Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Police Militarization  (Read 1922 times)

LakesRegion

Police Militarization
« on: May 10, 2016, 04:08:11 pm »

I watched a documentary last night called “Peace Officer” that deals with police militarization. Towards the end it stated that Utah had passed a law to track the deployment of SWAT teams and that no other state tracks or limits the use of SWAT teams.

S.B. 185 Law Enforcement Transparency:

Requires all police agencies with a SWAT team to report on how often and for what purpose those SWAT teams are used for.

http://le.utah.gov/~2014/bills/static/SB0185.html

Two other laws were passed in Utah that relate to the use of SWAT teams (mainly due to the stories featured in the documentary)

H.B. 70 Forcible Entry:

Requires law enforcement officers to identify themselves before forcing entry into a building.

Allows law enforcement officers to force entry into a building without first issuing a demand or explanation if there is probable cause to believe that evidence will be easily or quickly destroyed, or there is reason to believe giving notice will endanger the officer or another person.

Requires law enforcement officers to use the least amount of force necessary when executing forcible entry.

http://le.utah.gov/~2014/bills/static/HB0070.html

S.B. 82 Forcible Entry:

Requires a law enforcement officer to wear a badge, label, or clothing that identifies that person as a peace officer.

Provides that a warrant authorizing forcible entry may not be issued solely for the purpose of an alleged controlled substance or for drug paraphernalia (must show evidence of actual drug distribution, mere possession isn't enough to warrant the SWAT team).

Provides that if the deploying law enforcement agency owns and operates body camera devices, the officer who executes a warrant shall be equipped with a body camera that actively records through the duration of the execution of the warrant.

http://le.utah.gov/~2015/bills/static/SB0082.html

Does anyone know if anyone has ever attempted to introduce similar bills in NH? I know there was a bill intended to demilitarize the police all together, but understandably didn't pass. Has anyone tried this route of introducing bills that track or limit police use of SWAT teams? I'd think they would have a much better chance at passing within the next two years after the democrats regain control of the legislature and Hassan steps down as governor. I think limiting police militarization incrementally might be a better strategy rather than demilitarizing it overnight.

The documentary if interested:
http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/videos/peace-officer-full-film/

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
Re: Police Militarization
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 12:54:30 am »

Sorry you're not getting more response lakes...   I don't know the answers to your questions, but others will.   Maybe check in at NHFree.com forums
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

KDus

• Made it halfway from CA.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 11:33:55 pm »

I've thought about it.
I seems icky to tell the state they need to keep track of what the sate is doing. It is asking for more laws, as though that has done anything, thus far.

LakesRegion

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 09:57:37 am »

I see where you are coming from, and generally yes more laws tend to produce negative results; however, that's not always the case. The jury nullification laws have allowed peaceful individuals to escape conviction. I wasn't really looking at the SWAT team transparency law as a means for the state to keep track of its self, rather an accountability law so that the inhabitants of NH know how many teams there are and why they are being used. I suspect, as I'm sure most would,  that the SWAT teams are mostly being used against peaceful individuals not involved in any violent crime. The  SWAT team transparency law results could be used as grounds to pass laws severely limiting there deployment. What do you think of the two forcible entry laws? I still think that limiting the SWAT teams use would be a good step in demilitarizing the police incrementally.

Jerry B

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 10:12:02 am »

So what's this about a "shelter in place" ordered by police and some schools canceled for the day? Some guy shot two cops and the police were searching for him in the Manchester area. This reminds me of the post-Marathon bombing "shelter in place" and Boston turned into a ghost town because one suspect was on the loose.

I understand how the people of the Boston area approved of the whole thing, what with Massachusetts having a huge gun control mentality, and a dependent-on-police-goons-to-protect-them mentality. But in New Hampshire, where many in the civilian population are armed, and don't they even have open carry? If there is a criminal attempting to car-jack your car or break into your home, the people of NH know how to protect themselves (as opposed to the Massachusetts serfs). And classes canceled because of that?

One reason why I really, really want to move to NH is because I believe I will feel safer and more comfortable living among people who are armed (especially when, right now, I am not) and who believe in freedom and self-defense. Right now I do not feel safe in this Massachusetts police state, in which police goons go crazy shooting each other as well as the entire neighborhood in Watertown because of a suspect who shot a cop.

And then there was the Massachusetts police car chase ending in NH with police beating the crap out of a surrendering suspect, this week. In many of these cases, it is because a suspect had shot police (as opposed to shooting a mere civilian) or had some sort of initial confrontation with police as was the case with the Big Chase up to NH.

But with this "shelter in place" stuff and having to cancel school, I am very disappointed. Are the people of NH losing it? Have Obama and Hillary been that influential?

LakesRegion

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 11:16:38 am »

I'm not from Manchester so I don't know very much about what happened down there, but “shelter in place” orders are nothing new. Most of the time they are from silly things like fake bomb threats or when the weather gets real bad, but I don't know anyone that takes them seriously.  I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so I reject the whole preparation for a police state line of thinking. It's kind of funny how I started this post right before all the media attention though.

Why are you still in MA? I wouldn't feel safe there either, so I can't blame you.

Jerry B

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 11:26:56 am »

I was referring more to the mentality of the civilian "sheeple" who believe in gun control, etc. and who approve of police "shelter in place" orders. But eventually I hope to move to NH anyway.

One thing I have recalled regarding police militarization is that the people of Concord crowded a City Council meeting to oppose the police dept. getting a "Bearcat" armored vehicle, a.k.a. a tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsEbfCl5T18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Equc9A1pqQk

That was three years ago, but I hope they haven't lost that sense of distrust of the government empowered to be thugs.

KDus

• Made it halfway from CA.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 03:06:12 pm »

Re: swat laws,
seems like a pragmatic attempt. We can't say government is wrong, immoral,  and such and then ask for more laws to make it better.
I want representatives to vote for smaller government,  not for more laws to fix it. Could be construed as a sort of endorsement. ....
let's not ask a better version of tyranny.
That said, it could be a good tool for public awareness and steering opinion

Freed0mAndTruth

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 10:52:00 am »

Sounds like a good idea, but I think a federal law demanding such information from cities and counties would be the best way to go and to have such information published on a website open to the public.

Something like this: https://data.austintexas.gov/browse?category=Public+Safety
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:55:56 am by Freed0mAndTruth »

Jerry B

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 11:04:40 am »

An LGBT night club was shot up in Orlando and at least 50 people were killed, 53 injured. Supposedly, the police waited outside for 3 hours while the shooting continued. Aren't these supposed to be "brave" men in blue? Shouldn't they just go right in and locate the shooter and stop him from shooting and killing more people? Don't the police have all this military-style gear, vests, shields, helmets, etc.? Aren't they supposed to take risks?

In the meantime, not one of the people at that place was armed? There were no armed security guards? Don't tell me, this was another "gun-free zone"? In gun-free zones, even the professional security guards are not allowed to be armed. Can you imagine if, with several hundred patrons, that just a few armed people could have stopped the shooter early on and saved many people?

So, we have a police state in the USA, with militarization of local police with federal handouts, and so on, and police going after someone who might be in possession of marijuana, or carrying cash while driving that police steal with impunity. Yet they can't stop a lunatic mass shooter. And we have this gun control mentality that is causing the disarmament of innocent people.

Crazy America.

I think that with New Hampshire's respect for the right to keep and bear arms, it is less likely that a mass shooting like the one in Orlando would happen in NH.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am »

Carry of firearms is prohibited inside bars in Florida. Not in NH.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

blackie

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 08:17:16 am »

Pulse wasn't just a bar, it was an 18+ nightclub. The youngest victim was 18.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything