Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music scene in NH  (Read 2504 times)

Free_Bass_Player

Music scene in NH
« on: October 10, 2015, 08:06:26 am »

I am a musician that plays just about any genre of music and my wife, family and I are planning on moving to NH after this school year. We have been moved around a lot lately (since 2005) where we lived in what we thought was a quite conservative liberatarian state, Georgia. SInce we have been all over the west coast of Florida, Colorado, California, back to Georgia and now in FLA. I want to move once more to New Hampshire.

I play bass guitar and have recently played country, southern rock and had my own Blues Band. I personally don't do any drugs but I have no problem with 420. Not interested in getting with people that do harder drugs.

My question is are there a lot of musicians in New Hampshire? Are there a lot of opportunities to form a band or join a band? Are there venues to play at in New Hampshire (not dives)? I thought Florida had opportunities to play but I have not been successful with paying gigs here.
Thanks
Corey

Kamekazi Seagull

Re: Music scene in NH
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 08:43:41 pm »

You might have some luck on the seacoast. I know The Stone Church in Newmarket sometimes hosts blues bands. Also Portsmouth has several venues with live music.

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 07:07:29 pm »

You might have some luck on the seacoast. I know The Stone Church in Newmarket sometimes hosts blues bands. Also Portsmouth has several venues with live music.

Seems like a good location. Dover and Portsmouth have several places where live bands play for money. There might be more opportunity in Portland, ME or Boston, MA, though. Of course, as was mentioned, the Seacoast is a good location. It is between Portland and Boston.

painehead

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 06:22:46 pm »

I hate to sound cynical, but when people name a couple venues that have bands....it's not really a music scene for *working* or writing musicians per se.  (As opposed to an area that has a unique characteristic or sound or standards of performance, Nashville for example). For the sake of answering Free_Bass_Player, I don't think there is a flourishing scene or even a buzz.  The usual flow of top-40 bands and the sort, but if you are looking for variety, I think it's more of just luck of the draw.  Since the advent of soundcloud and the like, for writing, that may be the way to go.  However, I think it would be a nice add to this site where serious musicians can try to network here and assist newbies.   live near Boston and think about moving to FSP just to be near people who are not zombies but I can't leave my music work because it's my bread and butter.

trevorparscal

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 09:36:36 pm »

I don't yet know much about what's already going on here, as I've only just moved this summer and haven't gotten settled enough to be focused on that. I think music scenes need a few things: a lot of people, a bunch of venues and some level of intentional or unintentional continuity between acts that makes the area distinctive. I'm ambitiously hoping to contribute to making that happen here.

I'm building a studio in Concord, and am looking to connect with, jam with, and - if it makes sense - form a band with other musically inclined free staters.

Hope you choose to make the move. We absolutely love it, and are very glad we're here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up