Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Natural Disaster Analysis of Candidate States!  (Read 47930 times)

Solitar

Re:Natural Disaster Analysis of Candidate States!
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2003, 03:40:19 pm »

Mike Lorrey, according to the USGS (see below links), your following is incorrect.
You are the one extrapolating to the entire western half of Wyoming.
The thing is that the Yellowstone Caldera includes almost the entire area of the state of Wyoming. If you look at a topographical map that shows the continental divide lines, you'll see that the divide splits in southern Wyoming and comes back together up north. This entire basin is the collapsed caldera of Yellowstone. If, and when, Yellowstone blows again, it will be the entire state of Wyoming that will go up in smoke.

First, a reminder that Yellowstone is a very tiny part of the northwest quarter of Wyoming.  Please dig up your road atlas while the following graphic loads.
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/figures/fig1.html

The above came from this USGS page which includes photos.
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/history.html

If you couldn't find your road atlas, the following has an inset map showing tiny Yellowstone in Wyoming. It also has a closeup perspective.
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/LvlMap.html

Note that the caldera is about 1,000 sq. miles out of Wyoming's 97,000 square miles -- about one percent.  Yep, only 1% of Wyoming.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2003, 08:13:23 pm by Joe, aka, Solitar »

Tony Stelik

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a rabid individualist
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2003, 03:47:01 pm »

If this thing blows the whole states (USA) and plus would be death. It blows regularly every 600 + million years and now is due. It might be within next 1 milion though, so what the beef? I watched this on discovery some weeks ago and posted some where around, but this was supposed to be just as ajoke. Suprvoulcano eruption will likely end civilisation as it is today
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forgive you

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2003, 07:17:24 pm »

Johnadams, according to the USGS (see below links), your following is incorrect.
You are the one extrapolating to the entire western half of Wyoming.
The thing is that the Yellowstone Caldera includes almost the entire area of the state of Wyoming. If you look at a topographical map that shows the continental divide lines, you'll see that the divide splits in southern Wyoming and comes back together up north. This entire basin is the collapsed caldera of Yellowstone. If, and when, Yellowstone blows again, it will be the entire state of Wyoming that will go up in smoke.

If you couldn't find your road atlas, the following has an inset map showing tiny Yellowstone in Wyoming. It also has a closeup perspective.
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/LvlMap.html

Note that the caldera is about 1,000 sq. miles out of Wyoming's 97,000 square miles -- about one percent.  Yep, only 1% of Wyoming.

Actually, what I was describing was an older caldera. Looking at a mapquest map of the continental divide, down where I-80 passes by Table Rock, you see the feature I'm speaking of. My bad.

This being said, the Yellowstone still would wipe out the entire state if it lit off. Geological record shows that it covers all of WY along with parts of UT, CO, and other western states with lava and ash to significant depths when it blows.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

Samizdat

• FSP Participant
  • Llama! BDSM afficionado (Dom, med. S&m, B&D)
    • 911: the Road to Tyranny
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2003, 12:50:41 am »

Luckily, given that Yellowstone is a park, I doubt there are many permanent dwellings there

Try reading the part of the article stating that when Yellowstone blows it will lay waste to everything within 500 miles.

Ever heard of Spokane, Salt Lake City, Boise?  How about Billings or Helena?  Does Denver, a whole 85 miles past the radius of devastation, look like a pretty good place to be when unstable Yellowstone erupts?
The scientists admit they don't know if it will go up in a million years, or tomorrow.  There are plenty of geologically unstable places with which to concern ourselves, without gravitating to one of the worst (I'd sooner recommend San Francisco, L.A., and the rest of the Pacific-North American plate collision zone).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2003, 08:09:34 pm by Samizdat »
"Family, friends you can trust -- that's more valuable than all the gold in the mountains" -- Alex Jones http://www.infowars.com or to listen live (M-F 11 A.M.-2 P.M. CST) http://sce.m2ktalk.com:8010/listen.pls or check http://www.infowars.com/listen.html for your nearest AM/FM affilia

johnadams

• Friend of the FSP, Libertarian
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2003, 03:06:29 pm »

If this thing blows the whole states (USA) and plus would be death. It blows regularly every 600 + million years and now is due. ....
I think it last blew about 600 thousand, rather than million, years ago and the quotes of scientists I read said that they currently do not have sufficient data to make an educated guess about when it will blow next, but they are working on that and do not think it will be anytime soon. A major earthquake could happen anytime, however.

I am skeptical of the claim that a major Yellowstone eruption would destroy the entire country, but it has been said by scientists that a major Yellowstone volcano eruption would be far more devastating than the Mt. St. Helens disaster. My guess is that the areas worst hit will partly depend on which direction(s) the wind blows and the lava flows.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2003, 03:08:03 pm by johnadams »
"men are born equally free and independent" - John Adams
World's Smallest Political Quiz

johnadams

• Friend of the FSP, Libertarian
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2003, 03:59:03 pm »

Luckily, given that Yellowstone is a park, I doubt there are many permanent dwellings there

Try reading the part of the article stating that when Yellowstone blows it will lay waste to everything within 500 miles. ....

The link you provide to the National Geographic article is undependable; I found the Google cache link to be more consistently available. I reviewed the article again and couldn't find mention of the 500 mile figure you noted. Are you speaking of a different article?

Still, a major Yellowstone eruption would be devastating (and would also threaten Montana, and perhaps other states, and would likely impact world weather patterns), as the following quote from the article indicates:

"this seemingly serene plateau could blow so hard it would make the 1980 Mount St. Helens explosion look like a sneeze."

--Yellowstone Volcano: Is "the Beast" Building to a Violent Tantrum?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2003, 03:59:42 pm by johnadams »
"men are born equally free and independent" - John Adams
World's Smallest Political Quiz

Bonner County

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2003, 08:02:19 pm »

It looks like Isabel is going to SLAM delaware.Maybe we'll get lucky and she'll take out DC
Remember children,after you pull the pin,Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.

jgilyeat

• FSP Participant
  • Boo!
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2003, 09:21:42 pm »

Actually, the last estimated tracks that I've seen have Isabel making landfall in the Cape Hattaras or Virginia Beach areas, and then tracking up into the Chesapeake Bay.

Being someone who lives outside of Baltimore (-west- side, thankfully), it really doesn't matter if it 's 50 miles farther east, we're -still- going to get the crap beat out of us.

While I detest some of the things that George and Ashcroft have been pulling, praying that DC gets levelled (which is essentially what you're doing) ain't kosher, man.  It gets levelled, and 2 of my brothers and my parents likely get whacked, too.

freedomroad

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2003, 09:29:09 pm »

Actually, the last estimated tracks that I've seen have Isabel making landfall in the Cape Hattaras or Virginia Beach areas, and then tracking up into the Chesapeake Bay.

Being someone who lives outside of Baltimore (-west- side, thankfully), it really doesn't matter if it 's 50 miles farther east, we're -still- going to get the crap beat out of us.

I hope the FSP members (and others) in DE, DC, VA, and the rest of the area stay safe.

However, this does bring up a point.  People can pretend that ID/MT/WY/SD/ND will all be wasted by a quake, but there is actual danger in DE.  Well, there is also serious danger of freezing to death in all of the states (although it is very little in DE compared to the rest).  My mom was telling me about how her mailman froze to death when she lived in ME.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2003, 09:47:25 pm »

I hope the FSP members (and others) in DE, DC, VA, and the rest of the area stay safe.

However, this does bring up a point.  People can pretend that ID/MT/WY/SD/ND will all be wasted by a quake, but there is actual danger in DE.  Well, there is also serious danger of freezing to death in all of the states (although it is very little in DE compared to the rest).  My mom was telling me about how her mailman froze to death when she lived in ME.

10,000+ people died from heat in France, at 104 degrees.  It goes over 100 in Florida where I grew up, and can go way over in southwestern states.  Yet people don't drop like flies.  It's all in being prepared for what may happen.  If it hits 100 and you don't have A/C, drink water, not red wine.

jgilyeat

• FSP Participant
  • Boo!
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2003, 09:55:12 pm »

Thanks, Keith.
I'm not looking forward to dealing with a storm that could rival what an unnamed storm did to MD in 1933...think Andrew, only a thousand miles to the north.
Hugo ain't got -nothin- on Isabel.

Bonner County

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2003, 10:15:30 pm »

-- Note from moderator (Dada Orwell) --

Bonner County's post deleted for advocating deaths of individuals not known to be guilty of violent crimes.

--End note from moderator--
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 01:53:30 am by Dada Orwell »
Remember children,after you pull the pin,Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.

jgilyeat

• FSP Participant
  • Boo!
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2003, 10:35:36 pm »

I, on the other hand, do not, as much as I dislike how my parents have handled their interpersonal relationships.

The advocation of the deaths of innocents to 'eliminate' those who are enemies of freedom smacks of the same sort of attitude that permeates the halls of Congress today.  The ends do _NOT_ justify the means if those means require that non-participants be sacrificed simply because they are inconveniently located.

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2003, 02:43:08 pm »

Here's a nice look at what type of earthquakes we can expect from the West, the Central US, or the East:

It's not looking good for the West!   ;)

Historical Earthquake Map of the Western US   :o

Historical Earthquake Map of the Central US

Historical Earthquake Map of the Eastern US

This changes everything!  :D
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

Kelton

• FSP Participant
  • el resplandor de las llamas de la libertad
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2003, 03:10:18 pm »

This changes everything!  :D

Yea, earthquakes are pretty good at changing things and so are tornadoes, hurricanes, volcanoes and other things.  Hopefully, in whichever state we have selected the FSP activists will long be remembered as a powerful force for political change too!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 03:11:14 pm by Kelton, a.k.a. exitus »
. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up