Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: 15) Health News & Statist Health Threats  (Read 74277 times)

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: Libertarian Health Dept. (Update: You're All Mentally ILL!!)
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2010, 09:31:33 pm »

Oppositional Defiant Disorder: Daring to Question Authorities
[PS: Here's a Libertarian cure for oppositional defiant disorder: http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=29105&w=9&cn=37]

Is Free Thinking A Mental Illness?
http://offthegridnews.com/2010/10/08/is-free-thinking-a-mental-illness/

Oct 8th, 2010 | By Andrew | Category: Big Brother, Politics

http://offthegridnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/mental-evaluation-300x207.jpgIs nonconformity and freethinking a mental illness?  According to the newest addition of the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), it certainly is.  The manual identifies a new mental illness called “oppositional defiant disorder” or ODD.  Defined as an “ongoing pattern of disobedient, hostile and defiant behavior,” symptoms include questioning authority, negativity, defiance, argumentativeness, and being easily annoyed.

The DSM-IV is the manual used by psychiatrists to diagnose mental illnesses and, with each new edition, there are scores of new mental illnesses.  Are we becoming sicker?  Is it getting harder to be mentally healthy?  Authors of the DSM-IV say that it’s because they’re better able to identify these illnesses today.  Critics charge that it’s because they have too much time on their hands.

New mental illnesses identified by the DSM-IV include arrogance, narcissism, above-average creativity, cynicism, and antisocial behavior.  In the past, these were called “personality traits,” but now they’re diseases.

And there are treatments available.

All of this is a symptom of our over-diagnosing and overmedicating culture.  In the last 50 years, the DSM-IV has gone from 130 to 357 mental illnesses.  A majority of these illnesses afflict children.  Although the manual is an important diagnostic tool for the psychiatric industry, it has also been responsible for social changes.  The rise in ADD, bipolar disorder, and depression in children has been largely because of the manual’s identifying certain behaviors as symptoms.  A Washington Post article observed that, if Mozart were born today, he would be diagnosed with ADD and “medicated into barren normality.”

According to the DSM-IV, the diagnosis guidelines for identifying oppositional defiant disorder are for children, but adults can just as easily suffer from the disease.  This should give any freethinking American reason for worry.

The Soviet Union used new “mental illnesses” for political repression.  People who didn’t accept the beliefs of the Communist Party developed a new type of schizophrenia.  They suffered from the delusion of believing communism was wrong.  They were isolated, forcefully medicated, and put through repressive “therapy” to bring them back to sanity.

When the last edition of the DSM-IV was published, identifying the symptoms of various mental illnesses in children, there was a jump in the diagnosis and medication of children.  Some states have laws that allow protective agencies to forcibly medicate, and even make it a punishable crime to withhold medication.  This paints a chilling picture for those of us who are nonconformists.

Although the authors of the manual claim no ulterior motives but simply better diagnostic practices, the labeling of freethinking and nonconformity as mental illnesses has a lot of potential for abuse.  It can easily become a weapon in the arsenal of a repressive state.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:04:20 pm by Luck »

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: Libertarian Health Dept. (Update: Stop Forced Vaccinations)
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 07:33:40 pm »

Threat to Right to Choose Not to Vaccinate
February 22, 2011 - Issue 1665
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/newsletter-archive/2011/02/22.aspx
Dr. Mercola says:
- Parents: You Can Say No to Vaccinations, Right? Maybe Not for Much Longer
You currently have the freedom to vaccinate or not. But if this bill is approved it will remove your right to freedom of choice if you live in Washington state, and allow you to be openly exploited by those in positions of power in medicine, government and industry. To help me stop this - I need your help TODAY. [Click here: http://nvicadvocacy.org/members/Register.aspx.]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:05:58 pm by Luck »

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: Libertarian Health Dept. (Update: Google Search Censorship)
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 07:48:07 pm »

Google works with the FDA to thwart Web searches for alternative products
http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1972088
by  johng
- (NaturalNews) The latest attack on free speech in America comes from the FDA and is supported by Google Adwords. NaturalNews has learned that the FDA is quietly, and without notice to affected companies, commanding Google to disable the full Adwords accounts of nutritional supplement companies offering "detox" or "chelation" nutritional products.
- This secret war against nutritional supplement companies is being waged entirely outside the law, as the FDA gives no notice to affected companies and does not give them any opportunity to respond in their defense. No judge, no jury, no notice, no due process. The FDA simply bypasses legal notice requirements and goes straight to Google, which complies by disabling Adwords accounts, shutting off an important source of revenue for nutritional supplement companies.
- the rest:
http://www.naturalnews.com/036726_Google_Adwords_FDA_censorship.html#ixzz22yELt4eo

Reply by  #155216
- if the rainbow coalition can redefine santorum as homsexual fluid then surely the natural medicine people can fight this with some goole bombing.

Reply  by  doc10
- I believe it goes way deeper than that with Google. I have noticed that my searches that used to come up with relevant results, no longer do. And it isn't only the adsense ads it is everything. So, I asked around, everyone is noticing it. Use a different search engine. Google is USELESS..

