Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: working without a permit and a SSN? doable?  (Read 1756 times)

jonschnee

working without a permit and a SSN? doable?
« on: December 03, 2014, 04:36:07 pm »

Hello there:)

I'm a 22 year old traveler and I'm considering making a move to New Hampshire. For the last 6 months I have been living in England and it turned out to be a great adventure and a teaching life experience. Before that I spent almost three years struggling with my college degree in Poland and I hated every moment of it. Disillusioned about my college degree and the ways things were going for me I decided to drop out, leave and try doing things differently. The summer semester was coming to an end and it was a good friend of mine who suggested that we go to England for the summer. We wanted to go there for the summer, to work and explore a new place, and gain some life experience. Long story short, I spent about 6 months living and working in Bristol and I am super happy I decided to do that.

And now I was thinking about repeating this experience in a new place. I love the experience of meeting new people on my travels. I really enjoy hearing their stories and sharing different perspectives on life. But to be honest, I feel it would  be really great to be, for once in my life, surrounded by people that agree with me on some of the most fundamental life issues. It's just something I felt I might be lacking, well, I don't know if I don't try.

However, the only problem is, that while it was super easy for me to find a job in England, I'm afraid it might turn out to be a completely different thing in the US. In England all it took for me to secure a job was some leg work, loads of positive thinking and a briefcase full of CVs. However, in America, I'm going to be a mere "tourist", with no "rights" to work legally and do such basic things like financially provide for myself.

I'm hoping I could hear your view on a few things to help me make up my mind.
So, basically, I would be very thankful if you could tell me, in your experience,

how hard it might be for me to get a cash-in-hand job in New Hampshire. what's the attitude like when it comes to doing business in the grey market. how about the people that live here? are they immigrant friendly? and how strict are the state law enforcers here, do they crack down on immigration like they do in the southern states? are immigration raids something you hear about? how likely would you be to employ someone without a work permit and a social security number?

and how difficult would it be for me to rent a room in New Hampshire without a documented steady income. (I need to ask you this because to be honest, in England, it's quite hard to get a decent room to rent without being vetted by an agency. On top of that most of the ads being posted by agencies, and not the landlords themselves.)

So in short: do you think it's doable?:)

TL;DR
can I find a job and some place to live in NH for a few months without a Social Security Number and a work permit?
I welcome any comments, and thank you for bearing with me:)

Michal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up