going to be integrated into the objective, or is it there and I just don't see it? After all, NH is predominantly white.

Thanks,
UC

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Diversity In New Hampshire?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 07:21:37 am »

I think the FSP values diversity, though not at the expense of individuality - as libertarians, we don't like to collectivize based on any characteristic. We're not as diverse as America, but I'd say we're certainly less white than the existing residents of New Hampshire!
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

trevorparscal

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 09:14:25 am »

Great response Jason.

This is also an interesting article that suggest that self-identified libertarians are actually very similar to the diversity of America in general.

http://www.cato.org/blog/libertarians-are-more-racially-diverse-people-realize

- Trevor

Kamekazi Seagull

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 04:24:40 pm »

Fun fact, many porcs have moved from diverse, metropolitan locales such as San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York and were minorities themselves. Attracting non-white movers is not an objective, nor is there anything inherently wrong with NH being predominantly white. I've found that the homogeneity of the state is conducive to a greater sense of community.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 04:29:43 pm by Kamekazi Seagull »

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 05:52:56 pm »

Despite being something of a diversity buff, I like to look at historical precedent when it comes to the fate of minorities in somewhat homogeneous small states with an independent bent.  Slovenia and Estonia pop to mind as places which fared pretty well during collapses.  They're more or less where I would have wanted to be in the unstable 90s if I were a Serb in the first case or a Russian in the second.   I think Russians move TO Estonia so they can make more money.  But the almost monoethnic status of these little countries - since it occurred via natural movements and inertia rather than bloodshed...may have something to do with their relatively happy status as newly independent nations.  It removes ethnic conflict from the table somewhat.

NH is much the same, and though it might be more fun to have more diversity here... perhaps that homogeneous characteristic will be helpful when the spit hits the fan and ethnic tensions flare around the continent.  Helpful not just for the majority but for the minorities who we welcome - and should continue to welcome - here.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:04:48 pm by RidleyReport »
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

EngulfandDevour

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 10:05:14 am »

Well said, Jason.  One societal poison I hope we don't carry with us to NH is race baiting and separation of individuals into the noble or ignoble based on their race.  We have a chance here to create a society that is truely post racial with people united by a unique set of values and beliefs.  The idea of looking to include more people specifically due to the color of their skin runs contrary to our mutually shared vision of the rights and primacy of the individual and not any "special ability" on which their race magically bestows them.

And I'd tell a Klan member the same thing.

ingrahamj

Re:Land In New Hampshire?
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 03:14:32 pm »

Hello,

I would like to join the free state project. My wife and the kids are looking to buy some land to get started and camp for now. Build later on. Where are most of the free staters located in NH? we were thinking about looking into the Sunapee area. Can anyone provide some tips in getting land besides the obvious just buying it. I was looking for more for sale by owner type stuff

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 03:58:13 pm »

We know some FSP folk in Sunapee. Really, we're spreading out all over the state, but I would recommend looking for a town that's right for you in terms of real estate prices, political leanings, property taxes, distance to job, access to nature, etc. This spreadsheet may help: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3904587/nhtowns15.xls

Mark Warden, Porcupine Realtor, is a great place to start for advice on buying, even if you don't end up using his services (but he's a great guy, so I can recommend him!): http://porcupinerealestate.com/
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything