Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unschooling experience in NH  (Read 29023 times)

jamar3030

Unschooling experience in NH
« on: March 14, 2014, 02:20:34 am »

My wife and I are currently looking into moving to NH and are interested in raising unschooled kids there. However, after looking into the laws regulating homeschooling, it seems like it would be difficult to unschool there. Take this for example:

"TITLE XV EDUCATION/ CHAPTER 193-A/ HOME EDUCATION", Section 193-A:6 Records; Evaluation. –
    I. The parent shall maintain a portfolio of records and materials relative to the home education program. The portfolio shall consist of a log which designates by title the reading materials used, and also samples of writings, worksheets, workbooks, or creative materials used or developed by the child. Such portfolio shall be preserved by the parent for 2 years from the date of the ending of the instruction.
    II. The parent shall provide for an annual educational evaluation in which is documented the child's demonstration of educational progress at a level commensurate with the child's age and ability. The child shall be deemed to have successfully completed his annual evaluation upon meeting the requirements of any one of the following:
       (a) A certified teacher or a teacher currently teaching in a nonpublic school who is selected by the parent shall evaluate the child's educational progress upon review of the portfolio and discussion with the parent or child;
       (b) The child shall take any national student achievement test, administered by a person who meets the qualifications established by the provider or publisher of the test. Composite results at or above the fortieth percentile on such tests shall be deemed reasonable academic proficiency;
       (c) The child shall take a state student assessment test used by the resident district. Composite results at or above the fortieth percentile on such state test shall be deemed reasonable academic proficiency; or
       (d) The child shall be evaluated using any other valid measurement tool mutually agreed upon by the parent and the commissioner of education, resident district superintendent, or nonpublic school principal.
    III. The parent shall maintain a copy of the evaluation. The results of the evaluation:
       (a) May be used to demonstrate the child's academic proficiency in order to participate in public school programs, and co-curricular activities which are defined as school district-sponsored and directed athletics, fine arts, and academic activities. Home educated students shall be subject to the same participation policy and eligibility conditions as apply to public school students.
       (b) Shall not be used as a basis for termination of a home education program.
       (c) Provides a basis for a constructive relationship between the parent and the evaluator, both working together in the best interest of the child.

( From http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xv/193-a/193-a-mrg.htm)

This section of state requirements for homeschooling (and I presume unschooling as well) would seem to be prohibitive for unschoolers because if children must take student assessment test, then it is no longer unschooling in my opinion.

Are there any parents here who home/ unschool? If so, what is your experience? Do you find yourself jumping through the states hoops in order to educate your children the way you like?

freedomroad

Re: Unschooling experience in NH
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 02:48:26 am »

New Hampshire is nationally known for it's unschool scheme. In fact, perhaps the most well known unschooler in the nation levels in NH. It seems that even though NH has some of the least restrictive homeschooling laws in the nation, the unschoolers that ignore all of the laws are not bothered.

Look up Dayna Martin. Or maybe you don't need to because she is known as 1 of the unschooling experts.

Here is what you are supposed to do in NH according to the law. There is a 1 time notification to the area district. After that, you just have to have a friend give a test every year or put together a tiny binder of work and keep this info for 3 years. It's about 30 minutes worth of work per child per year to create the binder. Obviously the law could and should be better but this is 1 of the best situations in the nation.

Actually, NH is the only state where there is a state system that pays parents to homeschool.

On top of that, most school districts allow homeschooled kids to participant in sports or take selected classes.

There are also chartered schools which allow homeshcoolers to attend for free.

If you want, I can put you in touch with some folks on Facebook but yeah, NH has 1 of the least bad education systems in the nation.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:59:44 pm by 1DayAtATime »

tmjohnson

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 12:41:26 pm »

Jamar's significant other here.

That's good to know! Thanks for the info. We don't have kids yet, but just want to make sure! I was home-schooled in Montana. Supposedly it's an easier state, but we still had to use a curriculum and my mom still had to do lots of legal logistics. I'm just starting to research unschooling in depth. I guess we just have to learn to jump the right hoops.

I do know of Dayna. I didn't realize she's in NH. Sweet!

Thanks Again!

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 10:02:05 pm »

Jamar's significant other here.

That's good to know! Thanks for the info. We don't have kids yet, but just want to make sure! I was home-schooled in Montana. Supposedly it's an easier state, but we still had to use a curriculum and my mom still had to do lots of legal logistics. I'm just starting to research unschooling in depth. I guess we just have to learn to jump the right hoops.

I do know of Dayna. I didn't realize she's in NH. Sweet!

Thanks Again!

Thanks for your reply. Obviously NH isn't perfect at all. Otherwise, the Free State Project would have never been needed in the first place ;) It's good that you are passionate about this issue. We need more passionate people about this and other liberty issues to join the NH liberty community. We need help both bringing back our lost freedoms and in preserving the freedoms we currently have. Plus there is always need for new ideas and such.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 10:52:04 pm »

Isn't the business scholarship program on hold until the appeal to the NH Supreme Court?

And charter schools in NH are public schools, so I don't believe that they can make anyone 'pay' for access or deny them entry.

jamar3030

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 07:33:18 pm »

1DayAtATime, Thanks for your informative response. We are mulling over the pros and cons of moving to NH. Schooling is one of the most important. As more questions come up we will refer to the boards for help. Thanks again.

freedomroad

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 11:25:11 pm »

Isn't the business scholarship program on hold until the appeal to the NH Supreme Court?

And charter schools in NH are public schools, so I don't believe that they can make anyone 'pay' for access or deny them entry.

It isn't on hold as far as I know. 1 year happened. There is a day in court next month. I know there is a freeze on religious related schools.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 09:49:23 am by 1DayAtATime »

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 09:45:07 pm »

Rules? What rules?

We're just ignernt movers from Texas (where the home-school rules are the only thing better than NH). We never asked permission, never notified anyone.

We just do it.  :)

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 07:23:15 pm »

The HSLDA map is completely bogus. They changed NH to red after a bill was introduced that would add regulation. Introduced! The bill never passed.

With the new regulatory changes and the scholarship tax credit that goes to homeschoolers, I think NH is definitely better than average for homeschooling. There are still a few things that could be improved, but it's far better than NY, where we lived last.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything