Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions  (Read 9028 times)

free_at_last

Questions
« on: December 13, 2010, 12:22:56 pm »

Hi,

I'm currently in Montreal, and I've got some questions.

1- When I newly opened my account today, there was a declaration of intent. In it, it said that by signing it, I was going to 'protect' life. Problem is, I am pro-abortion, womens can do what they want with their body. On top of that, it don't make sense because if i'm going to protect life, that mean I'll turn into a vegetarian too, because I will have to value life equaly for all living beings. So do I still qualify to join the projet eventho I'm pro-abortion?

2- I'm currently in college, studying to become a chartred accountant (in 2 years). Is there alot of work for CA's ? If so, what salary can I expect if I come with 3-4 years of experience?

My friend is finishing his degree in Financial Engineering, and he also wants to know how is the job market for his type of job..?

Thanks

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 02:32:04 pm »

Hi,

I'm currently in Montreal, and I've got some questions.

1- When I newly opened my account today, there was a declaration of intent. In it, it said that by signing it, I was going to 'protect' life. Problem is, I am pro-abortion, womens can do what they want with their body. On top of that, it don't make sense because if i'm going to protect life, that mean I'll turn into a vegetarian too, because I will have to value life equaly for all living beings. So do I still qualify to join the projet eventho I'm pro-abortion?

2- I'm currently in college, studying to become a chartred accountant (in 2 years). Is there alot of work for CA's ? If so, what salary can I expect if I come with 3-4 years of experience?

My friend is finishing his degree in Financial Engineering, and he also wants to know how is the job market for his type of job..?

Thanks

1.  the statement is not meant to be about abortion.  The split is prob 50 50 among libertarians and FSPers that I know.
2.  I don't know that field or Financial engineering but I will ask around.

If you are on Facebook..join the group FSP job alerts and post something there.

Welcome to the site.

BigJoe

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 02:41:03 pm »

many libertarians are pro-choice (its kind of off to call it 'pro-abortion')  There isn't a clear cut, well-defined libertarian position on abortion.  Personally I more or less agree with Walter Block's eviction stance.  Many libertarians believe in natural rights, and the vast majority of natural rights advocates do not think they apply to the non reasoning animals.  And the more utilitarian libertarians see animals as useful food for humans.  I wouldn't expect most libertarians to be any higher or lower percentage than the regular population when it comes to being vegetarian, if anything, maybe slightly less likely.

Also, the statement of intent doesn't say that YOU will protect life, it says that "Once there [NH], I will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of civil government is the protection of life, liberty, and property"  It says that government at its MAXIMUM should have the role of protecting life.

RichW

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 08:04:06 pm »

Welcome free_at_last!  I can see why you are confused.  The wording is, IMO, a bit misleading.

"Once there [NH], I will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of civil government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Clearly, this is partially derived from Jefferson's words in the Declaration of Independence...

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness -- that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,..."

I think our statement of intent would more accurately reflect our intended meaning if it said..."the maximum role of civil government is the protection of an individual's right to life, liberty, and property."

Would other FSPers agree?
"... it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds...."  ~  Samuel Adams

Rad Anonima

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 06:21:26 pm »

Someone mentioned a facebook page: FSP job alerts.. I cant find anything on facebook about fsp jobs.
can anyone give a link or is the page/group deleted?

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 06:58:59 pm »

tortuga

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 11:21:48 pm »

I am  pro life, with standard self defense exceptions. I think you can be libertarian and on either side of the issue. It depends on how you view the baby and body-property rights. In a free society I think it would vary by community. Some will be tolerant, some wont. Just do what we are doing and live in a tolerant town. :P
Move Date: May 2014! (tentative)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything