Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Visiting Keene and need place to park  (Read 3202 times)

chrisgreyson

Visiting Keene and need place to park
« on: October 20, 2014, 09:00:23 am »

Hi, I just joined the forum and am typing this from Portland, Maine. I'm planning on driving to Keene to check out southern New Hampshire and was wondering if anyone could provide a safe place for me to park my SUV overnight, as I sleep in the back. . I have a dog as a traveling companion. We came from Texas and I want to check out the area for possible long term residence.  It would also be nice to meet some fellow voluntaryists while I'm visiting as well. Thanks, Chris.

lildog

Re: Visiting Keene and need place to park
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 02:48:06 pm »

Most Wallmarts will allow RV parking over night if you can't find any individuals with room for an RV.

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 02:53:00 pm »

There are homeless people that live in downtown Keene and have cars. There are 2 or 3 downtown lots that allow free, overnight parking on a rotating schedule from night to night. I don't know the schedule but someone at the 100 Nights homeless shelter near a couple of the lots might know it. Hopefully you aren't going to be living in your car in Keene for that long but Keenevention is coming up. http://keenevention.info/ There is also Social Sundays every Sunday at McCue's.

Eric Freerock

• Moving Summer 2013
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 03:02:09 pm »

The walmart in Keene isn't 24 hours.  There's pretty much nothing that is 24 hours in Keene, so a private residence would be best.  Worse comes to worse, yes there are two overnight lots on Gilbo Ave, just check the sign for which lot you need to be in for that day of the week.

chrisgreyson

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 04:48:52 pm »

Thanks for those ideas. Doesn't look like I'll make it to Keene until tomorrow night as I'm in Portsmouth right now.  If anyone's in this part of NH let me know. I don't need even a driveway just a place maybe in front of someone's house or even some other ideas of where the people in costumes wearing badges wont cause me harm. I'm not really as worried about just regular people.  Also Manchester is another option.

ChrisR

Re:
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 05:04:09 pm »

We live just north of Keene (about 17 minutes from the city limits) on Route 12A - plenty of off the road parking you are welcome to.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:00:09 pm »

Welcome!  Would recommend attending Social Sunday at 6pm at McCue's and meeting some folks.
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

chrisgreyson

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 03:29:59 pm »

I stayed in Bear Brook State Park last night and will again tonight. I'll drive to Keene tomorrow and check out those homeless parking lots first and if it's too scary I'll look into 12 A.  By off road do you mean there are some areas you can pull off the road and park for the night.  Not sure what you meant. Also Monadnock State Park is still open and looks reasonably close to Keene as well. I don't have much time to spend in Keene as I need to be in Rhode Island by Thursday late afternoon.  Thanks again for all your replies. I'll try to make Porcfest next year so I'll be back.  I'm retired, traveling and doing my best to live free and avoid the state as much as possible. I sold everything and all my possessions are either in my car or in a 5 x 10 storage unit in Austin, TX.  I'm somewhat of a minimalist.  Plan to travel the world and make friends with like minded people. Thanks all 

chrisgreyson

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 01:30:43 pm »

Arrived and walked around downtown and am now shopping at the food coop. What's the best place for beerie selection on tap?  Thanks, Chris.

chrisgreyson

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 02:58:11 pm »

I called the city about those overnight lots downtown and was told that I could sleep in my car, but if someone calls the police to report me then I could be asked to move along. I'm not going to get an oil drum and make a fire in it or hang out my laundry, as I plan to be inconspicuous.  My concern is being woken up by a costumed person in the middle of the night.  Stop by and I'll buy you a beer.  :P  Not sure if the weather will hold up for me to hang around for the Keenevention, but I am very adventurous so you never know. I'm going to Connecticut for the weekend to visit a college friend, so I might stay until the next weekend if I can sleep in that parking lot. Great location that's for sure.

chrisgreyson

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 06:48:48 am »

Just wanted to you know I slept in the lot nearest the 100 Nights and all went well. There are several cars parked here, but haven't noticed anyone else sleeping overnight. Thanks again all and maybe I'll be back for Keenevention or if not next year I'll come through on the way to Porcfest because now I know of a free place to spend the night.

I had a couple of drinks at the at the 21 Bar & Grill.  The 4 to 6 happy hour is a bargain.  Also ate dinner at Mi Jalisco.  Texas is famous for its Mexican food and so is Mexico and this place was excellent I'm sure for being in New England.  I sat at the bar and everyone was very friendly and accomadating
If you stop by tell them the Gringo from Texas sent you.

Peace and love,  Chris

ChrisR

Re:
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 02:11:34 pm »

Sorry for the latent reply :-) I have off street parking - a wooded grassy area that's well off the road and we walk down to the house. But not off-roading.  If you are back in the area for Keenevention (highly recommended) feel free to email me at crietmann at gmail dot com.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up