Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running for NH House - any suggestions?  (Read 785 times)

GraftonCountyFreedom4All

Running for NH House - any suggestions?
« on: May 17, 2016, 10:40:54 am »

Hello, Free Staters,

I am a liberty-loving resident of rural Grafton County and am seriously contemplating a run for the House this fall. I am attempting to unseat a Freshman Democrat with a rating of 'F' from the NH Liberty Alliance. I am still learning much about the process and would appreciate any advice you might have, particularly from those of you who have run for public office in the past. For instance:

- Pros and Cons of running as a Republican vs. Independent?
- Can you still get on the ballot as an Independent even if you lose the primary?
- How best to reach voters in a rural district covering five towns
- How much promotion to do before the primary vs. after
- Navigating "Republican" politics as a small-l libertarian independent

Thanks in advance for any tips or experience you might be able to share....

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Running for NH House - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 08:08:47 pm »

It's great that you're thinking about running! If you run as an independent, you will not win or even come close to winning. For state rep seats, most voters just vote the party label because they don't know the candidates. Grafton County, even rural Grafton County, can be pretty Democratic, and this will be a pretty Democratic year. You might want to consider primary-ing the incumbent Democrat if your district leans Democratic. If you do want to run as a Republican, talk to Omer Ahearn of the Pemi-Baker GOP or Mike Long of the Upper Valley GOP or... somebody in Littleton, if you're up that way. Pretty much the Republicans around here are thrilled to have anyone decent to run, even if you're a libertarian.

Promotion... the more, the better, the closer to election day, the better. Sending a mailing is probably the best way to reach your voters in a large, rural district but can be expensive. Talk to the NHLA (nhliberty.org) about financing.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
Re: Running for NH House - any suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 02:13:35 pm »

Run major party or it never happened.  Thanks for wanting to do this!
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it
Pages: [1]   Go Up