Reply by  Newport
- 'The world according to Google' has been going [on] for years, it is just getting much worse lately..
- Did you expect anything else from a CIA front?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:06:36 pm by Luck »

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 08:42:35 am »

The FDA don't need to provide notice to companies, they have direct authority to regulate advertisement for any product which claims to be a medicine. Its entirely legal.

Luck

• FSP Participant
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2012, 09:57:31 pm »

Illegal FDA Powers
The FDA don't need to provide notice to companies, they have direct authority to regulate advertisement for any product which claims to be a medicine. Its entirely legal.
* Supplements are not medicine. And the FDA is an unconstitutional extension of monopoly capitalism, since big biz owns it and owns Congress and the Administration.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:08:12 pm by Luck »

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 11:16:04 am »

That wouldn't make it unconstitutional. It would make it 'crony capitalism'.

Luck

• FSP Participant
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2012, 02:20:35 pm »

* Anything that violates human rights is unconstitutional. Theft violates human rights. Our self-government has been stolen from us. The Bill of Rights is part of the Constitution. Also the unwritten organic constitution is part of it.

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: Libertarian Health Dept. (Update: War on Gardens)
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 05:57:53 pm »

City Officials Are Waging a War on Gardens
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/newsletter-archive/2012/08/08.aspx
    Across the United States and Canada a war is being waged against urban homeowners who want to plant gardens on their own property.
    From Quebec to Oklahoma to New Jersey to Michigan and Georgia, people who have the “audacity” to try growing their own fresh, organic foods are being forced to pull up their plants, or in some cases, have had them dug up by city machinery.
    Legal codes that outlaw planting vegetables on a large percentage of your yard, or restrict them to only certain areas, like the backyard out of view of the public, truly defy all common sense, as vegetable gardens are far more environmentally friendly than lawns, which demand chemicals, mowing and watering while giving nothing in return.
    When governments start meddling with the issue of food freedom, including the ability to grow your own food on your own land, it is a serious affront, as most people would agree this is an absolute, basic, and unalienable right.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2012, 11:08:21 pm »

* Anything that violates human rights is unconstitutional. Theft violates human rights. Our self-government has been stolen from us. The Bill of Rights is part of the Constitution. Also the unwritten organic constitution is part of it.
The BoR is a part of the US Constitution, but it doesn't prohibit the federal government from controlling interstate commerce. And sets the SCOTUS as arbitrator to what that defines. As Greap pointed out, once one makes a health claim its generally going to fall under someone's scope of judgement. If not, we could all just make claims without proof.

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: Libertarian Health Dept. (Update: War on Gardens & Pigs)
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2012, 03:16:10 pm »

Small Farmers of Heritage-Breed Pigs Under Attack in Michigan

On April 1, 2012, the Invasive Species Order (ISO), issued by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (MDNR), went into effect
    The ISO prohibits anyone in the state from possessing what MDNR defines as “invasive species of swine,” which can basically include any type of hog raised outside of concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs)
    Any farmer or other individual found to be in possession of such a hog could be charged with a felony and subjected to up to two years in jail and a $20,000 fine
    The ISO threatens farmer’s rights and may make sustainably raised pastured pork essentially illegal, and very hard to come by in the state
    The ISO is not a law; rather, it’s an “action” or “order” that’s been taken by a state agency; as such, Michigan Governor Rick Snyder has the authority to tell MDNR to rescind the ISO, and your help is needed to prompt this action
Sign the online petition opposing the ISO http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/petitions/pnum1097.php
Send a fax to Governor Snyder http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/petitions/pnum1097.php

ewillers73

Re: Libertarian Health Dept. (Update: War on Gardens & Pigs)
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2012, 11:18:00 pm »

I used to own a butcher shop, key phrase was used to.  The state made so many regulations in one year that my shop which had been in business since 1971 was forced to shut down.  The lobbyist for the CAFO like Tyson and Cargill wanted to make it only legal for animals to be cut up by the bigger producers.  The first step was not allowing their "farmers" to sell anything  to anyone but them, when that didn't work they just started making regulation after regulation to put little guys like me out of business.  I employed on average 4-5 people and myself .  We did it all from the animal being brought in alive to taking it out in pkgs.  The new regulations called for me to raise my ceilings so that carcass' could only hang in halves instead of quarters, I was supposed to install a 1000 gallon holding tank before my lagoon, then another 1000 gallon holding tank before a new lagoon, then yet one more 1000 gallon tank before yet a final third lagoon.  I only had 4 acres and they knew it.  The county DNR told me they could get someone (his brother-in-law) to put those in for me quickly so I wouldn't have much down time.  The week after I told the inspectors and state to piss off, Cargill calls me and says they heard about my trouble and wanted to offer me a line supervisor job for $8.50/ hr.  I am still making payments on that place just sitting there.  They will eventually try to get all forms of self-reliance eliminated so that we are dependent on them for sustinance.

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: Libertarian Health Dept. (Update: Farm Tek)
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2012, 06:18:07 pm »

Hey, E Willers, there's some good news now and then too. Here's some that I just came across.
(Video:) Marcin Jakubowski: Open-sourced blueprints for civilization
http://www.ted.com/talks/marcin_jakubowski.html
Building A Village Starts With Building The Tractor
http://www.npr.org/2012/02/19/147110017/building-a-village-one-home-brewed-tool-at-a-time

A Mad Scientist’s 50 Tools for Sustainable Communities
http://www.colomboherald.com/earth/a-mad-scientists-50-tools-for-sustainable-communities
... In the middle of rural Missouri there is a physicist-turned-farmer looking to redefine the way we build the world. Marcin Jakubowski is the mastermind behind a group of DIY enthusiasts known as Open Source Ecology and their main project, the Global Village Construction Set. The network of engineers, tinkerers, and farmers is working to fabricate 50 different low-cost industrial machines. A complete set, they say, would be capable of supporting a sustainable manufacturing and farming community of about 200 people almost anywhere across the globe—a “small-scale civilization with modern comforts.”
... The communities Jakubowski is hoping to build will all be sustainable, energy-efficient, and off-grid. Additionally, as the name of his organization implies, all of his designs are open-source, available to anyone with an Internet connection and basic welding skills. As Jakubowski himself admitted last month during his presentation as a TED Fellow in Long Beach, California, it’s “a very big, hairy, audacious goal” to seek to build and distribute the plans for all 50 of the machines. Oh, and he hopes to finish the bulk of the designing by the end of 2012.
* This should be a good match for hackerspaces.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:34:42 pm by Luck »

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: Libertarian Health Dept. (Update: Farm Tek - Free Towns)
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2012, 07:39:55 pm »

Free Towns
* Here's more on Jakubowski's plans.
http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Marcin_Jakubowski
http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Factor_e_Farm_Social_Contract_v1.0

Factor e Farm is an experimental community for creating post-scarcity, resilient communities. Our means to this end are developing the enabling infrastructure – via open source technology and open source economic development methods. We focus on open source methods in order to facilitate the replication of such communities.

Our means to absorbing new participants are Dedicated Project Visits (DPVs). These are typically one month long. Anyone interested in long-term (one year or longer) must first go through a trial period of three DPVs. Each DPV includes an evaluation period at the end of the visit to determine whether the participant should continue their engagement at FeF. The goal of these three DPVs is to determine whether the participant is a good match for Factor e Farm.

FeF is a rigorous experiment with the explicit goal of determining whether post-scarcity economics can be realized on the scale of city-states or even villages. One requirement of our design is autonomy, intended for the unequivocal goal of eliminating geopolitical compromise. By autonomy, we mean the ability to produce a complete, integrated economy – based on efficient means of production. We note that built-in mechanisms of geopolitical compromise are the norm in modern commerce, which we aim to address by developing open source economies founded on the capacity for post-scarcity production.

It is reasonable to conclude that as long as a community is dependent on remote power centers, it does not have control over its own destiny. This means that geopolitical compromise such as wars, abject poverty, wage slavery, mass culture, and many other deprivations continue to be the worldwide norm. We are interested in eliminating these compromises by creating communities that can provide all their own needs resiliently, based primarily on local resources – without external interference.

The above experiment cannot work in isolation. It can succeed only if a global network of similar autonomous communities is created. This explains our open source approach with the stated goal of replicability.

* See more at the links above.

ewillers73

Re: Libertarian Health Dept. (Update: Farm Tek - Free Towns)
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2012, 12:05:08 am »

that's pretty cool.  It's probably about 4.5 hrs from my house.  I might have to ride bike up there and check it out if I get a day off.

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2012, 01:14:14 am »

The BoR is a part of the US Constitution, but it doesn't prohibit the federal government from controlling interstate commerce. And sets the SCOTUS as arbitrator to what that defines.

Actually, the SCOTUS declared THEMSELVES to have the power of constitutional review in the early 1800's; that is not stated anywhere in Article 3 of the Constitution, though many founders were in favor of the idea. It should be noted, this decision was by the Marshall court, who had several other decisions that expanded federal powers beyond the original intent of (most of) the founders. And John Marshall was one of the justices appointed by Adams, of the Federalist / Hamiltonian party, the people who wanted the Federal government to have expansive powers and be just like the English government of the time except with the titles changed. They even addressed Washington like Englishmen addressed the King, and this is where the celebration of Washington's birthday came from.

Even though the originalist / only expressly delegated powers view, the view of Jefferson, won legislative and presidential elections in 1800, the Hamiltonian view held on for 30+ years because of lifetime "good behavior" tenure of judges. By then, federal power had changed so much that the Jeffersonian view was only supported by some people, and at most, one of the two major parties, until it was abandoned entirely in the 1890's.

Many of the founders always intended that the states, and their people, would be the final check on federal power, not the Supreme Court, a part of that federal government.

Also, it should be noted that there is no lack of documentation, to support that the people who wrote the interstate commerce clause did not mean that Congress could make any rules they wished about interstate commerce, or control the actions of private citizens. The clause was intended ONLY as states giving up the rights to place tariffs on good crossing into their states, with Congress enforcing this free-trade zone. The definition changed because of judicial activism. Regulate meant at the time, "to make or keep regular", not "to make rules".
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 01:18:02 am by 10stateswithnh »
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 14   Go Up

anything